NMC Proposed Fee increase

Options
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34101

The Nursing and Midwifery council propose to increase Nurses annual registration fee from £76 to £120. This isn't a trade union or voluntary work contribution... Nurses MUST pay it in order to work! Most people don't get any help from their employers to cover the cost of this (I don't anyway!) Anyways at a time when ALL nurses are subject to a pay freeze, and we all have very little job security with the NHS reforms and budget cuts I believe a 58% increase in annual fees is unfair and unaffordable.

Please please please sign our epetition x

Comments

• princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    Options
    You can deduct from your tax liability don't forget
  • browneyedbazzi
    browneyedbazzi Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That does seem like a massive increase!

What (if anything) have they said by way of explanation for the fee increase? (ie did they used to get central government funding that has been cut or will they be offering additional benefits to members?)
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That does seem like a massive increase!

What (if anything) have they said by way of explanation for the fee increase? (ie did they used to get central government funding that has been cut or will they be offering additional benefits to members?)

I suspect part of their justification is that its still cheaper than other professions registration fees (eg its £160 for engineering registration)
  • sexyvicchic
    sexyvicchic Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    They are saying that the amount of "Fitness to Practice" Cases (disciplinary investigations) Has increased and this rise is needed to cover it! When you count all the practising nurses in the uk paying that fee it comes to over £81 MILLION!
  • NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    Already signed it!!!

It's a blimin' liberty! I have only been qualified 2 years, I am currently out of work for the first time in my life after a horrendous 1st job as a Registered Nurse, and I had a shock I can tell you, coming from the private to public sector.

I couldn't believe how much us Nurses are expected to pay out before we even see our wages...NMC retention fee, insurance, union fees. And now they want to put these fees up, at a time when our pay is frozen, our jobs aren't secure, our pensions are going up but we get less back, our increments are frozen (aka never to be seen again). I could go on. It was a shock to my system anyway.

Once upon a time, they used these exact things to get nurses to join the profession, to give some sort of incentive as the money isn't exactly an incentive to join this career. I feel like that was just to reel people in, get them to do their 3/4 years training, get into all the student debt, and then take it all away when they know we all feel that we can't just throw our training down the pan.

I'm currently in a predicament whether to seek another nusring post, or turn my back on it all together. It's a real shame, as I LOVE nursing and caring for people. But unfortunately, of all the bosses I have ever had, the Government is certainly the worse employer of all!

I fear what will happen to the NHS (and Nurses) if this continues.

I wish they would just allow us to do our jobs well, like most Nurses do!
  • NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    P.S. Please sign the petition people.

I'm sure I am not the only person who would like to know there will still be nurses to look after me and my family when needed
  • Le73Uq86Uv
    Le73Uq86Uv Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2012 at 10:38PM
    Options
    Bump:

Please sign the petition even if not a Nurse.

Nurses Registration Fees - epetition
    Signature removed club member No1.

It had no link, It was not to long and I have no idea why.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options

I couldn't believe how much us Nurses are expected to pay out before we even see our wages...NMC retention fee, insurance, union fees. And now they want to put these fees up, at a time when our pay is frozen, our jobs aren't secure, our pensions are going up but we get less back, our increments are frozen (aka never to be seen again). I could go on. It was a shock to my system anyway.
    Well, the Union fees are there to give you the muscle to get the employer to stump up for your professional fees. Of course, donn't pay for the union if you are not going to rock the boat.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Breezay
    Breezay Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    I've signed the petition, although I'm not a nurse. It seems like a bit of a crazy price hike!
  • debsue
    debsue Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    The rise is ridiculous after we have seen our pay frozen for years, increases in tax and NI, my salary is less now than two years ago.
    The NMC has put this out for consultation and you would be better doing this than the petition, it is open to all.
    http://www.nmc-uk.org/Press-and-media/Latest-news/NMC-to-consult-on-fee-rise-proposal/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure