Suit rant!!!! Debenhams/Youngs hire

Options
Just thought I'd post my rant on here because I need to get it out of my system.

Some months (14th May) ago I visited Debenhams/Youngs hire to hire suits for my wedding on the 11th of August. We chose these as out of the 6 of us, 3 lived up here in north wales, 2 in essex and 1 in Nottingham. So we thought they would be ideal.
We were told the suits would be in approx 10days before the wedding (we get married on Sat, suits should all have been in a week the thursday before). I was told I would receive a phonecall on the Thurs to let me know they were in and I could have any changes sorted "there will be plenty of time"

I received a phonecall at the end of June telling me the 2 suits from Essex were slightly delayed, due to them being late being measured (they had been advised down there that there was plenty of time)

Having not heard anything I decided I'd best phone the branch on sat, when I did I was told that the suits for the 3 in north wales were in. The 2 from Essex being delivered to N Wales had not been delivered. I contacted the usher from Nottingham who advised me he had received a phonecall and had visited the store and was now returning home with his suit as it fitted well and all was there
Great I thought as 2 of us were off to store tomorrow.
On arrival we were told there were no waistcoats with the suits!!
We tried the suits on and 1 was ok (bar the waistcoat issue) and 1 needed the shirt changing (not to bad I thought).

I contacted the store once more on Tues to chase up the other two suits they chased them up and told me they were loading the van now and they would both be at the store in the morning (due between 9 and 10), My waistcoat had also arrived but shirt had not. The gentleman I spoke to advised me he was off the next day but would ask his colleague to check first thing and contact me to arrange a fitting.

By midday today I had heard nothing so phoned the store to be told he hadn't looked and would pop down now. He phoned me back to advise me only 1 of the outstanding suits were in (the other must have fallen off the van)
I visited at 1pm today with my best man (last one from N Wales) his suit fitted well and he was happy, Great! then I tried my waistcoat on it was too small, "no problem" said the salesman we'll get you the next size up. He then returned to me to advise me that they didn't have the next size up in stock and would I like a different one from the rest of my party. I agreed and chose 1, low and behold this one was out of stock too.
The next solution was to change all the waistcoats (which we agreed on and these are now due by courier to my house between 7.30 and 10 Friday the day before the wedding)

So at present with 2 days before my wedding we have the following
Groom - 1 suit, no shirt, no waistcoat
Father of the bride - Suit in store but not tried on yet
Father of the groom - everything but the waistcoat
Best Man - All ok
Usher 1 - All ok
Usher 2 - No suit

So with 2 days to go out of a party of 6 we have 2 members that we know the suit fits correctly!!!!!!!!

Sorry it was a long rant just had to get it out

On the plus side my Bride is now happy with her wedding dress (the 3rd one which she bought on Monday) :rotfl:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good luck - not a great ad for Debenhams is it! Maybe an email or letter to their head office will help - the CEO of Debenhams is Mr Michael Sharp michael.sharp@debenhams.com

Perhaps email him tonight, and things might magically happen before Saturday :)

useful website -wwwDOTceoemailDOTcom email addresses of head execs. Use Ctrl+F to search the page!
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    I agree email him with what you've told us hopefully he will kick a few asses and get it sorted for you by Saturday.

Steph xx
  • fawny
    fawny Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    What a mess for you, hope it all gets sorted out & you have a great day:j
    Married the man of my dreams - 10th September 2012, St Paul's Bay Lindos :jIt was amazing.
    :love:
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hate hearing about Moss/ Youngs etc messing people about with hire suits.

I used to work for a small (and I mean it was tiny - 2 of us working in the hire dept) suit company and the amount of people that would come in, often in tears because the blokes suits all went wrong from Moss / Youngs it was ridiculous - one woman ordered almost everything for her wedding from Debenhams and it was either wrong or missing!

I would make sure the CEO knows about you. Call, email, whatever constantly and get his attention - kick up a real stink! They are a massive company that can get suits and stuff with a click of a mouse or a phone call - the company I worked for could (and we had the same stock as the big companies too)

Is there any local places you can go? You'll find that they hold a lot of stock at the shop so no need to send away etc.

xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • findingmyownway
    Options
    Ooh we have just hit the "10 days before" point so will make sure OH checks to suit situation out ASAP!
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    We used Youngs at Bluewater in 2010 and had similar problems. We ended up with more than we ordered, fortunately, and we only paid half of the bill for all the stress they caused us.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • welshbigman_2
    Options
    Well sent an e-mail last night to the CEO, he phoned me this morning at 10am with sincere apologies and all that, he advised me he would speak to the person in charge of suits (Mark Cotter, MD of baird group, parent company of youngs) and he would call me within half hour. Low and behold I'm still waiting. Obviously they don't respect their customers the same as Debenhams
    Debenhams MD has promised me that whatever happens I will not be paying for the suits, I did explain to him that I couldn't care about paying all I wanted was my suits.
    I received an e-mail from Steven Underwood (customer services co-ordinator) advising me the outstanding suit was in transit for delivery today (this was at 12.48) then at 13.41 I received another telling me it had been sent to the wrong place and would be in the store before noon tomorrow.

My replacement waistcoats are supposedly being delivered before 9am tomorrow to my home address, but there are still 2 members of the party that we do not know if these will fit.

On the plus side the father of the bride has his suit and it fits
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well sent an e-mail last night to the CEO, he phoned me this morning at 10am with sincere apologies and all that, he advised me he would speak to the person in charge of suits (Mark Cotter, MD of baird group, parent company of youngs) and he would call me within half hour. Low and behold I'm still waiting. Obviously they don't respect their customers the same as Debenhams
    Debenhams MD has promised me that whatever happens I will not be paying for the suits, I did explain to him that I couldn't care about paying all I wanted was my suits.
    I received an e-mail from Steven Underwood (customer services co-ordinator) advising me the outstanding suit was in transit for delivery today (this was at 12.48) then at 13.41 I received another telling me it had been sent to the wrong place and would be in the store before noon tomorrow.

My replacement waistcoats are supposedly being delivered before 9am tomorrow to my home address, but there are still 2 members of the party that we do not know if these will fit.

On the plus side the father of the bride has his suit and it fits

Re-email him? & tell him how badly they have responded even when the CEO tells them to get it sorted!

You will still be a handsome groom on the day - good luck Mr WBM!
  • dingdongavoncalling
    Options
    Fingers crossed that your waistcoats have arrived this morning! Have a great day!
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    Fingers crossed you have got everything by now. I for one will be making sure that we don't go to Debenhams for suits.

Steph xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport