Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,184Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1229
    • cloo
    • By cloo 10th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    cloo
    Some things we did in the mid 90s - rag rolling, wallpaper borders are dated
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I have ruled some things out as too much potential to date... I like that 'mixed up Moorish tile' look but it is *so* 'now' and will date horribly. Ditto industrial-style fillament bulbs and copper fittings - looks nice but will date fast.

Those wall stickers things are just cheap and tacky, though!
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 10th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Ditto industrial-style fillament bulbs and copper fittings - looks nice but will date fast.
    Originally posted by cloo
    I agree, a shame as that's a look I do like.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 16,809 Posts
    • 46,411 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Another one that likes that type of light fitting - but I'd groan a bit at knowing that I wouldnt have to take it out for a few years - but would be taking it out at some point....
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 10th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Straight out of a fairytale
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55986546.html
    Last edited by RedFraggle; 10-08-2018 at 3:46 PM.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 10th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Now that I do like.

Cheaper than I would expect too but probably something of a money pit to maintain in good condition.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Link brings up RM homepage
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 10th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Link brings up RM homepage
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Just need to delete the last 3 characters of the URL: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55986546.html
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Just need to delete the last 3 characters of the URL: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55986546.html
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    looks horrible, least it leads to the Shire and beyond
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 10th Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    TamsinC
    I LOVE it - my idea of heaven
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 10th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Now that I do like.
    looks horrible, least it leads to the Shire and beyond
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    I LOVE it - my idea of heaven
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    Definite marmite house then
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 10th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    TamsinC
    nom nom marmite - drool
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    • 7,469 Posts
    • 51,312 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Looks handy for the pub (pic 11) if one should wish to stop by for a tankard of ye olde mead
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Would have to paint all that wood in a nice white shade to match the existing exterior and interior, panel in and paint the staircase in a nice white, replace the door and windows with UPVC ones, partition off the sleeping area and put in a false ceiling upstairs and in the kitchen.

(Runs for cover to avoid wrath and missiles of "Ye Olde Worlde" lovers!)
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 3,949 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I like it - but don't think I'd want to live in it.
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 10th Aug 18, 3:04 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 19,518 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    I like it - but don't think I'd want to live in it.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Bedroom and living room upstairs, loo downstairs. That'd be an accident waiting to happen for me! Though suppose could keep a camping toilet in the bedroom.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 10th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Would have to paint all that wood in a nice white shade to match the existing exterior and interior, panel in and paint the staircase in a nice white, replace the door and windows with UPVC ones, partition off the sleeping area and put in a false ceiling upstairs and in the kitchen.

grade 2 listed - you would never get permission (thank goodness, I say as an 'ye olde world' lover )
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 10th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    This is why it's cheap

Agent!!!8217;s notes
    !!!8226; The Old Gatehouse currently has planning as a holiday let; changing its status to full residential should be a fairly straightforward planning procedure, subject to planning.
    !!!8226; There is an agreement between the previous owners (The Vivat Trust) and Historic England that has approximately two years to run. It precludes any lending on the building and the owner!!!8217;s need to open the house to the public (to be agreed with HE). This, however, shouldn't hinder or impinge on the use of the building.
    !!!8226; An ongoing maintenance schedule is provided for the next two years.
    !!!8226; A recent onsite meeting with Historic England raised the possibility of re-instating the lost wing to the south east of the building. The consensus was that an oak-framed modern extension would be respectful to the original frame. This could add another reception room and a further bedroom/bathroom, subject to planning.
    !!!8226; The garden/land to the rear is on a 46 year lease from the owner of The Old Rectory next door (currently under The Vivat trust name).
    !!!8226; The access and land to the front is classed as !!!8216;no man!!!8217;s land!!!8217;; unencumbered access has been given for the past 550 years and so the current owners have an insurance policy to protect this access.
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 10th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Oh no, I thought that numbers glitch was an I phone thing but I'm android!
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Anyone remember sponging? Where you applied 3 or 4 adjacent shades of pastel to the wall using a sponge?

You ended up with an effect a bit like this
    https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTE2OVgxMTY1/z/Z70AAOSwdu9arnob/$/Robert-Heindel-Passion-of-Land-Limited-Edition-_57.jpg
    unless of course you coc ked it up. I have to say I still like it....
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    westernpromise

Very unambitious. I would be looking to knock everywhere through into everywhere else.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,276Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter