Halifax Current Account Fraud

Options
In December 2006 I noticed there were multiple cash transactions leaving my current account. On enquiring about this, with Customer Services, I was informed that they originated in Barcelona, Spain and that they were being requested off an old, already cancelled, debit card. The transactions amounted to £51.97.

Back in July 2006 I had my wallet stolen in Barcelona. However the card was cancelled less than 2 hours after it was stolen and a replacement card issued. This was obviously an upsetting time, especially since my family and I were away on holiday at the time.

So, to have these events being reminded to us again has left me angry and extremely concerned about the management of my account. How could a debit card, which was cancelled some 5 months ago, be used to extract money from my account? Who authorised these payments?

I reported this matter to the Fraud Department and their response is the automated system still lets small amounts through even though the card is cancelled. They were mostly £1s and £2s but also £11s and £12s.

Are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes? Is this 'system' true. BTW I have been offerred £20 compensation which I think is too low!

Comments

• regularsaver1
    Options
    what compensation do you want?

you got your money back right?
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Take it, if you must. As far as I can see you have incurred a phone call and a few minutes of your life. Money for old rope and you want more! Astonishing!
  • brooka
    Options
    Yeah i got the money but just wondered if this was a common event....for some fraudster, with a cancelled card, to be then able to withdraw cash from my account some 5 months after it was cancelled. It was me who spotted this - not the bank. If this is common then £20 compensation may be OK, if not I'd be looking at more???
  • Bernard_Coleslaw
    Options
    It's not unusual. Get the refund, accept the compo, and move on. :D
    Everyone needs something to believe in.

I believe I need another beer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts