🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Which superglue

Options
Normally when i buy superglue i go for a locktite or other good makes. But after been opend a while it gets thicker and harder to get out. I was wondering if the tubes i see in poundland and such like are just as good because i could use them then throw them out as they come in bigger packs.
But i wonder if the glue is as good. Anyone use them or rate them. Thanks

Comments

• Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I have never found anything that superglue actually sticks, apart from fingers. I have also found that glue out of a tube tends to be dried and useless after a couple of uses.

I tend to buy an apoxy glue. Something like Araldite, Its a two part glue that you mix together and that starts it drying. The proper stuff starts to set quickly and is good if you don't have a lot to fix. I bought some cheaper generic stuff the other day which worked just as well but it took a lot longer to start setting so I had to stand there and hold the bit for about 10 mins before it would stay put on its own.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • yorksguy11
    Options
    Thanks
    I know what you mean about sticky fingers. But its good at sticking small things like bkoken plastic and crockery without having to start mixing.
  • almeria1
    almeria1 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a packet of the Poundland superglue on saturday for a small job (securing some trunking to skirting board) and it worked fine.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've used the cheap multi-packs before, and had no problem with the glue. If the open tube has dried out, throw it away and use the next one.

I've found that superglue works well for things that fit tightly together, with no gaps, and Araldite is ideal for things where there are gaps to fill.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • myhooose
    Options
    I'm a fan of the thicker gel superglue. It can used where there is more of a gap between the two parts.
  • doverswot
    Options
    I bought a small bottle of Hafix's glue at the Ideal Home exhibition last year and would definitely recommend it. The consistency is like superglue, however it actually works well on a wide range of materials, sticks in less than a minute.

Keep it in the fridge and it will last for a couple of years.

http://www.hafixs.co.uk/products/profglue/index.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family