Debenhams credit card!

Options
Hi, I took out a debenhams credit card less than a couple of weeks ago, as I was offered 10% off. Its been a right pain, I've activated it 3 times and no luck with it working! The thing thats really irritating is I want to register for online banking, but the forms don't do anything when I click submit. Have tried using different browsers but no luck. I want to pay it off and close the account. I can't find any numbers to call!
Please help, it's driving me crazy!

Comments

• cld28
    cld28 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I had a Debenhams card for a while until I closed it earlier this year. Try calling Customer Services on 0871 522 5050, perhaps you can make a payment over the telephone? Alternatively you could try the online help desk on 0871 522 5050 or simply wait for your statement and clear it in full!
  • sheepy21
    sheepy21 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    cld28 wrote: »
    Hi, I had a Debenhams card for a while until I closed it earlier this year. Try calling Customer Services on 0871 522 5050, perhaps you can make a payment over the telephone? Alternatively you could try the online help desk on 0871 522 5050 or simply wait for your statement and clear it in full!

Thanks for your reply :) I'm worried that the statement might not come through where nothing is "right" with them. Did your statement come through ok and you paid it off fine? No problems with it?
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it a Debenhams credit card (which can be used anywhere) or a store card (which can only be used in Debenhams).

I've got the store card and thought I had to register it somehow,but you don't. There's no pin number or anything like that, you just sign for purchases.

The statement came through ok and I pay online from my bank account. When setting it up I seem to recall it asked what kind of account it was, as the type (credit or store) makes all the difference.

Hope this helps.
  • cld28
    cld28 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    sheepy21 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply :) I'm worried that the statement might not come through where nothing is "right" with them. Did your statement come through ok and you paid it off fine? No problems with it?

Hi - I did not receive paper statements for my account because I managed it all online. However as the previous post mentioned if you know the account number (which customer services could tell you) and the balance on the card then you can pay through a transfer via your bank
  • sheepy21
    Options
    cld28 wrote: »
    Hi - I did not receive paper statements for my account because I managed it all online. However as the previous post mentioned if you know the account number (which customer services could tell you) and the balance on the card then you can pay through a transfer via your bank

I bank with Nationwide and went to do as you suggested buy my account number doesn't match the first few digits nationwide expected??? I take it it does want the account number I got on the letter with my card?
  • DuncanCat
    DuncanCat Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you try ringing them rather than asking people on a forum who's answers may or may not be correct!

Don;t use the 0871 nos as these are in essence, premium rate nos. Try 0208 181 0000 which is the number they provide from overseas and the no that i use when I contact them.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    There will be a general Sort Code & Account number that needs to be quoted, your card number is then used as a payment reference number.. failing that telephone them...
    I bank with Nationwide and went to do as you suggested buy my account number doesn't match the first few digits nationwide expected??? I take it it does want the account number I got on the letter with my card?
  • sheepy21
    Options
    DuncanCat wrote: »
    Why don't you try ringing them rather than asking people on a forum who's answers may or may not be correct!

Don;t use the 0871 nos as these are in essence, premium rate nos. Try 0208 181 0000 which is the number they provide from overseas and the no that i use when I contact them.

Don't you think I'd phone if it was that simple??? All I've seen is a 10p per min number to India where they are clueless. I'll spend a fortune and get nowhere! They've already proven they're useless, had to call 3 times to activate the damn thing :mad:
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2013 at 1:41AM
    Options

The Debenhams card is listed under "credit cards" in Nationwide BS online banking for the mastercard

It is also listed under "store cards" for the non-mastercard store card

If you have the mastercard version and select "credit card" from the list and enter the credit card 16 digit number it should be accepted

If you selected "store card" Nationwide BS online banking it won't accept the number if it is a mastercard and vise versa
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DuncanCat
    DuncanCat Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you think I'd phone if it was that simple??? All I've seen is a 10p per min number to India where they are clueless. I'll spend a fortune and get nowhere! They've already proven they're useless, had to call 3 times to activate the damn thing :mad:

I quite agree with the comment re 0871 nos (particularly as I make my calls from a mobile hence costing 34p a minute).

That's why I provided a landline no as that at least avoids the need to pay extortionate charges to call them!

Quite agree re their level of customer service but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and persevere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure