PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

a month without supermarket - new challenge for 2011 starts at post 1013

Options
hope this will be ok with the mods... if not please delete..

i am going to set myself a challenge... feel free if you would like to join in.. give helpfull hints ....tips etc.....

to try and not go to supermarkets for one month .....starting from TODAY.....

now this will be a very long habbit to break.. as even though i do use a local butcher most of the time....i do tend to go to tescos to buy a lot of stuff because of the cheapness.... and the loyality points...

which has paid for my new fridge freezer and halogen hob..

i should imagine that my problem will be my store cupboard items.....

i have a stock pile of toiletries.. because of the h&b voucher glitch with tescos.... plus i have about 50 tubs left of lurpak butter spreadable butter in the freezer do to money off vouchers for free packs.....i also have a stock pile of loo rolls as it was hald price a while back...

today i am going to try and find a milkman to deliver milk.. the last milkman i had finished as it wasnt worth him doing it......even though it is more expensive.....it could work out cheaper in the end....by not doing impulse buys ....

if you would like to tweek some rules of places where i can or can not use... please feel free to let me know what you think.....as what would be classed as non- supermarket... etc..

WHAT THE HECK HAVE I LEFT MYSELF IN FOR:eek:

edit........the list of rebels so far......

no..01 .... cooltrikerchick
no..02......kscour
no..03..... little miss thrifty
no..04..... the optimist
no..05......rach
no..06......catzninen
no..07......bargin rzl
no..08......hazzie123
no..09......frugal fox
no..10......katmad99
no..11......kimnhol
no..12......peem
no..13......penny-pincher
no..14......lelc
no..15......vivw
no..16......dianeclaire
no..17......psykicpup
no..18......tinselfairy
no..19......looby-loo
no..20......sandieb
no..21......diamondcatz
no..22......icemaiden
no..23......kittie
no..24......mrs a
no..25......TKP
no..26......aimeelister

threadbanner.gif
Work to live= not live to work

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck with this, not sure I could do it. But the temptation in supermarkets is unbelievable. Many times I've gone just for milk and comes out with lots of items that took my fancy. As for the butter you have if you add porridge oats, syrup and sugar you could make flapjacks.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Great idea! Farm shops and Farmers' markets spring to mind.

Try Big Barn for suppliers near you.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in! Likewise it will be difficult finding storecupboard items but we'll manage ;)

What about local shops? There's an oriental food store in my village, it's supporting the independant trader so I'm assuming I'm okay shopping there? Are we just avoiding supermarket/chain stores?
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    HI... cazzdevil...... hurraaaayyy i have a mutual partner..:T

its not going to the 'big guns' so to speak.... and supporting independant... local-ish traders.....or even mail order... but from independant peeps....

so no tescos.... asda... morrisons.... lidles.... etc...

i think the first week or two isnt going to be that bad for me as .... my cupboard is looking healthy.. for i will be using this week to think of places and find out prices so i can ajust my menus to suit...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just been looking at veg box deliveries in my area, there's a place a few miles away but I'm going to take a trip to a local farm shop this weekend to compare prices before signing up.
    We don't eat much meat, but the local butcher is supposed to be very good quality and locally sourced so I'll look into that too.

I think it will be quite easy for me! OH needs fattening up though (his illness has made him lose a lot of weight lately), so we might need to keep buying him junky stuff but we'll see how it goes.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd love to do this unfortunately with having to take my parents shopping every week I have no choice but to visit Lidl and the dreaded Mr T :( I put as little money in their pockets as possible though.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would the local small Co-Op be classed as a supermarket? Independent grocers don't exist in these parts, unless you count the very up-market deli, if I had to shop there I'd be broke within a month. Would love to use small shops all the time but the budget's not up to it. My weekly treat is a loaf from a real baker, it's wonderful but cost £1.70!!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a great idea, but no use for me I don't think as my nearest shop is an out of town Sainsburys or a really rubbish village shop that is really expensive and has stuff go out of date (I live in the middle of nowhere), so Sainsburys it has to be (or maybe Morrisons which is just a bit further, but you have to use the car to get to any of them). I do know what you mean by going in for a carton of milk and coming out having spent loads though!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I like this idea, but where can I get baking supplies ? My farmshop sells flour, but it is horrendously expensive stuff from an organic mill. What about sugar, baking powder, oils etc / The only shop I can think of that sells these is an expensive deli, and it only carries small bags of flour and sugar. I'm not sure it is possible to avoid supermarkets entirely and save money at the same time.
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    good luck with the task in hand

would love to do it, I am trying in a smaller way by

use our local butchers which is fantastic

make more of own bread, cakes etc anyway

buy fruit/veg seasonally at farm shops etc

just use supermarkets now for things like sugar, coffee, loo rolls etc

our only local independent is very expensive, and I am saving up for clubcard deals for my hols!
    Carolbee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport