Vegan secret santa pressie?

Options
Hey all,

I've picked out a lovely friendly vegan lady for secret santa this year, and want to buy a pressie that is suitable for her lifestyle. The budget is £5 but happy to spend a little more if you guys can come up with any good ideas/places to look!

I didn't want to get her (vegan) chocolate as she doesn't seem to eat much anyway, and there's not a lush near me, so that's out too.

Any vegans out there, what would you like to receive?

Thanks all!

Comments

• adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    My GF is Vegan,
    Co-Operative do a few decent vegan wines (own brand check the back label it will say if it is vegan some are vegetarian only and some are neither), Superdrug own brand toiletries (unless they say they have honey or something of animal origin in them (lanolin or beeswax occasionally so you may have to take a magnifying glass to the tiny writing on the ingredients) are vegan) So are Barry M cosmetics,
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My daughter's teacher is vegan, and I am trawling the internet for nice recipes with colour pictures to print out, laminate, and put in an A5 ring binder for her Christmas present. It won't cost much, but I'm sure she'll appreciate the effort my daughter (hmm!) has gone to :)
  • CarolynRach
    Options
    I love CJ's idea of printint out recipes and putting them in a file. Plus, on another thread there is a £5 recipe file which might do the trick as the front cover is cakes (which could be vegan) -
  • savingmonkey
    Options
    The above files are fab, I have bought them as gifts before, good for £5
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    With you mentioning she is a Vegan I take it you want to give her some food or drink gift,I bought my vegan nephew a selection of beers last year so maybe finding some wines would be a good idea both Booths and the Co-Op have a variety. Could you make her a cake or biscuits from a vegan recipe?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • quinechinoise
    Options
    Whether you're vegan or not, this is absolutely the best cookbook in the world! ;) Mind you, a cookie-only diet wouldn't be the healthiest option...

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cookies-Invade-Your-Cookie/dp/160094048X/

It's a bit over your budget though. I expect the companion cupcake cookbook is just as good, although I haven't read it myself, as it's the same authors.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-World/dp/1569242739/

Again, a bit over your budget but you said you'd be willing to spend a bit extra.
  • liz-paul
    Options
    I think Lush cosmetics are all vegan.
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • lucky_charm_2
    Options
    Vegan cupcakes take over the world is amazing!

I like the homemade recipe book idea.

Other foodie things- there is a dairy free shortbread by Duncan's that is often available in Tesco and Asda (purple packet), Elizabeth Shaw dark chocolate mint crisps are vegan too.
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2012 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Whether you're vegan or not, this is absolutely the best cookbook in the world! ;) Mind you, a cookie-only diet wouldn't be the healthiest option...

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cookies-Invade-Your-Cookie/dp/160094048X/

It's a bit over your budget though. I expect the companion cupcake cookbook is just as good, although I haven't read it myself, as it's the same authors.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-World/dp/1569242739/

Again, a bit over your budget but you said you'd be willing to spend a bit extra.

The cupcake book is BETTER than the cookie book! :D

But personally I wouldn't advise giving recipes to a vegan, whether in a book or off the Internet. I would imagine that they probably have their own recipes sorted out...it is a thoughtful idea, but, I am dairy free for example and if someone got me a dairy free cookbook you can be 99% sure I already have it...same with recipes off the Internet. Usually if you have to follow a special diet you do a lot of research yourself anyway...
  • Labsettings
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! Definitely have loads to go on with now! Wasn't thinking definitely food but just wanted to be sure as cosmetics, bath stuff etc sometimes have animal products... for a while I was looking at a leather purse (before i pointed out my own stupidity!).

Really appreciate it! I'll let you know what I buy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure