MSE News: Euro crisis - How safe is Santander?

Options

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing like a dramatic sounding 'news' item to get people worked up over nothing...
  • 2sides2everystory
    Options
    These stories are just tiny facets of a giant iceberg which is being powered and navigated in my opinion.

Question is by whom?DF-07004-1024x680.jpg
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure why Santander are being picked on, they have a better credit rating than most other large financial insitutions.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Possibly the thread has been posted to protect Martin's backside from another Channel 4 News attack (thinking back to Icelandic banks). He cant be accused of not covering all the bases this way. Expect to see threads on all sorts of bottom covering hypothetical scenarios in future. ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bell98
    Bell98 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To Gozomark - as far as I know they invest in their savings account as it's the "low risk" option. It used to be into Abbey but they were taken over.
  • vroom3
    vroom3 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    What a load of old nonsense this article is!

Are we going to see a simialr article about Barclays or Lloyds etc or ING?

All this sort of ill informed headline scaremongering does is cause panic for people who rely websites such as this to understand what is happening today. This will result in them making ill inormed decisions on closing ISA's etc - which could cost in lost interest and penalties etc..

Mr Anker - More responsible journalism please!
  • taxsaver
    taxsaver Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    This kind of scaremonger journalism is irresponsible in my opinion and only serves to increase panic and knee-jerk reactions that can actually CAUSE the very problems that the article purports to warn us about! **bangs head against the wall**
    If you feel my comments are helpful then I'd love it if you 'Thanked' me! :)
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    I completely agree with the last two posts. This is a very irresponsible article, and its journalism such as this which added to the problems at Northern Rock and the general banking crisis in 2008. Thumbs down to MSE.
  • temporary1
    temporary1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2011 at 8:44PM
    Options
    I transferred all my savings out of Santander last week .
    Everybody will react to this news in their own way and according to their own conscience.
    Minimise your exposure to the risk as best you can, then safely watch as all of the financial world's smoke and mirror deceptions, and house-of-cards banks, come tumbling down.
    Tik-Tok, Tik-tok.
    Forewarned is forearmed.
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2011 at 10:07PM
    Options
    I'm sick of seeing Santander being pulled apart on here. I and many others are happy customers - as someone else said 'why santander' when other banks are in as much if not more trouble. Yes there's a risk, but then wasn't there a risk when our banks had to be bailed out.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport