Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    pjs
    easy biscuit/cake recipe needed urgently
    • 8th Feb 07, 10:39 AM
    easy biscuit/cake recipe needed urgently 8th Feb 07 at 10:39 AM
    The school is having a raffle and cake stall this afternoon (only school in area that is open today!) I was going to buy my ingredients this morning but because of the snow I couldnt get to Asda. I need to make some easy cakes or biscuits now but cant find any basic recipes. I have a
    kenwood chef,
    flour,
    eggs,
    choc chips
    butter
    milk
    but no baking powder.
    Probably some other bits lurking in cupboard. Any suggestions please?
Page 1
    • kal25
    • By kal25 8th Feb 07, 10:58 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    kal25
    • 8th Feb 07, 10:58 AM
    • 8th Feb 07, 10:58 AM
    Depends on what sort of flour you have? If you have plain flour you could make shortbread. 4oz plain flour, 4oz butter,2oz caster sugar, alittle vanilla flavouring. Just mix butter & sugar together then add the flour and vanilla. Roll on board cut into shapes/squares. Put in oven at gads mark 4 for approx 15-20mins.
    Or how about choc chip fairy cakes? 4oz of self raisng flour,4oz caster sugar,4oz butter,2 eggs and choc chips. Mix butter & sugar together add eggs then flour, then choc chips. Pour into cake cases. Or two large tins and put together to make choc chip sponge cake? Good luck.
    • honey
    • By honey 8th Feb 07, 11:01 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    honey
    • 8th Feb 07, 11:01 AM
    • 8th Feb 07, 11:01 AM
    How about Queenie's Every Day Biscuits HERE?
    post #125
  • pjs
    • 8th Feb 07, 11:06 AM
    • 8th Feb 07, 11:06 AM
    thankyou! gonna attempt the shortbread now. Just found vanilla essence at back of cupboard.
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 8th Feb 07, 11:09 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    • 8th Feb 07, 11:09 AM
    • 8th Feb 07, 11:09 AM
    100g SR flour
    100g Caster sugar
    100g soft marge
    2 eggs.

Chuck in a bowl, beat together (user food processor/hand mixer/wooden spoon). Add cocoa powder or choc chips or whatever takes your fancy.

Put into small cupcake cases and bake in oven.
    Or pour into greased dish and bake in oven.

Lovely if you add 20g cocoa and choc chips, line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper and bake in oven. Yum.

Ooops just seen - beaten to it by kal

DMP support thread (member #32)

• pjs
    • 8th Feb 07, 12:27 PM
    • 8th Feb 07, 12:27 PM
    done it! A few are a little crispy so i had to eat those. . They dont look very impressive compared to what some of the other mums make but at least I tried. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Feb 07, 12:40 PM
    • 5,666 Posts
    • 45,165 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 8th Feb 07, 12:40 PM
    • 8th Feb 07, 12:40 PM
    done it! A few are a little crispy so i had to eat those. . They dont look very impressive compared to what some of the other mums make but at least I tried. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
    by pjs
    But you ate some of them, and I bet they tasted OK?
    • honey
    • By honey 8th Feb 07, 12:56 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    honey
    • 8th Feb 07, 12:56 PM
    • 8th Feb 07, 12:56 PM
    by pjs
    Of course! I always "test" my biscuits or cakes research purposes u'know.

Doesn't matter that they don't look very impressive - bet they taste gorgeous.

Well done you x
    • kal25
    • By kal25 8th Feb 07, 2:07 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    kal25
    • 8th Feb 07, 2:07 PM
    • 8th Feb 07, 2:07 PM
    Of course! I always "test" my biscuits or cakes research purposes u'know.

Doesn't matter that they don't look very impressive - bet they taste gorgeous.

Well done you x
    by honey
    Absolutley, u have to research biscuits and cakes just to make sure they taste ok, wouldn't want them to taste awful would you
    It doesn't matter that they didn't look impressive, the point is you made the effort and they will LOOK homemade,if they looked perfect people might think you'd cheated
    Hope it goes ok, let us know how it went...
  • pjs
    Just got back. I was there first so got first pick of the lovely cakes. Thats pudding sorted for tonight. Not sure if any of my biscuits sold though!
    Anyway the main thing is we made some more money for the school library fund.
  • SmileyHappyBeing
    100g SR flour
    100g Caster sugar
    100g soft marge
    2 eggs.

Chuck in a bowl, beat together (user food processor/hand mixer/wooden spoon). Add cocoa powder or choc chips or whatever takes your fancy.

Put into small cupcake cases and bake in oven.
    Or pour into greased dish and bake in oven.

Lovely if you add 20g cocoa and choc chips, line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper and bake in oven. Yum.

Ooops just seen - beaten to it by kal
    by newlywed
    Hiya can anyone tell me what those measurements would be if you were to measure them out in a cup.. i havent got any scales and would like to try making the cake but dont wanna just guess.. by cup i mean like tea cup size (not a mug )

Thanks in advance..
    Baby due 8th march

Little girl born on the 8th of march
  • bigfatpig
    Easy peasy biscuits and cakes
    Anyone got any super simple recipes for biscuits or cakes? I'm fed up buying those full of preservatives and god knows what else from the supermarket. However my cooking skills leave a lot to be desired.

As an example I tried to make some simple flapjack last night. Over-cooked it so the edges were burnt but worst of all couldn't get it out the tin! I swear I greased it but ended up digging the middle bit out with a spoon and eating it mixed in with ice cream, the rest had to go in the bin!

Any help much appreciated
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 21st Jun 11, 3:07 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi bigfatpig,

These threads should help:

Easy Biscuit recipe please

Easy cheap cake recipe required!

easy biscuit/cake recipe needed urgently

I'll merge your thread with one of those later.

Pink
    • the cake
    • By the cake 21st Jun 11, 3:14 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 7,404 Thanks
    the cake
    I made these over the weekend, they were quick, very easy, and absolutely yummy:

Cheese Muffins

Heat oven to 200C/gas mark 6.

180ml milk
    90g grated cheddar cheese
    120g plain flour
    1 HEAPED dessertspoon baking powder
    Optional: a good grinding of black pepper, or a little paprika, or a pinch of dry mustard powder
    Mix the dry ingredients in a big bowl, then add the milk. Divide the mixture between 6 large muffin tins, bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
    They don't rise like ordinary muffins, but are gorgeous warm from the oven, and also lovely heated up gently, a couple of days later....mmm.
    They go very well with soup, and also split in half with a slice of ham inside, like a sandwich.
    • pauleyc
    • By pauleyc 21st Jun 11, 3:16 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    pauleyc
    for flapjack i put on one of those small baking trays, with grease proof paper and as i take it out of the oven i cut it into squares (still leaving to cool in tin) hth
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 21st Jun 11, 8:27 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    As already said, use grease proof paper (no need to grease) as you remove from the oven mark out into squares. Leave to cool for a short time and then ease the paper off the flapjack (easier to remove the paper than pull the flapjack off IYKWIM.

See if someone has a dairy diary cookbook as this is full of plain simple stuff that is easy to make.
    x
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
  • JayJay14
    Try this,

Go to home bargains or a pound shop and buy a teflon type non stick sheet, cut in half, put them in a square cake tin criss cross like this....

don't worry about the corners and you can just lift the cake/flapjack out using the non stick sheet. They wash many times, my first has done about a year of baking. No need to grease or flour.
  • katie89
    I love burnt flapjack, and burnt choc cake! No joke!

But Gingerbread biscuits are really easy to make; just melt marg, golden syrup and brown sugar in a saucepan, add to plain flour with a bit of baking powder and ginger, roll out, cut, and bake for about 12 mins.
    2011 Wins : Models own makeup product, Photoplusx4 software Mens hair dye
    • MaggieBaking
    • By MaggieBaking 21st Jun 11, 10:55 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    MaggieBaking
    As simple as they come and very tasty:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shortbread_1290

You can still overcook them though if you're not careful! (Which I did, personally mine needed 12-15 mins cooking.)

To tart them up a bit you could dip them in some melted chocolate.
    • tootoo
    • By tootoo 21st Sep 11, 7:04 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    tootoo
    Easy cakes please....
    Hi all,
    My toddler loves helping me cook, but I'm getting a little bored of fairy cakes, shortbread and scones! Does anyone have any suggestions of easyish cakes please?
    I have quite a lot of baking bits in already.
    Thank you.
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,879Posts Today

7,026Users online

Martin's Twitter