Nightfreight stole my stuff.

Options
I've just moved from Cardiff to north London and used Nightfreight via Parcelmonkey to ship my bicycle and bike gear to me. It was picked up by Nightfreight on Friday the 1st and delivered this morning (a day late). Opening the box revealed the disassembled bike... but nothing else. The parcel contained about £400 worth of bike clothing, tools and accesories.. all missing. After inspecting the box it became clear that the bottom of the box had been opened and retaped whilst in Nightfreight's hands. I called Nightfreight and was forwarded to the dept that deals with the Parcelmonkey account.

Anyway, I spoke to all the Nighfreight depots that I was told the parcel passed through and got nowhere. However, I was told by the manager at the delivery depot that the delivery driver had taped the bottom of the box himself as it was open when he loaded it. (The box was a purpose built, stapled bike box and would not have just opened without someone prising the staples out).

So, somewhere between Cardiff and the Nightfreight depot in Hoddesden someone has opened the bike box and helped themselves to my stuff.

I have been told by Nightfreight that I must deal with Parcelmonkey to resolve this issue. However, as it is clear that the box has been tampered with whilst in the hands of their company and delivered minus several items of my property I consider it theft of my property by Nightfreight.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Any advice on what course of action I should take?

Thank you

The bike frame arrived damaged as well....:mad:

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you contracted parcelmonkey to deliver the goods from A to B, then it is them you need to deal with. Any third party agreement is irrelevant.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • crh123
    crh123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    If you contracted parcelmonkey to deliver the goods from A to B, then it is them you need to deal with. Any third party agreement is irrelevant.

Despit it being theft of personal property?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crh123 wrote: »

Your contract is with parcelmonkey. They have a separate contract with nightfreight. In other words, you claim from parcelmonkey and its up to parcelmonkey to claim from nightfreight.

Its not theft. Its breach of contract/care.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • crh123
    crh123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Your contract is with parcelmonkey. They have a separate contract with nightfreight. In other words, you claim from parcelmonkey and its up to parcelmonkey to claim from nightfreight.

Its not theft. Its breach of contract/care.

I see. Thanks.
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP : I would change your thread title as its potentially libellous
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Report it to the police; get a crime number and claim from your insurance.

Thieft is Thieft and needs to be reported as your loss may not be the only one
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if you spoke to parcel monkey about whats happened they might well get onto NF and your stuff may well magically reappear.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    crh123 wrote: »
    Then as above, report the matter to the Police if you're so sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure