Nationwide Home insurance renewal ripoff!

Options
wife-spent-it-all
wife-spent-it-all Posts: 23 Forumite
edited 20 March 2013 at 4:51PM in Insurance & life assurance
I have a mortgage with Nationwide and for years we have had our buildings and contents insurance with them too. In July they sent me the renewal notice and at the time I was busy with other stuff so it got put to the bottom of the pile again just like it has every year before.

Tonight I found the renewal letter again whilst looking for something else and I decided to see how good the renewal quote actually was.

For buildings and contents cover my current 12 month policy with Churchill via Nationwide is £570. The comparision sites are quoting upwards of £270 - thats a difference of £300 and I am absolutely stunned :eek:

I've tried to get the cover as identical as possible for comparision purposes and even a quote from Churchill via MSM is coming up at £320 and the AA is £285.

I guess i'll be cancelling this policy once I can get a new one setup unless anyone can explain why the extra 250-300 quid is worth spending.

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    Cannot say what is worth spending for your personal circumstance but ensure that you look at the levels of cover received as these vary greatly between insurers.

If you are going to switch and if your doing it mid term, remember to factor in the cancellation fee from your insurers and that your mortgage provider may also charge an insurance switching fee - though some insurers will refund this fee to win your new business
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For buildings and contents cover my current 12 month policy with Churchill via Nationwide is £570. The comparision sites are quoting upwards of £270 - thats a difference of £300 and I am absolutely stunned

Are you sure you are comparing like for like? Bank & building societies tend to include all options (e.g. accidental damage, personal possessions cover etc).

A common error for those shopping around is to leave the options off and that accounts for such a big difference.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aside the other comments, there is a very simple reason while all banks and building societies Home insurance is more expensive. Commission. They get paid the very top rates of commission and rely on customer apathy in that these premiums are usually included with the annual statement and they won't notice!

On dunstonh's point above, he is of course correct and if you need a Rolls Royce policy then that is fine but many don't and still pay for cover they don't need. Even then, I am pretty certain that 'like for like' cover can still be bought considerably cheaper than through pretty much any bank or building society when it is related to a mortgage!
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    ............ In July they sent me the renewal notice and at the time I was busy with other stuff so it got put to the bottom of the pile again just like it has every year before.....................
    .......... can explain why the extra 250-300 quid is worth spending.....................

Ian

It's not.
    You just got caught by the usual auto renewal loyalty penalty.
    Up to 100% extra on the standard premium in the hope you miss it.
  • talulah25
    Options
    Going off on a tangent here but my MIL was recently sold a Nationwide home insurance policy, the teller in the building society recommended £16,000 contents for a large 3 bed house, MIL works for an electrical retailer so they have every gadget going and expensive furnishings. This is what happens when you target people to sell products they know nothing about!
  • unsure
    unsure Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had a similar experience with Nationwide, after years with no claims the cost of renewal has jumped to £750 (nearly 30% increase). A quick check on the comparison sites recommended by MSE suggests I can get the equivalent cover for around half of that price! To make matters worse if I go on the Nationwide site I see they are offering new customers an automatic 25% discount which is unavailable to exisiting customers. I phoned them up and was told "that the best we can do." Since they are going to charge me extra for my many years loyalty and claim-free history I'm cancelling and will go elsewhere. They must think their customers are mugs...hopefully others will also prove them wrong by doing likewise and insuring elsewhere!
    Just because somebody is certain doesn't mean they are right!
  • unsure
    unsure Posts: 758 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2011 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Sorted, a single phone call and £350 better off for slightly enhanced buildings and content cover. Bye Bye Nationwide!
    Just because somebody is certain doesn't mean they are right!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure