PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any "No-Cook" recipes for Guides/Brownies?

Options
Hi there all you great Old Stylers!
I used to run a Guide Company, and now the young Guider who took over from me, has come back with a problem.
The Church hall where they meet has no kitchen. When I ran Guides, everytime we wanted to cook they came to my house, but as she lives with mum, this isn't convenient! Soooo has anyone got any recipes that she can use with the Guides (ages 10 - 15) that involves no cooking of any sort?! Even melting chocolate is difficult, so apart from using a kettle, there is nothing else!

I ssaid I would post on the forums, as you are all such resourceful people!:rotfl: Thanks!
I Believe in saving money!!!:T
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

Comments

• Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    How about gaspacho (sp?) you would need a blender for that though
    coronation chicken with a mixed green salad
    fresh fruit salad and cream
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Fishcake_Random
    Options
    sounds like a job for biscuit decs to me.
    make up a load of icing, put out loads of bits and pieces like coconut, sprinkles, cinnamon, marshmallows etc and buy a few packs of cheap digestives.
    have a prize for who can make the funniest face or the cutest animal etc.
    hope that helps.

kind regards
    fishcake.
    Happily married mama of 5
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sweeties - coconut ice, permint creams....... I did these succesfully with Cubs by weighing ingredients out and bagging them up before hand. IIRC they were very similar and it just involved adding some condensed milk and squidging it about in the bag (make sure the bags are fairly strong)

Failing that, can they get a microwave into the hall for melting chocolate? Do they have access to gas burners (normal camping stuff.....)
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Filled wraps or bagels. prawn c0cktail or other salad type things, banana split or knickerbocker glory type deserts. Rashka I remember making peppermint creams when I was in Guides.

Pink
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Guides used to love making s'mores. You need digestive biscuits, marshmallows and chocolate buttons, along with some toothpicks and a tealight candle for each Guide. The idea is to toast the marshmallow over the tealight (which is a fantastic lesson in patience, if nothing else ;)) and then make it into a sandwich with the biscuits and chocolate buttons. They end up disgustingly gooey, but the girls loved them.

Beyond that, you could do things like peppermint/lemon/vanilla creams, coconut ice, no cook chutney, christmas mincemeat (in a few months lol). There are lots of 'no-cook' recipes online, expecially on cookery sites for children.

One thing to check up on though - if there are no cooking facilites at all then I would imagine that any kind of 'cooking' could become a bit of a health and safety issue (no proper handwashing/cleaning facilities etc). Might be something to bear in mind if you've got any particularly litigious parents ...
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    This is a recipe for no-cook fudge!!!

6oz softened butter,
    1 small can sweetened condensed milk (approx 6oz),
    1 3/4 lb sieved icing sugar.

Mix the butter and condensed milk. Gradually add the sieved icing sugar.
    When mixed, turn out and knead until it is smooth and easy to handle.
    Roll out the fudge with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/2 inch and cut into squares.
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that fudge sounds yummy, making me crave sugar!!!

decorating biscuits are always good, she could also decorate ready made buns. how about taking a microwave to melt chocolate?

i googled no cooking recipes and there seems to be quite a lot!
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did a "ready steady camp cook" challenge with my scout group (10 - 14 yr olds) in a school hall with no cooking facilities... we used our camp stoves, gas bottle etc, and made them cook as if they were out in a field camping! Where obviously there are no kitchen facilities. :)

Split them into two groups, one sweets, one savoury.... Gave them each a bag with a few ingredients.. and a jerrycan of water and let them get on with cooking a "camp" meal. Helped them learn how to set up the camp kitchen aswell. ;)

They ended up coming up with a chicken, rice, sweetcorn and pea combo... with pancakes smothered in chocolate spread and strawberries for afters!

Was great fun and it turned out really well! (so well in fact me and my OH took the leftovers home and had it for our tea! :o lol )
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We recently did a Healthy Eating night with the Beavers and did sandwiches with a selection of fillings and fresh fruit kebabs. If you know you have no nut allergies, marzipan fruits are fun.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can remember cooking pancakes at guides using goldensyrup tins and tea lights! tea light on a saucer punch some holes in empty golden syrup can (near where the candle will be) then pop this over the tea light, grease the lid and pop on the top, light the tea light and pour a very little pancake batter in and cook (really does work but makes tiny pancakes)

Easter bonnets - 1 rich tea biscuit, 1 marshmallow, batch of icing and sugar decorations, stick marshmallow to biscuit using some icing then pour over the top more icing to cover (butter icing also works well) then decorate.

Babies in bed - 1 rich tea finger biscuit each, 1 jelly baby, fondant icing, Jam. Give each child some fondant icing roll out enough to cover biscuit, stick on with tiny bit of jam. Make a pillow from fondant and pop jelly baby on this. Make a top blanket from rest of fondant.

hth

Catz x
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport