PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I trust Spare room website ??

Options
My son is doing an unpaid internship in London this summer. He is trying to find affordable student accommodation reasonably near zone 1. Plenty of houses in spare room website. But as we live in the midlands it is impossible to check them out. Estate agents dont do short term lets. any suggestions?

Comments

• samehat
    samehat Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend paying anything until you have seen the place. It can be costly and time consuming to look for a place but it's worth it so you don't end up scammed.

When I moved here from Paris to do a post grad i had to make two advance trips - one for the interview and one to look for accommodation. For the accomm search i stayed 3 nights in a b&b; it was just enough time but didn't give me much choice. That's in the midlands , I don't know about London.

Best of luck with it.
  • jamie11
    jamie11 Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Options
    wanderer wrote: »
    Estate agents dont do short term lets. any suggestions?

No they don't, it might be better for him to look for a short term lodging rather than a flat or room on contract. Lodgers have much less security of tenure but can leave with little notice if needed at any time.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter has just started an unpaid internship near Southampton. She is renting a spare room in the flat of one of the staff - maybe worth asking if they could put an ad on their notice board to see if anyone had a spare room? Likely to work out cheaper too.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    i lived in the midlands before moving to london, i just arranged all viewings on a day i had free to view them all and decided.

it wont be difficult to go and view them before moving in.

i only had a week to find places when i moved and i was working 5 days of that.

if your son has a bike and doesn't mind cycling abit, it might be cheaper to get something abit further out and cycling into zone 1.
    or if not, look into travelcards to use the tube, which together with a lower cost accomadation further out could work out cheaper than something in zone 1
  • tim123456789
    tim123456789 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    99% of the scammers can be found out by telling them that you want to see the property before deciding. They will come back and give you a sob story about being "let down" by previous viewers so they will have to charge you a security deposit in case you don't turn up

of course - it's a scam and the property doesn't exist.

There's a tiny tiny chance that the scammer will actually have access to the building that they are using for their scam and will show you around, get you to sign a lease, take your deposit and advanced rent and then on move in day you turn up to find that the real owners/occuipiers have returned from their holiday and you can't get in. This is a tough one to call, if they have set it up right
  • Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    I think the OP is asking if spareroom.co.uk is legit? On a straw poll of one (i.e. me) they are perfectly fine but then I'm not renting in London. I found my weekday lodgings through them that I've now been using for over a year and have had no problems at all. Your contract is with the owner and the site doesn't have any involvement in your discussions - they are a 'shop window' for people to advertise their lets. In any case you can use the site to make a shortlist then contact the owners for a viewing. Legit owners will not demand any money up front at this stage.
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Vazz_2
    Vazz_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I would use free website such us gumtree, but beware of scammers there as well. In short, if something looks too good to be truth, it probably is.

Perhaps YMCA could be a good starting point before actually starting visiting properties?
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Someone asked a similar question a little while ago and someone else suggested that they contact the some of the London universities as they rent out their halls of residences during the summer. I also heard this on a tv programme recently (either Watchdog or Martin Lewis')
  • kBHX
    kBHX Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I've used spareroom.co.uk myself both as a lodger and live-in landlord in the past. Its a great site! The ads become free to view / contact after 7 days. As mentioned the site doesn't get involved in the process of selecting, vetting potential lodgers or landlords. That is your responsibility but I always found it a brilliant website.
  • anokayperson
    anokayperson Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    another good site is airbnb. These operate across the world and are rooms for a night/s week, month - its your choice - good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure