Saving for University

Options
Hello, First post on here so I hope I am in the correct place.

It is a long time off yet (10 years) but I am thinking about how best to save for when/ if my children decide to go to uni. I have 2 boys (7 & 5).

I was wandering whether to just save into child trust fund about £250 each per month or whether there were accounts other people would recommend.

It is quite a worry for me. Me and husband are both self employed. I just work part time as a personal trainer so don't earn a huge amount. The last thing I want is to be in position in 10 years where I don't have the cash to put kids through uni if that is what they would like to do. If they don't want to go at least it would be a nice saving plan to help them.

I did a search on the forums but have not found any similar discussions - apologies if I was not searching hard enough :o

Thanks, Liz

Comments

• guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2012 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Think about whether it will be worth it - seriously.
    Make sure they're geared toward something that will EARN.
    Move to Scotland to become resident and get tuition for free.

EDIT - if you want to stay in England then I would suggest sending the kids to a University in Europe. Plenty of good ones that are cheaper then English Universities, plus they can learn a new language while away.
  • downsizer3
    downsizer3 Posts: 683 Forumite
    Options
    Well done for thinking ahead.
    I have simply saved into the highest interest achieving account that I can and keep an eye on the rates. You can move it about or spread it as you wish.
    I did take out one of those Child trust fund things when they came out ( my daughter is also 5) but its rate isn't very good so savings are elsewhere.
    When you've amassed a decent amount - think again - a larger amount may offer other opportunities but until you've worked up a few £1000s I'd just stick with a 'high' interest acount - probably one of those 30 day access or longer - they seem best rates.
    By the time our kids get to that age uni won't be free in Scotland I'd guess - let alone anywhere else - even then - a pot that allows them a deposit on a flat or whatever is a great idea so I'd ignore the last poster! ;)
    May 2018 - £159k + £3.5K CC - let the countdown begin! :)
    March 2019 - CC gone and bye bye M2 on 31st! £140k to go.:j
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    personal I would invest the money is unit trusts or OEICs which have a decent chance of growing over the 11- 13 years to go
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought of this over a decade ago, as I have 3 boys. One is in his final year and I have twins starting in Sept/oct.

I saved into investment trust savings plans. I saved monthly, for over a decade. It is a good way to save, and is low cost but give you equity exposure. They saved bday and xmas money, and had cash funds over 2K to see them thru entertainment and other such expenses. We also saved in cash and equities elsewhere for Uni and our retirement.

In your case, some of the CTFs are inv trust based (think F&C has one). Or like me you could just use the Inv trust in house savings plan.

Don't neglect to pay NI contribs for both of you as you are SE, and don't forget to see to your own pension needs alongside. This may mean cutting your monthly contribs for each child but you do need to look after your needs as well.
  • cashbackproblems
    cashbackproblems Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Options
    Due to the time scale i would also recommend safe funds like Invesco Perpetual via HL which you can invest monthly in an ISA account for them, alternatively if you dont want any risk just search for the best savings account then once you have accumulated a lump sum after 5/6 years u can fix it in a 4/5 year bond e.g. with icici/nationwide.

Also do you really need to save £250 each, as they can get interest free tuition fee loans which they pay back once earning and even £150 each per month over 10 yrs (plus compound interest earned) sounds plenty
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be careful of the tax aspect if giving to your children outside the CTF-
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/managingmoney/planningyourpersonalfinances/dg_10013916
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tdsi/children.htm
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/savings-income.htm
    Remember that you can move the CTF to another provider http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ChildBenefitandChildTrustFund/ChildTrustFund/WhentheChildTrustFundisupandrunning/DG_193644

You could consider saving within your own ISA allowance and considering the money as earmarked for University.

After the age of 18 you can give as you wish but might need to have regard to IHT (apart from maintenance) see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax/pass-money-property/exempt-gifts.htm
  • guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    downsizer3 wrote: »
    By the time our kids get to that age uni won't be free in Scotland I'd guess - let alone anywhere else - even then - a pot that allows them a deposit on a flat or whatever is a great idea so I'd ignore the last poster! ;)

I think my advice was decent! :) I'm not saying it's a bad thing the OP is saving - all good!
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May 2012 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Nice thought, but I don't know why you are worrying, the worst case scenario is that they will have to take advantage of the cheap loans/graduate tax system like almost every other student.

My kids won't be having uni paid for by me, even if i can afford it. It'll be a good opportunity for them to learn to make a responsible financial decision ie ensuring that their investment will be worth it in the end by studying something useful.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    Nice thought, but I don't know why you are worrying, the worst case scenario is that they will have to take advantage of the cheap loans/graduate tax system like almost every other student.

I agree. I don't see the need for parents to save and worry so much. I have £20k of student debt which I will pay off in due course but it doesn't concern me and I wouldn't like my parents to have worried and saved for years for it.
  • tight_is_right
    Options
    I'm with the last couple of posters, make them decide whether to go based on the assumption that they pay for it. If they know it's all paid for then they're not going to be making the best decision. Even if you pay fees there would be nothing stopping them taking the full loan and spending it on booze.

Part of being a student is struggling with money so if you make it too easy they're not going to get that lesson. If they decide to go then give them an allowance to help with for food/rent and they will be plenty thankful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure