Can anyone help me? Quote Me Happy are making it very difficult for me to pay them.

Options
Yes you read that right. I've not had any issues with Quote Me Happy since I got a car insurance policy with them last year, but the proverbial hit the fan a few months ago with my finances when I just didn't have any money to pay the direct debits. Now I'm having difficulty paying them...

I contacted them about my bank issues, asking if I could instead settle the remaining amount I owe on a credit card as I can no longer use my bank account to pay for the premium. I got a reply a couple of days later asking me to supply a phone number so they could ring me and arrange alternative payment. So I replied to that directly with a number and also a helpful note about what times it would be best to ring me. But I never got a real reply to that second email (just the standard automated response about it taking 1 working day for them to get back to me). Nor did I get a phone call either.

So this morning I went on the website again to email them and found a "pay now" button had appeared for an outstanding payment. So I tried to use it, went thru the process of entering my credit card details, only for it to not work. Tried it in three different browsers and checked my credit card account but nope, their website must be broken because it just won't work. So I email them again, telling them about all of this.

The respond I get back just says they're sorry I can't pay, and that "if I like I can pay by cheque".

Well... No I can't because of the same reason I can't pay the direct debits.

What am I supposed to do here? They ask me for a number, then don't ring me, their website let's me pay via credit card but is apparently broken, and they don't seem all that interested in that fact either.

Comments

• liamfahy
    liamfahy Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you ring them instead of emailing or using their website
  • Xandros
    Xandros Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    A sound suggestion, except they don't have a phone number...

"Quotemehappy.com are an online only insurance company and don't have call centres."

... is what they say in one way or another on their website. True to their word, they do not have a phone number to ring, or if they do I can't find it. Their "contact us" section only has an email us option.

I've replied to that email they sent me but have not received a reply. Just like last time, it seems like when I reply directly to their emails to me they don't bother to respond to them.

There must be something I can do here, they're threatening to cancel my policy if I don't pay the outstanding balance and yet their website is broken and won't let me pay and their "online support" is getting me no where.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm surprised the Aviva rep hadn't noticed this thread on Friday. Maybe Monday morning ....
  • Captain_Shambolic
    Options
    The Aviva rep won't have noticed this as Aviva don't deal with QMH. I can speak a little more freely on this as I no longer work for them but Aviva don't have access to QMH systems/policies or anything that would help QMH customers. They come under the Aviva umbrella but they will have their own staff (I have no clue where) who will deal only with emails.

I don't even want to start with the amount of times I had to explain this to people.
    I work for a leading insurance company as an Insurance Advisor dealing with Commercial Insurance. Feel free to ask me any questions but please do not take what I say as correct advice at all times, as every insurance company works differently to others.
  • Xandros
    edited 29 April 2013 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Well I wasn't expecting anyone from Aviva to get involved anyway.

I got a letter today, a notice of default on the payments missed. I'm royally !!!!ed off now. The last email I got from QMH was yet again totally ignoring the glaringly obvious issue that their damn website is broken (and still is as I've just tried it, again), and told me that I can change my payment method. Gave me the steps to do so...

Except I already tried this and the only payment method I can change to is another poxy bank account for direct debits.

They don't seem to be getting it thru their thick skulls that I cannot pay by direct debit anymore. I yet again emailed them telling them this and again gave them my phone number (I've been off work all day today). No email reply recieved and no phone calls.

Looking back I have no idea why they asked me to supply a phone number in that very first correspondence anyway because my number is clearly listed in my account's profile so why they couldn't get it from there...

I can't help but wonder if they're deliberately giving me the run around now because they don't want me to pay by credit card? The letter of default notice I got this morning tells me (again, as I already know) that I can pay be credit card but it actually mentions there's a percentage charge levied for credit cards (doesn't say anything like that on their web site). I don't mind paying that either, I just want to pay the damn outstanding balance...

But unsurprisingly the letter tells me to go on the website to pay it that way, but no matter how much I want to pay it, their website won't work.

I've just about had it with these idiots now. What should I do? I even tried following the "not happy?" link on their website which subsequently says my browser does not support session cookies. Which it does. Their website is quite clearly broken in several different place.

Should I contact the ombudsman about this? Or should I email them one last time and threaten to complain?

Also, what should I do about this default notice, surely they can't be allowed to get away with putting that on my file, because I've been trying to pay the thing but they seemingly won't let me. It's really unfair.:(
  • kynare
    kynare Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Having reviewed their website it does state;

The question

Can I change how I pay?

The answer

You will only be able to change the way you make your payment (say from direct debit to yearly payment) when your policy is up for renewal.

Maybe this is why you are unable to change the payment method from instalments to a lump sum payment and the only option they are offering is for a change in bank details for your direct debit.
  • Xandros
    Options
    I had read that, but then the alert I get when I log in to my account gives me a pay now button, and allows me, supposedly, to select a different payment method and pay via various different types of card, Visa Credit, Debit, Electron, Mastercard etc. That's what it says it accepts anyway. So they by their own admission accept credit cards to pay, at the very least, missed payments. It just doesn't work.

I have noticed when trying to use it though, if I continuously try and submit the payment details it keeps telling me "there appears to be a problem with your card number".

There isn't. And indeed the card works fine online; I used the card this morning for example to pay a BT bill. Checking, re-checking, and re-entering it multiple times results in the same thing. I'm trying to use a Visa credit card here, so that's the option i select in the drop down box, but it repeatedly either just reloads the page rather than going to any kind of confirmation page or it gives me that error. I even tried changing it to Visa debit or Visa electron just on the offchance that might work. it didn't.

So if it is indeed the case that, because I set up a direct debit they will only let me pay via a bank account, 1) they could easily have told me this one or more of the umpteen times I've contacted them about this, and I'd have just had to "deal with it". And 2: their website could be less misleading in making me believe I can pay the outstanding balance (at least) with a credit card).

On the other hand I will also mention again the notice of default letter I got this morning also states I can pay the outstanding balance with a credit card, it only adds there's a charge levied for credit card use where as debit cards or bank transfers are free (as is to be expected).
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phone the FOS and ask them if they have a phone number for QMH, explaining you have tried to contact them so you can make an outstanding payment but they refuse to supply a phone number.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • zeon999
    zeon999 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    I also had insurance with quote me happy, though I must say all they did was make me very sad, firstly had a nightmare trying to show them proof of no claims and had to end up contacting Aviva, who are the same people with different branding from what I can tell.

Then when the winter came and I wanted to change to winter tyres they would not allow it as I wanted them on smaller steel wheels, so ended up cancelling with them and getting it from these instead who managed to match the premium and were much more flexible towards my needs as a customer.
    http://www.onesureinsurance.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport