PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting in retirement

Options
Hi
First time on forum, so here goes..

We have been renting for about 3 years now after loosing our business and our debts are in a Debt plan with Payplan. They should be paid off in about 6 years !! but we know there will be no time to buy another house, so looking to continue renting into retirement in approx 8 yrs.We will have a very small pension and 2 state pensions, there is no way can we afford the current rent, but love the bungalow which would be ideal. Does anyone know what happens when you retire from work and no longer afford that rent ? i.e kicked out onto the streets ? any financial help from the state ?

Regards

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 October 2012 at 11:35AM
    Options
    You may be entitled to help with your rent through Local Housing Allowance

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018928

If you are just a couple living together, you will only be entitled to the one-bedroom rate of help for your rent. You can have a bigger place, but if there is any shortfall in the rent you will have to make it up yourself.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • kanute50
    kanute50 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I very much doubt if you would qualify for Housing Benefit in the future if you both have a full state pension and a modest private pension. We are renting in retirement, and our pension income is by no means large. I only qualify for a 2 thirds state pension, my other half has full state pension and a very modest private pension, we do not qualify for any help at all. Sorry, I think you are going to have to move to another property when you retire.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    darjeeling wrote: »
    Hi
    First time on forum, so here goes..

We have been renting for about 3 years now after loosing our business and our debts are in a Debt plan with Payplan. They should be paid off in about 6 years !! but we know there will be no time to buy another house, so looking to continue renting into retirement in approx 8 yrs.We will have a very small pension and 2 state pensions, there is no way can we afford the current rent, but love the bungalow which would be ideal. Does anyone know what happens when you retire from work and no longer afford that rent ? i.e kicked out onto the streets ? any financial help from the state ?

Regards

I would urge you to check your eligibility for Pension Credit.

Even if you are only awarded £1 a week this would entitle you to full housing benefit (at the local allowance rate for a one bed place) and full council tax benefit.

If you are not entitiled to Pension Credit then you would probably be eligible for help with Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit.

As someone has already said who knows what will happen to benefits in the next years.

Try to be sensible with your budgetting at the moment (Suspect I'm speaking to the converted if you're on a DMP!) to save some for the future (£10000 savings allowed at the moment for over 60s re: applying for benefits ).

Could you take in a lodger? Foreign students? Need to think 'outside the box' and do all you can to make life more comfortable in your retirement years.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you on the council housing list now? You might be low priority but you will move up as you age.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills