Sky won't release landline phone number

I moved to Sky 2 years ago and did the full TV/broadband/home phone package.

Having been made redundant at Christmas, I need to cut my expenses. Obviously the Sky TV has to go (Freesat is fine) and I thought I'd move to a cheaper phone/broadband supplier.

When I called Sky they spent 20 mins trying to persuade me to keep paying for TV and then grudgingly said I could cancel everything. Then the bombshell - I couldn't take my landline number to another supplier, as it is now part of the 'Sky network'.

Can they do this? I know telcos have to let you take your mobile number, but is it different for landlines? We've had the same number for 26 years (via BT) and the thought of telling everyone we've changed is daunting.

Anyone know about this?
Duckman9999

Comments

• I'm not sure if this will be the same, or not.
    I recently moved my service from TalkTalk to a company called OneBill.

My line was moved to the TT network from BT, and I had no idea what this meant. When I went to the new supplier, I was advised that as my line was on the TT network, the move would involve exchange work by Openreach, this could incurr costs upto £130.
    The new company absorbed those costs, so there was nothing for me to pay.

I suggest you speak to the company you wish to move to

Regards
    Munchie
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which provider are you attempting to switch to? If you are on Sky LLU, then you will have to go back to BT on a return to donor. It's free, but requring a 12m lne rental contract. You can't switch direct to another LLU service.
    You should be able to take your number with you on this basis.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2012 at 6:24PM
    macman wrote: »
    Which provider are you attempting to switch to? If you are on Sky LLU, then you will have to go back to BT on a return to donor. It's free, but requring a 12m lne rental contract. You can't switch direct to another LLU service.
    You should be able to take your number with you on this basis.

Its a bit of an urban myth that if you are a full LLU/MPF end user and want to move to another provider you have to go back to BT for a minimum term first, lots of Sky customers (MPF) moved directly from TalkTalk MPF, and if Sky can do it so can others, there does seem to be an issue when moving from LLU/MPF though,but its more to do with poor training of the potential gaining providers staff, or more likely, most are only geared up to do an easy migrate from BT, so imply that you have to go back to BT first,
    As far as the OP's problem, if the end user has had the same number for many years, it must be an 'exported' BT number on Skys equipment, so it is possible to get the number from Sky and onto another providers network, but unless BT are this provider, and thats unlikely if price is the deciding factor, any other provider may decide its just too much hassle to arrange, having said that, there is only two large MPF providers, (Sky and TT) and the smaller C&W (resold under various brands, but available in a lot fewer locations) so most smaller non MPF providers would be delivering service as a BT Wholesale re-seller, so getting the number back from Sky really shouldnt be a problem at all
  • macman
    There have certainly been reports on here that Sky have offered to do a direct LLU to LLU transfer without effectively putting in a new line. I'm not so sure how many of those 'offers' have then been successfully carried through though?
    Porting an ex-BT no. back should be the least of the problems.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    I lost my gold number going from virgin to bt
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • macman
    But that's a cable to ADSL port.
  • You should always be able to keep your number when moving from Sky to an Openreach WLR3 provider, and if the Sky line is currently live then the process is the same irrespective of whether the CLI was originally a BT or a Sky number.

If the number is owned by Sky (which I doubt given you've had it 26 years) then if you ceased your service with Sky the number would also cease and you couldn't port it out, as you can only port numbers away from a provider if they are associated with a live circuit. You would need to contact your new provider and ask them to port it away from Sky, and Sky should cease your service as part of the porting process.

If the CLI is orignally a BT number, then you have two options: cease your service with Sky and the CLI will return to the original rangeholder (in this case BT), and it will be in Openreach's list of "maturing" numbers. From there you could request this number via any WLR3 provider as part of a new provide (assuming the operator knows how to perform number reservation). Alternatively you could just contact your new provider and ask them to port the CLI, as above, and Sky should cease your line as part of the port.

With regards to LLU -> LLU migrations I know they are possible but as far as I know they are not routinely offered; I don't know whether this is due to lack of operator knowledge or just that the process isn't recognised as being stable enough for the large residential players to offer as part of their BAU services.
  • Hi everyone

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Can I make a simple plea? I'm not stupid (some people think I'm a gifted, clever & creative individual in my field), but I struggle to understand the jargon used in this industry. Please could you give it to me in idiot-speak!!!!

:D
    Duckman9999

• Mancunian
    Mancunian Posts: 963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2012 at 10:26AM
    Hi duckman9999

We moved from sky to talktalk but when we checked their was only certain suppliers we could go to. I have since found this was due to the varying equipment they all use.

In simple terms, just check your number on the various suppliers websites say:-

Talktalk
    Plusnet
    Post office
    Bt

and they should tell you if they can accommodate you.

Let us know how you go on.
    PLAY GOOD!

trolls and abusers will simply be added to my ignore list - you can do it too! its under USER CP

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/profile.php?do=IGNORElist
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport