What is financial responsibilities to step-children

Options
If a bloke marries a women who already has children, he obviously has to accept that he is going to be bearing some of the financial burden of raising them.

However, does marrying mean the children's biological father is absolved from his financial obligations?

What happens if the marriage subsequently fails - is the step father then expected to pay maintanence as if he had been the biological father?

I've tried googling and can only really find information relating to parental responsibility which the new bloke doesn't automatically get when he marries.
7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course it doesn't mean the father is abolved of financial responsibility. Mum marrying someone else doesn't make their dad less their dad. The step-dad is not financially responsible for the children, he is responsible for his partner and her responsibility whilst with her. this means that yes, he would support her children whilst together, but not if they separate.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    A biological father has the legal and moral obligation to contribute towards the children's upkeep. The mother re-marrying doesn't change that. A step-father, once divorced, won't be expected to make contributions for some-one else's children unless he has formally adopted them when married.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    It basically means he will be daddy when it suits and only the step dad when it does not and money is usually the arguing factor.
    Example: Child needs a new bed and new clothes, thats step fathers job !
    Child needs to be told off for misbehaving, thats not stepfathers Job.
    easy.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What a strange question!! Why on earth would a "step" be liable for maintenance if they split up??? The only person liable to pay maintenance is the biological father.
  • full-time-mum
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    What a strange question!!

I don't dispute this but someone once told me they would be responsible for maintenance of their step-children if they split because they had been supporting them for a number of years as if they were their father.

Thought it odd at the time but didn't know anyone likely to be in that position until now...
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • Ravenlady_2
    Options
    Its a common myth along with getting pregnant from a toilet seat, Eating crusts will turn your hair curly and you catch cold from not wearing socks.

I cant fathom why anyone would actually believe it.
    Little Person Number 4 Due March 2012
    Little Person Number 3 Born Feb 2011
    Little Lump Born 2006
    Big Lump born 2002
  • full-time-mum
    Options
    Ravenlady wrote: »
    Its a common myth along with getting pregnant from a toilet seat, Eating crusts will turn your hair curly and you catch cold from not wearing socks.

I cant fathom why anyone would actually believe it.

Maybe, because sometimes the law seems to defy logic.
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    What a strange question!! Why on earth would a "step" be liable for maintenance if they split up??? The only person liable to pay maintenance is the biological father.

Unless the step-parent adopts.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • LegalBlonde
    LegalBlonde Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    I think in America if an alimony settlement was agreed, it is cancelled if the mother remarries (and maybe recalculated to consider everyone's means). Mind you I am only basing this on Two and a Half Men.
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 January 2016 :o

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ravenlady wrote: »

:rotfl:Those take me back a bit!!!:eek: Along with, don't sit on cold stones you'll get piles, don't wash your hair when on your period, don't go out with wet hair, you'll get a cold, don't wear damp clothes you'll get rheumatism etc etc :rotfl: And we believed them!!! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure