Club la costa HELP please

Options
Hi all, We are now a member here and like all of you we have had the same phone call from Club la costa. They have offered us a night in a London Hotel on the night of the presentation. We are quite far away from London so they offered us the hotel accommodation does anyone know if we DON'T sign up on the night will we be able to still take the accommodation for free or would we have to travel back home on the same day?

We will look forward to anyones advice on this matter.

Comments

• paulinespens
    paulinespens Posts: 253 Forumite
    Options
    remember there is no such thing as a free lunch. Sounds like a timeshare thing to me. I would steer clear personally.
  • nicky123_2
    nicky123_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I would stay well clear of this lot. We went to one of their presentations and managed to sit through it to get a free weeks holiday. Well it would be free except for the booking fee per person! which added up to £200 for 3 of us. We went on the holiday which was very nice and had to endure another presentation which was even more hard sell than the first, but as we had a very lively 2 yr old we made our excuses and left early. We did get another visit to our hotel room which we again managed to get out of as our toddler was very tired and it wasnt convenient! my advice is too get a last minute cheepy and enjoy being left alone!
  • PoppyUK_2
    Options
    Hi

My husband and I went to their presentation in London at the end of March. Yes, you do get a night in a London hotel, only not one of the nice ones they quote in their literature... the presentation afternoon and it is an afternoon, is hideous! We knew they would be trying to sell us timeshare, but figured we would keep saying no until we got the free holiday and could leave. However, we were presented with glossy brochures, a film and pushy salesmen playing good cop/bad cop and we actually felt that if the deal on offer stood up, we would be saving money in the long run - especially since you can also use a company called RCI to book holidays through. So we signed up for the 3 year deal and have not heard a cheep since. My husband has made several phone calls and we were promised our prelude holiday would be set up etc etc etc, but it wasn't. A legal letter is on it's way to CLC today. If we don't hear from them by 5pm tomorrow, we will cancel our direct debit and consider them in breach of contract. My husband's a lawyer, so I feel fairly safe leaving the aggro we will undoubtedly get, to him!

I would advise anyone to steer well clear of CLC and wish we'd gone with our gut instinct and just said NO!
  • sloppychops
    sloppychops Posts: 6,742 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • sellparttime
    sellparttime Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    We bought the Club la Costa trial membership..... Unfortunately the list of problems we experienced was and is endelss.

One example, we booked a holiday for the 26th of may 2006, just to be informed last friday the holiday is in France and not in Portugal (already booked plane tickets that cost £1500). Cutting a long story short, it is a complete waste of money as the same accommodation they would offer, we jsut payed £270 for 8 nights in a 4 star self catering apartment for 4 people.

Our friends also bought the trial membership. They experienced the same problems.

Last year in Spain we had a apartment very far from everything with a young child and it was awful. The day we booked out, there were about 10 other people at reception complaining.

My advise: stay away!!!!!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Come on people,always google-company name plus scam-usually yields results.
  • bigdic
    bigdic Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Flipping heck, that's pretty damning stuff about CLC. My folks have been members for years and love it to bits. They go about 3-4 holidays a year and are usually very pleased with the standard (on the very few times they weren't pleased they complained and were compensated). Me and the other half went to Tenerife last year using their membership and the accomodation was ideal.

Just to let you see the other side :)
  • PoppyUK_2
    Options
    Just an update... we cancelled our contract with CLC despite being way outside the cooling off period. Husband phoned the finance company and explained what had happened to us and said he wished to cancel the finance agreement because CLC were in breach of contract etc. Deep sigh from the lady on the other end of the phone who said "you're far from alone sir". No hassle from them at all and CLC haven't even bothered to respond to the letter! I think we're had a very lucky escape. Caveat Emptor would be my response to anyone thinking of attending the presentation and signing up!
  • rosefort
    Options
    hi my hubby and i where stupid enough to buy clc points and now we want out. we cant sell them (nobody wants them) and club la costa wont buy them back. the yearly fees are over £500 can anyone help????
    Rose
  • hyperion1066
    Options
    we're in the same boat- if anyones got a solution to this (have points- don't use them, need out instead of signing away thousands over the period of the agreement). Any help would be amazing...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure