We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

car seats

Options
Boy is 5 months now and we need to start looking at car seats now. We have 2 cars possibly both with iSOFIX. Going to go halfrods and try some out but wondered if people had any advice. Not sure if we need 2 or whether we could buy 2 bases and then use car seat as needed in each car? ANy advice would be great

ta

Comments

• elainec
    elainec Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi, i think you need to look at how often you would be swapping car seat over and if baby would be in it or not. some seats can be very awkward and heavy.me and my oh ended up buying 2 seats as we both did 1 nursery run a day so saved us having to leave seat at nursery and taking it in and out so often.
    :j
  • Kira000
    Kira000 Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    Options
    First you need to check that both your cars are compatible with the same seats/bases. They may both be isofix compatible, but not all cars are necessarily compatible with the same bases.

We have bought 2 isofix bases, and one seat, so we can leave a base in my car, one in DH's car and just transfer the seat depending on who is driving. Fortunately DH's BMW and my fiesta are both compatible with the same maxi cosi isofix base which made the 2 bases, 1 seat work. The manufacturer of your chosen base should have a compatibility chart. If you find your cars arent compatible, then you will have to get 2 bases and 2 seats one set per car.
    Married 13/03/10 #1 DD born 13/01/12!!

;)Newborn Thread Founder ;)
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Isofix isn't that well used in second stage car seats.

Also, car seats are VERY heavy, and really not convenient to change between cars.

We've got the Maxi Cosi Axiss, which is brilliant for 5 door cars, and in our other 3 door car we have the Maxi Cosi Priori XP.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • freddie_2
    Options
    TBH if he is only 5 mths he does NOT need to change car seats. Unless you are considering a rear facing group 1/2 seat he is so much safer in his group 0 rear facing.

Honestly maybe in another 8-10 months I would think about changing but diffently not now.

Both may children were in the group 0 seat till 18mths, fitted perfectly and so much safer.
  • go_cat
    go_cat Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Agree with the above 5 months is far too young to swap to stage 1 - they do not have sufficient neck support for forward facing

Your only option is a 0/1 stage which is rear facing then changes to forward facing but definitely do not put them forward facing now
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    go_cat wrote: »
    Agree with the above 5 months is far too young to swap to stage 1 - they do not have sufficient neck support for forward facing

Your only option is a 0/1 stage which is rear facing then changes to forward facing but definitely do not put them forward facing now

I read it as the OP was just LOOKING at car seats for the future, not actually going to buy/use one now! These things take months to research!

I squeezed by boy into his rear facing one until he was 10.5 months when his head reached the top and I could hardly fit his shoulders in! He was above the 98% centile though, so HUGE! My friend's baby is at the other end of the scale, so at 18 months she still fits into her rear facing one!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • sweaty_betty
    Options
    Hi there - we moved our LO up to the next stage car seat around 11-12 months. We have a kiddy guardian pro car seat, which is really good - apparently it was rated highly by which? magazine for safety. I can recommend it :)
  • ClareEmily
    Options
    At 13 months we also changed to the kiddy guardian pro car seat, we and baby loves it
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for responses. Just looking at present and aren't planning on changing for some time. We aren't exactly blessed in the length department so imagine it will be at least another 6 months if not more. However if there are some good deals about say in January sales then we can buy it then. Definately going to have a trip to shops and report back what we think. Ta
  • Chakani
    Chakani Posts: 826 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Kiddy Infinity and a Kiddy Guardian Pro for my two children (they didn't make the Guardian when we bought the Infinity) - I am really impressed with both, but in particular, the Guardian pro, both my kids (3 and a big 10 months) are comfortable in it, and it is light and easy to transfer from car to car if need be.

It's good value when you consider the length of time it will last, and they have been a top Which best buy for at least the last 3 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport