🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Provider say they were regulated by General Insurance Standards Council

Options
I sent Royal Bank of Scotland my claim form for a credit card that I took out through Sainsbury's Finance in Jan 2003.
They've refused my complaint.
They state that prior to 2005, they were members of the General Insurance Standards Council (GISC) which expected its members to act fairly & reasonably towards customers.
I've also been told that the PPI was explained in the terms & conditions on my account.

I paid the account off & closed it in Nov 2006. I have not paperwork now to prove anything.

However, I had a load as well, with the same providers and put in a claim for that & they've upheld that and paid me - that was taken out prior to 2005 as well!

After I had submitted my claim form, they telephoned me & asked me loads of questions - well really the same sort of questions, just worded differently. I kept telling them that everything I remembered & everything I wanted taking into consideration was on my complaint form, but they kept pressing me for other answers.
I now feel I was bullied this time too.

Should I now take this to the Ombudsman & also complaint about this recent telephone call as well?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just take it to the Ombudsman.

They're allowed to ask questions to see if you had need of the product.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They state that prior to 2005, they were members of the General Insurance Standards Council (GISC) which expected its members to act fairly & reasonably towards customers.

Was that a response to a complaint reason or just a generic statement?
    However, I had a load as well, with the same providers and put in a claim for that & they've upheld that and paid me - that was taken out prior to 2005 as well!

Loan PPi has different issues to credit card and is also handled independently of a credit card complaint. You may have got an auto payout on the other one. It may be that single premium was the issue and they refunded.
    Should I now take this to the Ombudsman & also complaint about this recent telephone call as well?

You havent actually said what your complaint was about and what their answers were to your complaint. So, we cant comment on that side. However, if you disagree with them then you go to the FOS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport