We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Spikey 'Weeds' - Blackberry/Raspberry??

Options
BeerBelly
BeerBelly Posts: 325 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

I got so much of this rubbish growing and taking everything over, I want to find a suitable herbicide/weedkiller that will help me get rid of it.

I have pulled as much roots out as I can, but a few weeks later ssome comes back.

I will try my best to describe it. It has a main, green shaft that is covered in thorns. So far can't see any fruit or flowering, but has small spikey 'branches' with green leaves. Anyone know what these are or could be? It seems to get everywhere!!

I have pulled a lot out (my arms now look like I self-harm!) and got the ground/soil level, but want to make sure the bleaders don't come back!

I read in another post laying carpet down will sort them out, but can't see them going the next time light hits them - Ive also got the tell the neighbours to fix their fence as they are coming over as well!

HELP!

Comments

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    Options
    Is it this? Ground elder?

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ground-elder.htm

If you search the website above they have pictures of common weeds and they tell you how to get rid of them.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    any chance you could take a pic? it could be brambles but you will have to dig out the roots to get rid of that.....
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • BeerBelly
    Options
    Will take a snap tonight.

Its not elder - the thorns and appearance are a lot more agressive.

Arr Brambles, let me see...
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    This is next on my list

I've got some as well that I'm wanting rid of - tried Glyphosate (Roundup) with little effect but it was pretty dry at the time so maybe the plant wasn't growing enough. Happened to see the Bramble Killer in a local shop and if the Glyphosate doesn't work next time (I've cleared most of the other stuff so can get a better shot at the brambles now) I'll be trying this - sorry I can't advise if it works or not.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I feel for you BeerBelly. I've had a constant battle with bramble B******* since we moved in here 8 years ago. I am constantly pulling them up and digging them out. However, my neighbours are not so persistent so they always creep back in from next door. :(
    Good luck!
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • BeerBelly
    Options
    Moved in recently.

Already done a massive improvement in the garden - dug up and happy with pulling up a lot of big roots, but all the brambles each side don't come from my garden! The stems/roots go back to both neighbours, so all I can do for the sides it cut it low, but it will cone back. The end of the garden is the biggest pain, but am getting there - just don't want it to become a chore like shaving! lol - I guess I could lay brick/decking at the end of the garden!?

On top of the that, both neighbours have trees that both come over into my garden!

Hacked one tree to bits (sorry God!) where it was coming over to my garden at the weekend, but can't get the branches right at the top!

Neighbours are nice enough, but have a lot of young kids, so guess clearing his brambles in his garden is not high up the list!

Guess common sense will prevail - pull as many roots and spray with bramble killer. Anyone know of good stuff I can treat soil with (Where I have pulled them up, want to prepare soil again) to stop weeds?
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like brambles. I cleared mine with glyphosate (sp). Sold as TDK in big and small DIY and garden centres. If brambles start creeping in from adjacent gardens use it with a paintbrush rather than a spray. It can be diluted to deal with annual and perennial weeds and hardwood stuff like brambles.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • BeerBelly
    Options
    Also found this:

The roots can regenerate if the main clump is removed, continual pulling or close mowing will kill them eventually.
    Use a stronger concentration of a systemic herbicide, eg. Gylphosate, or a selective herbicide for use as a brush killer, eg. SBK Brushkiller.

Thanks All
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport