Scottish Power/ utility comp hardship fund?

Options
I have been treated for cancer since last October and haven't been able to work, my husband is self employed and earns very little. Basically because I've been at home our gas usage has shot up and when I read the meter yesterday we owe Scottish Power £250 even though I paid a DD for £111 the day before. I phoned SP and asked them not to put the DD up, but we've still got this debt hanging over us. Does anyone know if there's a hardship fund we can apply to? Thanks
Life's little instructions- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated..Watch a sunrise at least once a year..Strive for excellence not perfection:j
£2 SC no.70 £140/£350
SPC no.73 SPC9 £248 SPC10 target £250
DFBX12 No. 069 £7719 / £7719 DEBT FREE 30/11/12
2013 mfw No.4 MORTGAGE FREE 5/8/13

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    I am unsure if the entry for this year has closed.
    http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/support-centre/service-and-standards/warm-home-discount
    Have you applied for emplyment and support allowance?
    If you have not, and you have contributions in 2010/11 11/12 - you may be paid regardless of your husbands salary. (assuming you're not receiving statutory sick pay)
    If you are undergoing, or recovering from chemotherapy for cancer - you should be able to be 'fast tracked' into the support group of ESA.
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/overview
  • lemonpopsicle
    Options
    Thanks rogerblack I have filled in the online form with Scottish Power and it's gone through, so now I just need to wait and see. I'll look into your other suggestions too. xx
    Life's little instructions- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated..Watch a sunrise at least once a year..Strive for excellence not perfection:j
    £2 SC no.70 £140/£350
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 February 2013 at 2:33AM
    Options
    Hi,

Check out the British Gas Energy Trust. They are an independent charitable trust.
    Applications to the British Gas Energy Trust are welcomed from individuals and families in need, suffering or other distress.

Applications are welcomed from customers of all energy companies – applications are not restricted to customers of British/Scottish Gas however you must be living within England, Scotland or Wales to be eligible to apply.

The Trust prioritises help to applicants who are clearly struggling to pay their domestic gas and electricity bills.

Only the account holder can apply for a grant to clear a utility debt – gas, electricity, water or sewerage. If the account holder is unable to complete the application form, an explanation must be given why someone else is doing so on their behalf.

Do take a look at their criteria and make an application if you think you may be eligible.

They also do grants for a number of other things such as council tax debt, telephone debt and boiler repairs too. So make sure you have a good read. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • lemonpopsicle
    Options
    Thanks for the info Willing2learn, I've applied to them this morning, fingers crossed. xx
    £2 SC no.70 £140/£350
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business