123.reg- How can you stop them taking money?

Options
Has anybody else had a problem trying to cancel their domain or hosting services with 123.reg?

I've never come across this situation before. I used them for many accounts for years. They've been fine. But recently after cancelling my accounts in good time, I've still been charged. I never stored my credit card details with them. They must have put them in my account as they were not there when I looked a little while back. They have auto renewed my hosting I cancelled on an expired credit card.

I contacted them through live chat and phone and they will not refund me. Instead, although I have said that I didn't ask for renewal and told them to cancel the products I didn't order- they are emailing me again to say i have to cancel my domain or it wil be renewed.

How else can I cancel them? Do i need to get in touch with icaan or something? I can't afford any more money to be taken. It's really shaken me up. Do I need to write to them? I thought phone was enough. Any experience of this or ideas? I'm at my wits end. Thanks.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So when you contacted them through live chat did you ask them how you should cancel in such a way that you would not be charged any more?

Have you looked at the T&Cs you agreed to?
    Do they offer any clue as to the best way to cancel?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/Account-Admin-and-Billing/how-do-i-cancel-or-change-my-123-reg-services-3490/

Did you follow their procedure to cancel? If yes do you have evidence of doing so?

If yes then raise it with your bank/card provider as an unauthorised charge.
  • Le73Uq86Uv
    Le73Uq86Uv Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    To prevent a domain name from being automatically renewed, please do the following:

1. Log into your 123-reg control panel.

2. From the
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Domain names [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]section, click on the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Allow expiry [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]link just below the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Domain renewals [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]option.

123-reg-account-administration-and-billing-guide
    Signature removed club member No1.

It had no link, It was not to long and I have no idea why.
  • Jinks
    Jinks Posts: 100 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2013 at 12:16PM
    Options
    I had the same problem with a different web hosting company. The problem is that they have a recurring payment authority on your card/account. This often causes consumers problems because it is "invisible" to the customer (it doesn't show up on online banking like a direct debit, for example). However, you can cancel it through your payment provider - you can go to your bank or card provider and inform them that you wish to withdraw the authority this company have to request money from your card/account. If it is on a credit card you may need to put it in writing.

I recommend first putting your cancellation request to 123reg in writing and sending it to them via registered mail so you have proof that you have requested cancellation. If you don't get a reply, send a second letter advising them that you are withdrawing their right to charge you due to their lack of response to your communication and any further attempts to charge you will be met with legal action. If they do try to charge you again after this, then all you need to do is show the bank/card provider a copy of the cancellation letter and proof of postage date and they will issue a chargeback for you as the money was taken illegally.

You don't mention how you originally tried to cancel, but if it is something you can prove (such as a letter) then the bank/card provider will refund the money they have taken. If not, unfortunately you may not get it back unless you can persuade 123 to refund you. The company I was with (1&1 Internet) charged me twice for a service I had cancelled with them both over the phone and in writing. After some strongly-worded letters they eventually issued a refund of the second charge because it was after I had requested the cancellation in writing, but they refused to refund the first charge because I couldn't prove that I had called them to cancel a month before it (despite my initiation of the cancellation showing on their system).

Companies like this can be devious in their moneymaking tactics - be very careful who you give your payment details to and what their terms are in the future.
  • Invisiblecustomer
    Invisiblecustomer Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2013 at 4:38PM
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply and excellent advice Jinks.

I indeed queried the recurring payment as I did not set this up with them. The original contract made two years ago and since cancelled and expired, did not set up this sort of payment either at the online checkout or in the website terms and conditions. They added this recurring notice to an email dated a few days ago when I saw they had billed me by charging me for a product- not even the same terms or price of product I may add, two years after my initial customer relationship with them. My card details had been added by them manually, not by myself. Hence why they actioned an expired, out of date card. Data protection issue here I feel which i may very well still pursue. Because despite numerous requests by them, I never put my card details in the user panel.

Anyway, after looking on the BBC website I found that the consumer is entitled to cancel this arrangement- the dreaded recurring payment or CPA (despite the fact i never set it up) with their card provider. I have done this and the card provider have flagged up that I will never be responsible for any payments asked for by 123.reg. The exact legal issue surrounding this and supported by the FSA(Financial Services Authority) is as follows- the Payment Services Regulations, which came into force in November 2009 and which means you can cancel recurring payments with your provider- you need not go to the retailer etc such as 123.reg- although you could approach them too, but can cancel with your bank/ card provider etc.

I have email confirmations of services cancelled from 123.reg too from a higher level in the company. I have also received a refund.

There are a few issues I would like to point out to people here as I have read on the internet that many have been caught out by 123.reg's payment system.

Firstly, don't use them unless you are happy to have your card, paypal details or any other payment option stored with them forever. And I mean forever. Even after cancellation- your account will remain live and your payment details may be kept on a recurring payment instruction. This is no lie as this had happend to me today, even after acknowledged cancellation. My account login and details - all there to be used by their staff as they always ask for your account password as identification if you phone and the card details they added- all in there still after closing down the account. So their staff have full access to your 123.reg account at any time, even after cancellation. That is how they managed to manually imput my card details to use 2 years later.

So if you use 123.reg your payment details will be stored and if they don't acknowledge cancellation and sometimes, even if they do- your products may be billed or renewed on auto renewal at any price or terms they chose as they never fully close your account down. Beware!
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say all firms I have dealt with will retain payment details. On querying this I am told this is done for 'Money Laundering' prevention as they can be called upon by Govt Agencies to provide these details. Of course, this could all be nonsense - like the 'Health & Safety' or 'Data protection' mantra's trotted out when you dislike what they plan to do with your money, service or private information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure