We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

rescue cat finding freedom!!

Options
mcja
mcja Posts: 4,077 Forumite
Hi, we have rehomed a beautiful ginger tom cat today from RSPCA. We have been told to keep him in for about a month and shut in one room for about 2 weeks. When the lady came to do the homecheck she said keep him in for about 2 weeks. Confused.com!!
He is sooo friendly, and such a kitten (got a lush little cut from not being used to kitten claws playing games!!)

Any cat rescuers who can help. We already have a 13yo female cat so I would wait to introduce them, but instincts are telling me I can just trust my own judgements.

Thanks all
“Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them all of it has always been big stuff.”

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    I would certainly keep him in for an absolute minimum of 2 weeks and ideally a month..... if he's been in rescue for a while it may be that he's not been able to roam around for ages (if ever) so you want to make sure he's totally settled/happy etc before letting him out and that he knows his name (esp if it's changed).

When you do, start with really short periods - few mins and give him a call to come back and gradually build this up. It's sooooo much easier being able to open the door, yell and have them come home (wee cat:D) than having to sometimes spend hours looking for them (big cat;)).

Re introductions, yes I'd keep them separate for a while - introduce smells from the other cat to the rooms where the other is (take a blanket your other cat sleeps on and put it in his room & vise versa). Gradually introduce them but an escape route is vital and I'd certainly not leave them unsupervised together if you're out for a while.

BUT most important of all ..... huge congratulations on your new arrival :D - wishing you many happy years together and pics needed!:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mcja
    Options
    Thankyou. That fits in with what they said. Im just used to a cat being able to roam. Feels wrong keeping him in. He is sleeping in the cat basket which smells of our other cat and seems ok with that at the moment.
    Willow (the original cat) knows some one' else is in the house.. she can smell him!! I can't post pics for some reason. Will try and work it out.
    “Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them all of it has always been big stuff.”
  • mcja
    Options
    924d1330978019-rehomed-cat-rudy.jpg

Why didn;t that work just now??!?! This is Ferno!!

He was only in the RSPCA for 2 weeks, and love him, in that time was neutured!! He was being kept in a flat with a bull mastiff
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Awwwwwww he's gorgeous!:D and love his name!:D

If they can get used to each other's smells it should help with the introductions so him sleeping in her old bed is a great start - could you put an old blanket (anything really) in the bottom for a couple of days to get his smell onto it?

You could then put this somewhere where Willow can have a good smell of it.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mcja
    edited 5 March 2012 at 10:02PM
    Options
    The cats home gave us a couple of blankets he has been using so I was going to put on out for Willow tomorrow, with a slow introduction tomorrow when the kids are in bed so they can just take their time. The name is the dragon from the Beast Quest series of books.
    He was called Rudy but as he is my sons cat (7yo) he chose Ferno when we were told it was ok to rename him.

Thankyou so much for your help and advice Rising from the ashes, I really appreciate it and just want him to have a happy new life!!
  • epsilondraconis
    Options
    Love the photo of Ferno!

When we got our kitten 9.5 years ago from a rescue centre, we took her into the back garden and had some string tied around her collar because we were worried she would run off and not come back.

Fast forward 9.5 years and she is in an out as she pleases via the cat flap. She doesn't go far as she knows that she has every luxury here and so no fear of her running off to find a new home.
  • lipsthefish
    lipsthefish Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    Aw he is stunning ! :D wishing you years of happiness with your new friend
  • mcja
    Options
    Our lady cat was a rescue but she was a law unto herself. Hated being shut in the house, but shes the same and has everything she needs here. If she ever moved out it would only be next door as they spoil her rotten when we go away!! It just feels really different with 2 cats and him being a giant kitten tomcat!!

Thankyou lipsthefish (fab name!!), he has stolen my heart I must admit!
  • walwin
    walwin Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    He's lovely.

I hope you all have many happy years together :)
  • shellbells_2
    Options
    mcja, well done you, rehoming rescue animals can often be a tricky business, but sounds like you have made a grand start, and following your own instincts, as these will be linked to the feelings you are picking up off your cats is always a good plan. There are so many pieces of advice which are all truthful for the individual, though each person, animal, relationship, environment is different. Therefor when you gain confidence and that advice comes from the quiet voice within you, opening the door, knowing what they can do, how far they can go, trusting your own judgements will be easy, you will learn with them, and they you. Enjoy the spring time ahead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport