🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PPI - Timeshare agreement signed abroad

Options
Hi All

My dad bought a Tenerife Timeshare and with all the recent news regarding PPI decided to check whether this has affected him in any way. He checked through the account and has noticed that he is paying PPI that he didn't request and wasn't informed would be added.

I have told him he should be able to claim this back but I wasn't sure based on where he signed the agreement. Can he reclaim this considering the agreement was signed abroad, even though the agreement is held with GE Money?

Thanks in advance for your response :)

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

As far as I know a reclaim can still be made no matter what, but I would wait for other opinions on this as well just to be sure.

Good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Striving_to_Succeed
    Options
    di3004 wrote: »
    Hi there

As far as I know a reclaim can still be made no matter what, but I would wait for other opinions on this as well just to be sure.

Good luck.;)

Thanks, that's what I thought but will wait just to be sure.
  • shazlaz
    Options
    Hi did you ever get anywhere with this because we are in exactly the same boat signed for timeshare in Tenerife not knowing about ppi it was through a UK firm GE Money but they have said its nothing to do with them its the time share company, so we sent all the documents off to them months ago and still heard nothing ... very frustrating
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    shazlaz wrote: »
    Hi did you ever get anywhere with this
    User "Striving to Succeed" last logged into the forum in July 2011, so I doubt you'll receive any response to your enquiry.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=522975

Since GE Money didn't sell you the insurance, you need to complain to the Timeshare company who did. If this was prior to 2005, then this pre-regulation and may well account for your frustrating lack of reply. The company can reject your complaint on that basis alone.
  • Catherine_Taylor
    Options
    ... not to mention that a loan for a timeshare is not entirely legal - does your agreement say it's for home improvements by any chance? Perhaps this is why they often deny all knowledge of the timeshare companies that they pay commission to for selling loans from overseas destinations to finance dubious products - see the European Timeshare Directive for more information. Without knowing the full facts this may not be the case, but quite often is.

Also, the timeshare company will not be FSA regulated, which may mean you don't have a claim as it was sold to you by an unregulated body. Another can of worms ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport