Scottish Power unfairly charged me early termination fee.

My dual fuel deal with Scottish Power ended on 30.06.13, so I initiated a switch to a cheaper supplier during June (via the cheap energy club), asking the new supplier not to switch me until after the above date.
My supply of elec was transferred on July 10th, and gas transferred on July 24th.
I was therefore shocked to eventually receive a final electricity statement with a £30 early termination fee deducted from my credit refund.
I rang them on July 22nd to query this, and was told that I was being charged as my new supplier had INFORMED them of my proposed switch on June 25th (5 days before end date).
I have since been trying to get this fee refunded as I was a Scottish Power electricity customer until July 10th, but after several emails they are refusing to budge.
As I was still a customer after 30th June (and after being transferred onto their much costlier standard tariff!), how can they justify charging me?
It's a double whammy, you HAVE to transfer onto their expensive standard tariff AND you get charged for leaving early!
Surely this can't be right, it certainly isn't ethical.

In addition, I am still waiting for my gas credit refund, and have just discovered that they will be sending me £30 less than I was told I would receive on 22nd July!!! Presumably they are charging me again?!?!
My gas account was finalised A MONTH ago, but they now want me to give them my address to send it to AGAIN :mad:

Is there anywhere that I can further my complaint, and is my new supplier responsible for informing them early despite my request not to?

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    My dual fuel deal with Scottish Power ended on 30.06.13, so I initiated a switch to a cheaper supplier during June (via the cheap energy club), asking the new supplier not to switch me until after the above date.
    You can't do that ;)
    My supply of elec was transferred on July 10th, and gas transferred on July 24th.
    I was therefore shocked to eventually receive a final electricity statement with a £30 early termination fee deducted from my credit refund.
    I rang them on July 22nd to query this, and was told that I was being charged as my new supplier had INFORMED them of my proposed switch on June 25th (5 days before end date).
    I have since been trying to get this fee refunded as I was a Scottish Power electricity customer until July 10th, but after several emails they are refusing to budge.
    As I was still a customer after 30th June (and after being transferred onto their much costlier standard tariff!), how can they justify charging me?
    It's a double whammy, you HAVE to transfer onto their expensive standard tariff AND you get charged for leaving early!
    Surely this can't be right, it certainly isn't ethical.

In addition, I am still waiting for my gas credit refund, and have just discovered that they will be sending me £30 less than I was told I would receive on 22nd July!!! Presumably they are charging me again?!?!
    My gas account was finalised A MONTH ago, but they now want me to give them my address to send it to AGAIN :mad:

Is there anywhere that I can further my complaint, and is my new supplier responsible for informing them early despite my request not to?

If, as appears lucky for you, your switch did not occur until after 30th June, then an ETC should not apply.

Follow the suppliers complaint procedure if necessary.

What have you received to suggest you will be getting a refund of your gas credit less £30??? :huh:

• Is there anywhere that I can further my complaint, and is my new supplier responsible for informing them early despite my request not to?

Your new supplier complied with your request not to switch your supply until the cancellation period had expired.

The fault is with SP and there are several threads complaining of similar behaviour.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62655801&highlight=#post62655801

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4582787&page=3 (From post #54)

If you haven't already done so, set out your complaint in writing, post recorded and confirm by email. Follow the complaints procedure as outlined on the SP website.

If it is put into deadlock or has not otherwise been satisfactorily resolved after 8 weeks, you can complain to the Ombudsman Services (Energy).

Copy your complaint to Consumer Futures as per post #22 in the first link. They are making enquiries into this practice.
  • Wywth wrote: »
    You can't do that ;)

If, as appears lucky for you, your switch did not occur until after 30th June, then an ETC should not apply.

Follow the suppliers complaint procedure if necessary.

What have you received to suggest you will be getting a refund of your gas credit less £30??? :huh:
    Thanks Wywth and DirectDebacle for your replies and useful links.

The new supplier (Flow) estimated a switch date well into July, so I didn't anticipate any problem with fees.

I received a cheque (without explanation or statement of any kind) on July 22nd for about a quarter of the amount of my dual fuel credit.

I rang SP on July 22nd and was told the cheque was for my electricity credit only (as gas was still being supplied by SP until July 24th), minus a £30 early termination fee. I was also told at that time that I would receive about £75 gas refund and not be charged another fee (as gas was ending in 2 days).
    The email I received yesterday, however, said I will only be getting £44. Big discrepancy....co-incidently about £30!:cool:

I have complained twice by email (so far!), but will now wait to receive my final gas statement for accurate info before escalating the complaint.

Rest assured I will not let this drop, and will follow your suggestions and advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure