🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Long Term Winter Holidays

Options
In America they call them snowbirds, people living in Canada / North USA that fly to Florida and the Caribbean and stay for at least one month, i'm surprised companies here dont offer more set deals for 2 months holidays in places like Malta, Cyprus etc. When you think off all the empty properties and how much you can save on fuel, electric etc. It would be ideal for pensioners.

http://www.harduptimes.blogspot.com/2011/12/long-stay-winter-holidays.html

Comments

• hxm
    hxm Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mercury Direct do good deals on winter holidays like this in Malta and Cyprus
  • coupleuk
    coupleuk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    weather in malta in winter can be VERY wet and not all that warm - but still better than UK most days.

egypt is great for long term stays - most online operators allow you to enter upto 42 nights as standard. You do need to get visa from egyptian embassy in london for stays of 14+ days. Its done by post and is very quick.

try delta sharm thru holidaynights.co.uk - be sure to go for the delux suites as they even have washing machines - we pay £18/night each and that all-inclusive.
  • paulwellerfan
    Options
    went i went to Kenya a couple of years ago.
    there were couples who booked for at least 10-12 weeks through the winter months.
    they got some really really good deals.
    credit card bill. £0.00
    overdraft £0.00
    Help from the state £0.00
  • alv_3
    Options
    Hi, if you are looking for discounts on long term winter holidays in the South of Europe you can find great long term winter holidays deals in Almuñecar, Spain. Great climate and plenty of thing to do.
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of UK pensioners do this already. The costas are extremely popular with long termers in the winter months.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Costa Blanca is full of oldies there for 3 or 4 months over the winter
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    You can't move for 'swallows' in the Canaries over the winter
    These days you stand much more chance of being run over by a mobility scooter than being accosted by a timeshare tout.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Costa Blanca is full of oldies there for 3 or 4 months over the winter

So is South East Asia. And people not so old too. I have a friend who works 70 hour weeks for 9 months then heads off to Thailand for 3 months in the winter.
  • arthurdick
    arthurdick Posts: 3,654 Forumite
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    You can't move for 'swallows' in the Canaries over the winter
    These days you stand much more chance of being run over by a mobility scooter than being accosted by a timeshare tout.
    i make you right on that one.. i recently got back from los cristianos, and there were more "madge mobiles|" than there were blokes selling shades and bangles..
    there were even a few stretch madge mobiles, ok, i mean double seated ones.... was a nice easy going place though, somewhere i could do a month or so at a time, when i get to that age..and the weather is almost lovely all year round, good for my smashed up bones that i did years ago.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines! Back home in London now after 27years wait! Duvet know it's Christmas, not original, it's a cover.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    saga holidays website maybe to get an idea of prices, or suitable hotels for anyone who is interested( not that I've done it!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport