Chanie fabulously looks after her pennies...

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had a lovely family day, spent in the park and garden. We planted some veg in pots - lettuce leaves, tomatoes, spring onions and potatoes. Since having children, I haven't had the time to spend in the garden, but as they are getting older, I hope I can get back into it.
  • chanie
    Options
    I 'wombled' my first Tesco receipts this morning.

I came across wombling through browsing this site and basically, you collect discarded receipts and claim the points if they haven't been used. I have collected the grand sum of 9 points. I'm not sure how far I can be bothered to do this, but I'll see how I get on for now.
  • chanie
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm still at the top of my overdraft this month - I really wanted to reduce it, but I had two weddings plus a birthday to pay for. Hopefully, April will be a bit easier, although we have DS birthday this month. I've been saving up for it, so the cost has been spread.

We have had a really nice family day out. Through work, I'm a member of English Heritage and we visited 3 sites today. Other than petrol, we spent about £10 on drinks, so it was a cheap day out - it would have cost £90 to visit the sites individually. This is definitely something we want to do more of.
  • chanie
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I did a weekly shop in Lidl yesterday, using a £5 off a £40 spend voucher, which is a nice saving - the voucher was in the Metro newspaper and I nearly missed it. Lidl was really busy, which is annoying. When I first started shopping in Lidl about 7 years ago, the stores were lovely and quiet and now they are so busy with not enough car parking spaces and long queues. I feel like my 'secret' is out there.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This post made me laugh. I feel the same way about aldi. It was much nicer when folks were embarrassed to shop there. I prefer to shop in a quiet place.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • chanie
    Options
    parsniphead I'm pleased that someone else feels the same. I think people are embarrassed that they DON'T shop in lidl/aldi.
  • chanie
    Options
    I've had a pretty frugal week (well, it was a short week due to the bank holidays) and haven't spent much, so that's really positive.

I decided to have more frugal Fridays, which means no/minimal spends. I work compressed hours with Fridays off and use this day to do whatever chores I need to do with DD whilst DS is at school. I am going to reduce my running around to every other week where possible to reduce my spending.

Today, I loaded up the car and went to the Tip, with the stuff we cleared out from the shed. I also cleared out DS wardrobe of all his old clothes and got out his nice new wardrobe. The old clothes will go to the charity shop. Whilst I probably could ebay them, I've never gotten around to it. There are aspects of being MSE that I really enjoy, but 'selling' just isn't one of them, so I think going forward, I'll take my unwanted items to the charity shop and let them make money.

I popped into A1di today and found some school shorts for £3, so I picked up two pairs. Whilst it was an unbudgeted spend, I did need to get him some shorts for school and they should last for two summer's, so I thought it was a good spend.

Me and OH are planning a trip to the cinema tonight to see the new batman/superman film. I'm not that bothered, but Mr C wants to see it, so we thought it would be nice to go out, as we don't get much time to ourselves. Luckily, I can get cheap cinema tickets, so it hasn't cost much.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Hi Chanie, sounds as though you have had a busy and productive day.
    Enjoy your evening out, I havn't been to the cinema in ages, I've seen the film your going to see advertise and it looks quite good.

Have fun.x.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    Options
    We had a family trip to the coast today. As it was unplanned, O
    We didn't have time to make up a packed lunch, so OH said we should buy something when we were there, as a treat. The food was horrible and overpriced and we didn't enjoy it. It did confirm to us that our packed lunches are much nicer.

Today, I booked the hall for DS, birthday party in a couple of weeks. We couldn't get the date we wanted, so we pushed it back by a week. The party is going to be frugal - the hall and bouncy castle are pretty cheap, plus I kept the decorations from last year. I've also been stockpiling food (some leftovers from Xmas).
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Hi chanie, sorry to here the meal you had was pants, nothing worse than paying for a terrible meal.

Party for ds sounds fun and frugal, its a few years since I did the hall/bouncy castle party but when I did, I made the kids chips and hot dogs or pizza, it was much easier than messing round with buffet party food, just took the kids order as they came through the door, for pud I bought multi packs of fab and twister lollies, piece of cake went home with them, dead easy, but the venue I used had cooking facilities and a fridge freezer, so not sure if it is an option for you. Just an idea though.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure