WARNING: Don't buy car insurance from ASDA ONLINE

Options
lanmonkey
lanmonkey Posts: 28 Forumite
edited 4 August 2011 at 6:45PM in Insurance & life assurance
when my car insurance came up for renewal I used the money saving expert guide and went with ASDA online through one of the comparison websites. They were one of the cheapest but today I found out why:

When I took out the policy ASDA sent me a letter asking for a copy of my driving license and proof of no claims bonus and they included an addressed envelope. the same day I photocopied my dirving license and sent the documents off. that was about 3 weeks ago and didn't hear anything..... until today.

So I get another letter from ASDA stating that they have not recieved a copy of my license and they have cancelled my insurance! no notice, no reminder no nothing!! best thing is the letter is dated 1st august and I didn't get the letter until the 4th so I have been driving illegally without even knowing for 4 days!

the letter also states:

1> it is illegal for me to drive my car
2> I wont get my money back until I sent them my certificate of insurance minus a £75 fee.
3> if I try and get a new car insurance from another company I must tell them that I have had cover withdrawn, which will obviously bump up the cost.

I try and call ASDA insurace and they say that its another company altogether that does the online deals and I have to call them. So I call them and a recorded message tells me they only answer the phones between 9-5 on weekedays.

So here I am, no car insurance, been driving my car illegally for 4 days without even knowing it AND I have to drive to work in the morning.

My only hope now is to try and get a lift off someone (20 miles out in the countryside) and see if I can talk to this other insurance company to get things sorted out them.

I am so mad right now I could put my fist through my monitor. :mad:

I can see why they were so cheap. BEWARE

Comments

• lanmonkey
    Options
    OK so after having to scrounge a lift to work I phoned them up this morning. They claimed that along with my drivers license they also needed the counterpart license. This wasn't originally made clear at all. They claim they emailed me a reminder about this on the 17th of July, which I have no record of. I have had no phone calls about this either, communication is severely lacking.

They also refuse to accept the document now and refuse to reinstate my policy. I have to send them my certificate of insurance back and they are going to charge me a £75 admin fee. I have to get new car insurance now too before they send me any money back. I have been properly screwed over.

I will NEVER user ADSA for any financial services again. Can they really get away with being this !!!!?
  • citykid5
    citykid5 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    what ever happened to good customer service? the insurance market is being run by a bunch of sharks,and incouraged to do so by the toothless tigers who are being paid from the public purse to regulate them.so asda will make a extra £75 for NOT PROVIDING YOU WITH CAR INSURANCE? and have just upped your insurance premiums with all other insurers in 1 simple hit,by canceling a policy...HOW CAN THIS BE EITHER FAIR OR ALLOWED TO HAPPEN. i wish you all the best of luck
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    lanmonkey wrote: »
    They also refuse to accept the document now and refuse to reinstate my policy. I have to send them my certificate of insurance back and they are going to charge me a £75 admin fee. I have to get new car insurance now too before they send me any money back. I have been properly screwed over.

I will NEVER user ADSA for any financial services again. Can they really get away with being this !!!!?

You can appeal their decision, and escalate the matter all the way if they refuse your appeal. (Read up on their complaints procedure in your policy)

They are able to demand the return of the certificate before refunding your money, but cannot make the condition that you must take out new insurance before they will pay you. So challenge this and escalate it to a manager should they continue to try and enforce this.

You may have difficulty getting new insurance (it may be that having this cancellation (currently) on your record makes getting a new policy very expensive), and they have no right to insist you do.
  • muddyl
    muddyl Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would ask them to for proof that they attempted to contact you via email. Threaten then with freedom of information if they refuse at first saying you will pay to request them by law.

If they cant prove the attempt, they may be forced to back down. Also, if you still have the original letter requesting the documents, double check they they never requested the counter part. If so, let them know you'll be going to the FSA.
  • lanmonkey
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You may have difficulty getting new insurance (it may be that having this cancellation (currently) on your record makes getting a new policy very expensive), and they have no right to insist you do.

When I was on the phone to them this morning I questioned this and they said that I didn't have to tell other insurers about this and they apologised for the strong wording of the letter.

I have since purchased new insurance with a someone else who is well known name in the insurace market (for what thats worth). I didn't really want to but I had to as I need to drive to work. I'm gonna have to try and get my moey back from ASDA now. Gonna send a complaint to their head office and the FSA.
    Threaten then with freedom of information if they refuse at first saying you will pay to request them by law.

I thought you could only do that to public bodies not private companies?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2011 at 10:37AM
    Options
    lanmonkey wrote: »
    they said that I didn't have to tell other insurers about this and they apologised for the strong wording of the letter.

Insist on them putting this in writing to you.

Whenever you apply for a quote, one of the questions insurers ask is "have you ever had a policy cancelled?"

As you have experienced their poor attention to detail, you do need to have their assurance about this in writing should it come up again in future.

At the moment they can point to the existing correspondence telling you your responsibility to inform others about this. The phone call you have had cannot be used by you years in the future as "proof" they were in the wrong!

(You are correct about FOI applying to public authorities, though I didn't bring that into the discussion!)
  • lanmonkey
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Insist on them putting this in writing to you.

Whenever you apply for a quote, one of the questions insurers ask is "have you ever had a policy cancelled?"

As you have experienced their poor attention to detail, you do need to have their assurance about this in writing should it come up again in future.

At the moment they can point to the existing correspondence telling you your responsibility to inform others about this. The phone call you have had cannot be used by you years in the future as "proof" they were in the wrong!

(You are correct about FOI applying to public authorities, though I didn't bring that into the discussion!)

I phoned them back with the intention of requesting this in writing and was told to email the complaints department. I asked to be put through to someone on the phone as I wanted to get this sorted out now and was told that they are only contactable by email and they will try and respond within 5 working days. I'm putting all this is writing now.

Words cannot express how much I hate ASDA insurance. I went with them as I have always done my shopping at ASDA and thought the gave good service. How wrong I was.
  • somalt
    somalt Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    I think that the problem maybe that the policies are branded as ASDA but are actually administered by another company BDML (I think that's part of Capita) and then the policies are underwritten to a number of insurance companies.

So ASDA have nothing to do directly with policies branded in their name. BDML administer them (and they are a bit hit and miss whenever I have dealt with them.) Then whichever insurance company this was set up with will be charging BDML their cancellation fee which they are foisting on to you.

If their complaints team are taking 5 days to respond to complaints then that would mean that all their complaints are reportable and that's pretty poor complaints practise.

I would have thought it was reasonable for them to make a greater effort to contact you than one email.
  • Frogslegs_2
    Options
    These people at Asda Insurance are just rogues - although they say that what they are doing is legal, just seems like highway robbery to me. They've just managed to mug me for about £160.

Just like IanMonkey, I took out insurance on a car in May. This was a small second car for my daughter to use. It had been insured for a year with the AA, but I went on Confused.com (which I had used to insure my own, primary vehicle a few months earlier) and found the cheaper Asda quote for £236.

I chose this and paid on May 10 - a week before the insurance was due on the car. Unfortunately, during the following days, when sending off the driving licence/NCD details (requested many times by different Asda office workers, even when they had received the details, as a heel-dragging exercise no doubt), it emerged that Confused.com had used my previous details, for my other vehicle, which showed a 5+ years NCD.

The second vehicle I was now insuring only had one year's NCD. Upon finding this out, I asked Asda to re-quote for a one year's NCD. The quotation they gave me was so high - much higher than the AA's original quote - that I said it would be best to cancel the policy and refund me, since by this time, we were only a few days into the policy.

They said there was a £75 cancellation fee. This in itself is extremely high - the AA told me that most insurers charge about £25 for cancellation. Also, I was under the impression that there was some sort of cooling-off period when you took out insurance, when you could change your mind?

Anyway, I resigned myself, reluctantly, to the £75 cancellation fee and sent off the required documents by registered letter. I posted them on 27 May and received the cancellation document dated 30 May, but they then continued emailing me, as if this had never happened, asking for documents and threatening cancellation if I didn't supply them - which would have been funny if it hadn't been so teeth-grindingly irritating.

At £1 a minute, I spent endless time on the phone and finally spoke to a real person who then sent a letter saying that the policy had been cancelled on 30 May - that was 13 days after it had begun (two-week cooling-off period, anybody?)

Since then, I have had to write, ring and hassle them many times to get the refund. It finally arrived, dated 27 September ..... for £70.45. That's £160 less than I gave to them in May.

I spoke (again at £1 a minute) to someone in the complaints department today. He said that the costs deducted from the £236 were £14 for the 13 days before cancellation of the policy (OK, fair enough) the £75 cancellation fee, and then they charged £76.30 as a "non-disclosure fee" for the NCD error, which apparently, he said, is 20% of the entire cost of the insurance.

That they should charge this on a policy cancelled by me is in itself outrageous. But wait a minute, I said, 20% of the £236 I paid is £46 not £76. Ah well, said the man, it's 20% of what you would have paid if you had taken out the policy with the added £150 quoted to change the NCD to one year instead of 5+ years.

I was gobsmacked at this. They had charged me based on a premium for a policy which I had declined! "That must be illegal," I said and he insisted it wasn't - that the FSA approved this and it was in Asda's T&Cs.

This is all so underhand, if you ask me. I shall, of course, be reporting all this to the FSA and to the Insurance Ombudsman (I think there is one of these) but I wonder whether any of the other online insurance companies have this little scam going on, so that cancelling a policy still makes them a tidy sum by ripping off customers? I feel sorry for anyone who has an accident and has to make a claim from this "legitimate company". I'm sure they have a great many other loopholes which will get them out of paying up.
  • kinscool
    Options
    Asda online is the worst insurance company,my advise is stay away from asda thess people are rogue and will rob you in daylight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure