Bath frame / support

Options
Hi everyone

Does anyone know where I can buy the metal bath support frame with the adjustable feet? We got given a brand new bath but unfortunately it didn't come with all the supports to install it. I've tried B&Q and Wickes but they only seem to sell them along with a new bath.

Any ideas welcome...!

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's unusual for the bath not to come with a cradle. You would be best going back to the supplier.

Is it a steel bath or acrylic?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • boxer16
    boxer16 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    As I said, we were given it... so I can't really complain for free.

It's acrylic.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    See if there is a makers mark on it and go back to the manufacturer.

These are not a standard design and vary from bath to bath.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need 1
    Simply make a frame from 63mm studding.
    I don't know what the pros do but whenever I fit a bath the 1st thing id a 3 x 2 screwed to the wall to support the long side of the bath, then 1 at the end or ends if it fits wall to wall, and then 1 across the front. This should be done whenever a bath is fitted otherwise the seal between bath and wall will never hold due to too much flexing.

Run the same stuff vertically below screwing it down to the floor and add uprights to support the front edge.
    Chock under the bath with timber at 3 or for places along the flat bottom.

Ensure part of the structure id screwed to the wooden support edge that it already laminated to the bath.

A little though is needed regarding waste and tap pipes to ensure they can exit

Then fit the plastic or tiled panels to the frame.;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • boxer16
    boxer16 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Cyclonebri1 - thanks so much for your post. It'd be really helpful of we can do it that way.
    Does the wooden frame support the movement of the bath as much as the metal frames do?
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    boxer16 wrote: »
    Cyclonebri1 - thanks so much for your post. It'd be really helpful of we can do it that way.
    Does the wooden frame support the movement of the bath as much as the metal frames do?

A properly constructed timber frame will give you MORE support than a couple of bent steel pipe legs/cradles.

As cyclone says a bit of thought re the plumbing is needed and 'chocking' the bottom of the bath is something that we do to give extra support when necessary.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    Yes exactly, it will give more support the metal legs are the bare minimum and I always chock the bath anyway, plus you would have to provide a frame for the panels anyway, this way is solid.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Even with the aluminium legs on the bath should still be supported along one long and one short edge on timber screwed to the wall. You won't go far wrong with CBs suggestion but IMO 3 x 2 is a tad OTT though. :D

Bath should also be physically attached to the wall with suitable bracketry Plastic baths flex far too much.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Even with the aluminium legs on the bath should still be supported along one long and one short edge on timber screwed to the wall. You won't go far wrong with CBs suggestion but IMO 3 x 2 is a tad OTT though. :D

Bath should also be physically attached to the wall with suitable bracketry Plastic baths flex far too much.

Cheers

I always go OTT, my failure rate is just less than Zero, ;););)

My safety factor is safe :cool:

Not when I've fitted them,:D

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    It ws only an opinion.

One also has to note that if Concorde had been over-engineered it would never have flown.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure