We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sainsburys Staff- Anyone get reduced food items?

Options
I am happy to say that I have landed myself a job in Sainbsurys! and my friend sister also works there. She said she got 5 Organic Eggs for 25P and Organic Oranges for 25P, that is so good!.

I never waste food and always make my meals from scratch. I would dish something up from leftovers and even if sell by date is gone, providing it has not gone rotten and tastes ok I would eat it. It kind of pains me to see how much food Sainsburys throws away. I would buy the reduced food items before they go in the bin lol, I know I may sound desperate but as a Student I just want to make good use of my money. But I want to know.....

1) Who do I ask?
2) What time do they reduce food items?

Who here works in Sainburys and has had a fantastic offer?

Comments

• narabanekeater
    narabanekeater Posts: 1,892 Forumite
    Options
    you can buy RTC bargains the same as customers but you cannot 'put them away' to be purcahsed at the end of your shift. This is against the rules and I know from being X-management they can and will sack you for.
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 March 2012 at 5:38PM
    Options
    It might well depend on your manager as to what his stores rules are as regards "putting items aside" but my store wont allow it as previous poster says. The decent reductions eg 10p, 20p etc etc are done in the evening at maybe 8 or 9pm but it depends what time your store closes as to what time reductions are done eg my store closes at 10 so last reductions are done at 8 or 9.

You can go in in the evening and see what its like and try to gauge what time last reductions are done. It would be either someone on fresh foods or bakery who do the reductions for they're respective departments.

I dont buy anymore reduced foods as im not there in the evenings but i have had some good deals, some salmon for something like 20p, theres threads on the food shopping about reductions, what time they're done so have a gander over there.

Oh well done on gettig the job.
  • TeaForOne
    TeaForOne Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Not supermarket staff, but I've had some fantastic bargains in Asda about 2 hours before closing. 10p for 4 ciabatta rolls (straight into freezer), two avocados that were sell by that day (but were still not quite ripe) for 25p, and two whole mackerel for 50p are my most recent purchases. :)

So you don't need to be staff to snap up a proper moneysaving offer.

Oh, and you're not desperate - just very sensible!

Congratulations on getting the job.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    you can start by asking your friend sister
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got fresh bread 10p green pepper 3p corned beef 7p at 4:30pm today from Mr T's.

There are 3 near when I live and they all reduce the price's in all the shops at different times.
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • Russe11
    Russe11 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Options
    In morrisons near me you often get a member off staff putting out a load of reduced stuff just as some staff are leaving off shift, usually to the min 9p or 5p, with things over £5 down to 99p.

I have seen the trolley off stuff being push along with the staff comming out of the staff door at the other end of the super market, literally its like its stuff to order and far superior stuff to what you can often find in the reduced section.

I swoop in and take what ever I fancy, one day I saw the puzzled look on the staffs faces when it had all gone in the time it took them to walk from the other end of the shop.

Think they work it a bit different now as I not been able to time it to get the same result since.
  • Futures_2
    Options
    As a member of management within Sainsbury's I can confirm that it is against company policy to put shopping aside during the day with the intention of paying for it later unless your line manager has given you permission to do so. It is acceptable to shop before your shift, during your unpaid break and after your shift. Unfortunately items aren't reduced to special prices for staff.
    If anyone tells you information contrary to the above I'd be very sceptical about listening. It's not worth potentially losing your job over a couple of pence.
  • yvonne13_2
    Options
    Futures wrote: »
    As a member of management within Sainsbury's I can confirm that it is against company policy to put shopping aside during the day with the intention of paying for it later unless your line manager has given you permission to do so. It is acceptable to shop before your shift, during your unpaid break and after your shift. Unfortunately items aren't reduced to special prices for staff.
    If anyone tells you information contrary to the above I'd be very sceptical about listening. It's not worth potentially losing your job over a couple of pence.

What your saying and store managers doing is totally different, I have seen the same thing with my own eyes in sainsburys where very good quality stuff is given to staff at reduced prices (they must have picked them before putting them out for members of the public) from out of no-where so perhaps they have all been given permission from the store manager to put things aside.
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • Futures_2
    Options
    yvonne13 wrote: »
    What your saying and store managers doing is totally different, I have seen the same thing with my own eyes in sainsburys where very good quality stuff is given to staff at reduced prices (they must have picked them before putting them out for members of the public) from out of no-where so perhaps they have all been given permission from the store manager to put things aside.

I'm telling you for a fact that I've seen colleagues dismissed for doing exactly what you've just described. I've worked on 4 regions across two zones and the policy was the same in all of the stores I worked in.
  • yvonne13_2
    Options
    Futures wrote: »
    I'm telling you for a fact that I've seen colleagues dismissed for doing exactly what you've just described. I've worked on 4 regions across two zones and the policy was the same in all of the stores I worked in.

I don't dispute anything your saying, so if managers are sacked for giving the workers permission to reserve food ect that's upto them, I can only go of what I have seen with my own eyes when I have been at the till.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport