Mexico Tips Wanted!

Options
danielley
danielley Posts: 744 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 11 September 2011 at 11:02AM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
Hello there,

We have booked a 2 week break to Mexico for our honeymoon and I am getting very excited now! We are staying in the Occidental Grand Xcaret.

We are staying all inclusive, but I believe that it is customary to leave a small tip when eating or drinking in the hotel, so I have a few questions

Which currency are the tips more appreciated in US dollars, Mexican Peso's or £'s?

I was thinking of leaving the equivalnet of £1-2 a time when having a few drinks and maybe a bit more for meals, bearing mind we are all inclusive is this ok? Or will this be seen as mean?

I have heard about a Mexican entry/exit fee? How much is this and when do you pay it (and which currency is it payable in - can you pay by card)

I have heard that Cancun airport is a bit hairy.... any tips for what to do, what not to do there. Do they sell duty free cigarettes there, can you but them on exit?

If anyone has any other tips about Mexico or about all inclusive hotels in general (because it is my first AI experience) I would really appreciate it

Thanks very much

Comments

• KonkyWonky
    Options
    The employees will be grateful for tips in any currency, but it is always best to tip in the local currency. That way the workers get the full amount and do not lose out when it comes to exchanging the tip back to their own currency.

Your level of tipping sounds fine, you would be surprised at how many people leave no tips at all.

There is an exit tax, can't remember how much but in the region of £40 GBP per person? It can be paid in either Pesos, US Dollars or GBP.

I wouldn't say Cancun Airport is particularly hairy. Just hold on to your suitcase when exiting, there are lots of porters wanting to carry your bag for you and obviously looking for money for doing so. A firm but polite "no thanks" should suffice.

Cancun is a fab place, you will have a great time :beer:
  • lady1964
    Options
    Hi there,
    We came back from Cancun last month and we stayed AI at the Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos - about 20 mins driv from Cancun airport.

I would concur with what KonkyWonky has already said but will add what we did:
    • tipped about 20 pesos every other time (but sometimes each time) we got a drink - this equals around £1
    • We didn't tip in the buffet restaurant - we didn't order fancy cocktails to be made, we only drank water at mealtimes, apart from tea at breakfast.
    • We left a tip of about £20 for the room maid when we left.
    • Yes, you can buy cigs at the duty free on exit at Cancun airport, mainly American brands though, I bought Superkings, but remember you're only allowed 200 cigs per adult.
    • We didn't pay an exit tax but that might have been because we flew Club World on BA and hubby said it was included in the fare.
    We found service was really good in our resort. All staff were very friendly and responded well to an 'Hola' each time we saw one and English was widely spoken. Take some mosquito repellent, we all suffered to an extent even with it, so if you're susceptible, be prepared!
    We did a trip to Xel-Ha, swam with dolphins and it was excellent, well worth the hour & a half drive from our resort. We checked the prices with the tour company in the hotel, then went online & booked it that way, we got around £50 off the price for 3 adults.
    AI are generally excellent value for money, I've been to 6 in Egypt, 2 in Barbados and this holiday we just had and the standard in Cancun was the best. It's easy to get carried away with the 'free' drink etc but take it easy in the heat, drink plenty of water (we always had bottles of cold water on the go as well).
    As for the food, try different things, put a little on your plate if you're not sure, you can always leave it if you don't like it & get more if you do, that's one of the beauties of AI in my view.
    Above all, have a fabulous honeymoon!!
  • minimad1970
    Options
    KonkyWonky wrote: »

There is an exit tax, can't remember how much but in the region of £40 GBP per person? It can be paid in either Pesos, US Dollars or GBP.

Cancun is a fab place, you will have a great time :beer:
    We came back in july and you could only pay the exit tax in pesos. Unless like me you lost the pesos you had put away to pay it and your card won't work in the cashpoint, the First Coice rep had to get permission from the tax collecting man for me to use my debit card which he wasn't overly pleased about.:o We also went to Xel-Ha and Tulum, both of which were lovely. We swam with manatees which was fantastic. Have a lovely honeymoon.
  • MrsBryan_2
    Options
    We're going on honeymoon to the El Dorado Royale in Riveria Maya in a week....can't wait! We were told to only take pesos....and thought we'd tip between 10-20 a time! Its our first time to Mexico too, and although we are SO excited I'm a little nervous as the furthest we've ever been is Turkey!
    We've always been to all inclusive hotels, we really prefer them. Although our hotel is adults only and al-a-carte so will be different to the usual rush to the buffet table!
    Happy honeymoon-ing to you xx
    Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference :)
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    I agree with everything stated above, I would pay your exit tax in Pesos. Also, be aware that when you arrive at Cancun airport, you will have to queue to have all your luggage scaned again. This can take quite a time if there are loads of aircraft all landing within minutes of each other.

Have fun, you will love it.
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    I would check out tripadvisor forums for some more advice

Cancun airport was (8 years ago this is) quite busy and you ned your wits aout you when you try and find your rep for you transfer coach. there used to be an issue with official looking reps grabbing your luggage and pretending to take you to your coach but it was really time share - don't fall for that. Make sure you see your rep tick off your name on their list

At the time $ or pesos were fine but possibly with USA's money problems they may prefer pesos more so now. I would tip a la carte restaurants same as home with a good few peso's and occassional tips for bar tenders and waiters for drinks and room maid every day or few days (they may change so don't leave it until end of your stay)

Xcaret water park and Xel ha water parks are supposed to be great (we only did Xel ha and was enjoyable). Tulum not to far away. Chichen Itza is a long long way away so only go if you really want to see it.
    Playa Del Carmen was a nice enough town but plenty of tourist traps there but certainly less developed and concrete jungle like than Cancun!
    Puerto Morelos is nice little town as mentioned above and worth a visit to beach and lunch at Los Pelicanos if its still there.
    Also good to get out and see some cenotes if you can - amazing water holes and you can swim some

Try the ceviche somewhere good as its lovely if you like fresh fish and plenty of limes with everything!
    Enjoy!
  • Kt8
    Kt8 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Having been to el dorado Mexico last year the workers there prefer dollars. We took pesos on everyone's advice but it was too much messing round when trying to tip whereas in dollars it's just a single note tip to hand over. Everyone tipped in dollars and the barmen said they preferred dollars when we asked.
    El dorados food and hotel are out of this world and the food sets the bar for future holidays as it's gourmet.. We won't go to ai if it's buffet but having been now to el dorado we struggle to find ai's with food that matches up. Amazing and cant wait to go back
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    the mexican government brought in legislation last year to prevent money-laundering etc. as a a result mexicans are only allowed to deposit $1000 per month into their banks. this means that nowhere is taking us dollars. just bring mexican peso and use that to tip.
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • KonkyWonky
    Options
    Kt8 wrote: »
    Having been to el dorado Mexico last year the workers there prefer dollars. We took pesos on everyone's advice but it was too much messing round when trying to tip whereas in dollars it's just a single note tip to hand over. Everyone tipped in dollars and the barmen said they preferred dollars when we asked.
    El dorados food and hotel are out of this world and the food sets the bar for future holidays as it's gourmet.. We won't go to ai if it's buffet but having been now to el dorado we struggle to find ai's with food that matches up. Amazing and cant wait to go back

I don't understand why you had so much trouble messing around when trying to tip in Peso's but you didn't when tipping in Dollars. At the end of the day you are leaving a single bill, whether it is a 10 Peso bill or a 1 Dollar bill :undecided
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2011 at 7:47AM
    Options
    KonkyWonky wrote: »
    I don't understand why you had so much trouble messing around when trying to tip in Peso's but you didn't when tipping in Dollars. At the end of the day you are leaving a single bill, whether it is a 10 Peso bill or a 1 Dollar bill :undecided

The smallest Peso note is a 20, my Pesos came in higher value notes, 500s and 1,000s, changjing these at the hotel was a pain, the hotel was reluctant to change them and only gave me a couple of 20s each time, the rest in 100s. This meant either tipping a fiver or more once the 20s had gone. Much easier and more flexible to get an amount of single U.S.dollar bills before you go and then tip, 1, 2 or however many as appropriate.

It worked for me and while I appreciate the "when in Rome" sentiment and I did try my schoolboy Spanish, to their amusement, it does seem to be a common problem to get small change, see this LINK about halfway down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure