We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

default disappeared from credit file?

Options
brians_daughter
brians_daughter Posts: 2,148 Forumite
edited 26 June 2013 at 9:22AM in Credit file & ratings
I posted last week regarding advice for my brother - short (er) version is he was offered a job subject to credit check, failed the check due to his ex using a catalogue they had whilst together, she didn't pay it, he knew nothing of the amounts owing as she moved the address, then it defaulted.

Job said if he paid the default and it showed as zero balance they would re-offer the job. I said I would pay it so as to secure him the new job, but I cant lend the full amount. I was set up as a named 3rd party so I could negotiate with the DCA. We verbally agreed to a 52% settlement as full and final - pending them issuing a letter to confirm all this, which we still haven't had but it was only a few days ago.

My brother has kept the possible jobs HR department up to date with what we are trying to do, how it all happened etc. and this morning the possible employer has called my brother to say they have re-sent him the job offer. He asked what had changed, they said they re-checked his file and the default is no longer present. HR said they were looking for any indication that the default wasn't his i.e. different address or something but its just disappeared.

I have also checked, with his permission and both experien and Equifax do not show the default. I know that if a default is sold on it can sometimes not show for a few weeks whilst they change the default name over but im not sure if this is the case? I had spoken to the original creditor and the DCA that was trying to collect it and both stated the debt was still owned by the original creditor so I cant see the sense in them selling it on when both companies knew an agreement had been reached?

Anyone any ideas as to what/why this has happened?

He has been told that he will be checked again towards the end of his probation period due to the adverse credit that showed initially so its not a matter of hes been checked today, its not there so happy days. Obviously ringing the original creditor/DCA would be sensible but isn't that alerting them to the fact the default isn't showing?

TIA
Anna

ETA the default was only registered in May last year, so isn't 6 year old or anything.

Comments

• The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was it a joint account? I'm wondering if it was in her name and he has now been disassociated with her, hence the default disappearing from view on his file.
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    No, it was in his name only.

He paid the balance off when she moved out but she changed the address of the account online and was ordering things to be delivered to her new address. We realise its actually fraud but they have kids together so he wont be involving the police etc.

Just seems odd that I spoke to the DCA and less than 48 hours later the default has been removed. I didn't mention the whys and wherefores of how the default happened just that I wanted to negotiate a f&f with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport