Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free...

Hi,

I'm Puzz, and I've been hanging around these dfw threads and diaries for a long time now... I've tried many times to sort out the money mess I have made but have now hopefully settled on a path that will lead me to where I wish to be...

What I don't know is how I didnt' know about DMP's before, as I say I've been here for at least 5 years if not longer and only discovered them in my darkest place back in July.

So this diary is to track my progress, keep me in check and maybe offer someone else some assistance along my way! :)

I have been in debt my entire adult existance. I am now the wrong side of 40 and still in debt. I wouldn't say I've had my head in the sand as I can tell you exactly how much I owe and to who at any given time. I have this all written in my special money book that goes back to 2008..

The debt has increased year on year, but slowly over the last 3 until this summer when it all caught up with me again and I realised that I had to do something now. I have tried snowballing but never had enough snow to throw the ball far enough away! And don't talk to me about consolidating.....

Stumbling across the dmp mutual support thread, I then researched debt management plans and went onto StepChange website did the debt remedy.. and there was my answer. I have read threads 7,8 and 9 of the dmp support thread, it is a wonderful place and if you are thinking of a dmp it is a great place to start.

My debt is huge and is going to get bigger before it gets smaller which is perfectly normal at the start of a dmp. I'm still at the sending letters and token payments stage, my new bank account is up and running and my salary switch is at the end of the month. It is at this point when my largest creditor (od/loan and cc) will be receiving the news that I don't want to do this anymore.

I spent the money I don't deny that. I have every intention of paying it back. BUT... I have paid out a fortune in interest and I no longer feel guilty that I can't do it anymore. I will be working very hard to get my creditors to play nice with me, and am more than prepared to sharpen my claws and involve the FOS when needed.

So that's the start.. I know a dmp isn't for everyone, I know it will trash my credit record, but I don't want credit anymore. I want to live again..

I think that's enough waffle for one morning, and being a cat its probably time I stretched out and had a little kip... oops no I've got work to do.... maybe later...:)

Christmas 2020 £109
I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
£60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685

Comments

• Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Its hard to stay cheerful when the weather is as miserable as it is here at the moment. At least I'm inside and dry, just a bit chilly... but i refuse to put the heating on, it didn't go off until May this year and I haven't built up my normal winter credit yet!

I am a huge fan of reduced food purchasing and have been doing this for a few years now. My freezer contains only meat/poultry products with yellow/orange stickers on.. It makes meal planning more fun and varied and we get to eat a variety of foods that we may not of 'chosen' otherwise.. well actually my OH probably wouldn't choose them anyway but he eats what he gets cooked..:) in the last month we've had venison burgers, tuna, monkfish and duck.. we also eat a lot of sausages of different flavours. not sure why sausages appear in the reduced aisles so often..good job we like them..!

As I'm out and about around food shops all the time, I have a habit of picking up my bargains whenever I see them.. this has to stop as there is no room in the freezer and we need eat what is already there.. or buy another freezer... NO..... I hate missing out on a bargain.... will debate this thought..

I'm rambling away to myself its very theraputic especially after I opened a statement from one of my creditors to see the balance going up.. I know this is going to happen but its still a bit scary..

Interupted by the phone rinigng, thought it may be a creditor as I have only spoken to 2 of the 5 that are so far aware but no it was BG trying to sell me something as per... heart beat can now return to normal...

Anyway back to food, I love food.. I could buy/cook/talk about and eat food all day if I could.. good job i'm only 4lb overweight.. My ideal job would be one of those shoppers you see in the supermarket doing other people's shopping...

I even photograph my dinner for a thread on here.. now that sounds a bit sad now i've said it particularly as i'm no chef.. but its good to have a hobby and at least I can always meal plan from my lovely photo's...:rotfl:

Anyway best get back to some work now....
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sale and Bargain - love 'em. Infact SALE signa used to be the only reason why i enter shops and I only buy sale items. I thought it was a good idea but I buy things I don't even need not even want for that matter.

Anyhow, SALE means being WISER now.
    Salary Loan: $16,737.42; $ 14,099.64
    Credit Card1: $6,200.73;
    $ 4,846.11; $1,808.21
    Credit Card2: €1,357.07;
    € 365.97
    Sibling Loan: €2,066.77/$1,150.00 --- Friend Loan:
    €3000,00 - PAID ---Fiance Loan: €5000,00

Mission: To SAVE money but pay debts first. update as of: 13-11-2014
  • Puzzcat
    Hi beanielou and trixie888 thanks for popping by!

Today I have been treated to lunch which was very nice, I very rarely go out for meals or get takeaways/sandwiches etc as I have access to my home kitchen during the day. The downside is hearing about another family fallout, I shall do my best not to get involved as there is always blame on both sides and i don't like playing piggy in the middle !

I do visit my office most days, but find the atmosphere very difficult there, as its prodominently female and someone is always upset with someone eise.. I guess that's why I enjoy how I do work as I don't have to be in for very long if at all somedays..

Letter today from one of my creditors asking for authorisation for my dmp company to speak with them.. assume I just complete it and send it back but have referred the question over to the good peeps on the dmp thread for advice..

I'm looking forwards to getting the ball rolling properly on my dmp, which should be end of the month hopefully. Just tying up the loose ends but i do feel a little in limbo at the moment..

All rather quiet otherwise, will need to hit a supermarket later but its one that's not known for its great food reductions so my overfull freezer should be safe for another day...

Now I shall get on with doing some surveys and earn a few more pennies for the christmas pot, then school run and supermarket. Followed by a lazy evening in front of the tv.. for a change...:rotfl:I do this everyday... It is one of the things I am planning on changing once I get my dmp all sorted and I shall then work on sorting me....
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Puzzcat
    edited 19 September 2013 at 3:32PM
    Having just done a long post and it disappearing on me, I shall stick to the facts of my day...

Money saving/making.. surveys - one poll up to £37.30 so just £2.70 till payout hopefully end of the months so will receive it in time for christmas shopping. Always budgetted for christmas as I love christmas and document my spends every year... £3 received from another survey and banked into savings.. little acorns and all that...

Raining.. boo...

Free weekend, would like to have got hair cut and some new work tops but no funds in budget yet so will trawl charity shops saturday, for tops not hair..:rotfl:

Thinking of things to do that don't involve spending money.. I used to do Mystery shopping but always spent over the budget dipping into the profit and was rubbish at saving for the tax man... I am thinking of some voluntary work maybe....

Short and sweet in case it doesn't like this post either and I don't have time to do another as school run beckons....
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Puzzcat
    Friday, I do love a friday...

Wine is open and poured....

Productive day, I have written my 4 letters to the creditors who don't yet know I'm entering a dmp, these will be posted friday after I can confirm my wages have gone into my new account. Also paperwork ready to send to SC, bar my wage slip that I will also have on friday..

So next friday its all go... as long as the bank get on with closing the joint account.. movement is happening as they have transferred a whole 73p from the joint to my own account leaving enough to pay the interest in it, so hope by monday this will be closed..

On a duff note received my cheque for switching mortgage products paid out jointly.. no account to put it in so have to write back to them to request an individual name.. oh well means it can't be spent and I have earmarked it for christmas..

2 letters from creditors today.. Halifax have now sent me 4 letters all the same, despite me having spoken to someone... lovely letter from m & s, but will wait to see how they all play when dmp set up...

Next lot of token payments and second letters ready for the creditors who will soon be missing a second payment.. its like a second job keeping on top of all this..

Still smiling, still hoping it will all be ok...

have to smile:) as its the weekend.... its scary how quick they rush round.... And a charity shopping day planned for tomorrow.. so back to my wine...:D
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Puzzcat
    So back from my charity shopping trip.. bought 1 top for me and 2 dvd's for my dd, had a sandwich before I went so didnt need to stop for lunch whilst out... I went to 2 slightly 'posher' villages, and I have to say I think they overprice the clothes some in these areas.. bit cheaper where I usually go...

No other spends needed today and no money making either as one poll hs nothing new to offer me so still need £2.30 to reach payout for that.

So not a very exciting day, normal housework and washing done... nice evening planned with a friend coming over for nachos, dips, wine and chatter...

Even the postman didn't bring anything interesting except a couple of statements.. with huge balances...:eek: filed them....
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Puzzcat
    edited 23 September 2013 at 11:31AM
    Still all quiet in my little dmp land... I don't think I'll be saying that next week when the rest of my letters land on appropriate desks....

Finally some news on the joint account that is now no longer showing on my online banking so just need to receive that promised 'it is closed letter' hopefully in the next few days....

One of my cats is a bit poorly, I do usually rush to the vets but as he seems okay in himself I have rung them for advice and made an appointment for tomorrow evening so will how he is for another 24 hours... i have told OH he will be paying mind.....:)

Update, felt too guilty about my puzz so have moved appointment to tonight..

New bank account still in credit.. so exciting.... not a lot but I shall move anything left over after payday into one of my many saving accounts.. most have a whole £1 in at the moment...

Still working to budget, I have 4 plastic wallets labelled and each week am splitting cash into the appropriate wallets. I am also recording all my spends against budget catagories so I can see which one needs more and which one I can rob to feed it..:)

A disaster in the kitchen last night when the bottle shelf in the ancient fridge broke off when I opened it and 2 bottles of wine smashed onto the floor... luckily not my wine..:rotfl:
    OH says 'do we need a new fridge?' well yes if he's paying otherwise it can join queue for replacement items..

So onwards and upwards another week begins, one step closer to my dmp starting..:eek:
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Puzzcat
    Todays jobs..

Paid £10 into one of my savings accounts from my 50p stash, this is for a wedding next summer. I save and snaffle all loose change and put it into different savings accounts, amazing how it adds up..

Done onepoll now need £1-80 to pay out..

Nearly at £5 payout on another survey site..

Poorly cat cost £47...:eek: for an examination, some probiotics and some sensitive food...he's not impressed with any of it, but I shall persevere... Luckily OH paid for that one...

Received statement from joint account with CLOSED ACCOUNT on it, so I think we can assume that job is done and roll on friday when I post everything out... must remember to cancel the last dd on my account for a loan due on the 1st.. This was the only debt that was going down and I'm sad that it has to be included as I have been paying it for 5 1/2 years, with only 1 1/2 left to run, but hey ho.. that's the rules of a dmp....

Think that's about it on the money side today.. got the afternoon off so am heading to town for a few essentials..

Hope anyone reading this is having a good day and you haven't all fallen asleep in the process....:rotfl:
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Puzzcat wrote: »
    Todays jobs..

Paid £10 into one of my savings accounts from my 50p stash, this is for a wedding next summer. I save and snaffle all loose change and put it into different savings accounts, amazing how it adds up..

Done onepoll now need £1-80 to pay out..

Nearly at £5 payout on another survey site..

Poorly cat cost £47...:eek: for an examination, some probiotics and some sensitive food...he's not impressed with any of it, but I shall persevere... Luckily OH paid for that one...

Well done on your 50p stash! i do the same with 20ps.. although that always takes longer!! :j

I've always wondered about polls and surveys. never know where to go for these though!

Poor kitty.. hope its nothing serious... :) my kitty was hit by a car last December and ended up unable to walk for a few weeks.. hes healed fine just walks a bit oddly hehe... x
    LBM 17/09/2013 [STRIKE]£4283.40[/STRIKE] November 2015 total [STRIKE]£4339.45[/STRIKE]
    Current total 29/11/2015 £4226.43
    CC - £3844.31 :eek: NW OD - [STRIKE]£500[/STRIKE] £382.12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport