We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What options do I have

Options
Ok basically I've hit rock bottom. 25 and unemployed for 6 months, I want to get back into education, more specifically a degree, but I have no idea how I can fund it as I have undertook previous higher education as follows:

HND (2 year course which I stupidly took funding for in hindsight I could of financed with my part time job I had at the time)

I also went on to university for a top up degree which I did not complete as the gap between my HND course and the Degree was too great.

So thats three years of funding, my student debt stands at £10k I believe so I think that rules me out of receiving any type of student loan, I have no job at the moment and no savings so I can't use my own funds to fund it so what can I do... I feel like i'm stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The stock answer, of course, is the Open University. Their courses are of a very high standard; are designed for part-time study (so you could continue if you managed to find some kind of a job); and are delivered by means of distance learning. There is quite a lot of funding available, particularly for the modules that are judged to be relevant to the world of work.
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Options
    There are quite a few normal universities offering undergraduate degrees via distance learning now and funding is available for them so that's worth looking into.

I'm on a bit of a mission at the mo to inform people there are more options than just OU at the mo and it's definately worth investigating if you're going to go through the distance learning route to see what has the best modules for you,the skill application you want and what would be most relevant and enjoyable by you.
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    shegirl wrote: »
    There are quite a few normal universities offering undergraduate degrees via distance learning now and funding is available for them so that's worth looking into.

I'm on a bit of a mission at the mo to inform people there are more options than just OU at the mo and it's definately worth investigating if you're going to go through the distance learning route to see what has the best modules for you,the skill application you want and what would be most relevant and enjoyable by you.

Wouldn't the funding come under ELQ rules though, as it is basically normal part time student finance? That would mean the OP may not receive any funding as he has studied at HE level before.

The OU doesn't count previous study unless the student has an actual degree...
  • shegirl
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    Wouldn't the funding come under ELQ rules though, as it is basically normal part time student finance? That would mean the OP may not receive any funding as he has studied at HE level before.

That's a good point and I actually have no idea! Will go to investigate just so I don't suggest it to somebody else if they wouldn't be able to get funding!!
  • shegirl
    edited 10 July 2011 at 11:51PM
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »

How previous study affects eligibility for the Fee Grant and Course Grant

Courses starting in 2009/10 or earlier

If you already have a Foundation Degree or ‘ordinary’ degree and want to top up your qualification, you’ll only be able to apply for the Fee Grant and Course Grant if the course you want to do meets all of the following conditions:
    • it’s in the same subject as your existing qualification
    • it’s at the same institution where you got your existing qualification
    • you’re starting it directly after taking your existing qualification, without a break in your studies
    • it leads to an honours degree
    If you’re planning to top up a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND) qualification, you can apply for the Fee Grant and Course Grant - even if there’s been a break in your studies, or you’ve changed course, college or university.

Courses starting in 2010/11

For courses starting in 2010/11, you’ll be able to apply for the Fee Grant and Course Grant to help ‘top up’ any lower level qualification – regardless of where you’re studying, what course you’re taking or whether there’s a break in your studies

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Applyingforthefirsttime/DG_171530
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    shegirl wrote: »
    How previous study affects eligibility for the Fee Grant and Course Grant

Courses starting in 2009/10 or earlier

If you already have a Foundation Degree or ‘ordinary’ degree and want to top up your qualification, you’ll only be able to apply for the Fee Grant and Course Grant if the course you want to do meets all of the following conditions:
    • it’s in the same subject as your existing qualification
    • it’s at the same institution where you got your existing qualification
    • you’re starting it directly after taking your existing qualification, without a break in your studies
    • it leads to an honours degree
    If you’re planning to top up a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND) qualification, you can apply for the Fee Grant and Course Grant - even if there’s been a break in your studies, or you’ve changed course, college or university.

Courses starting in 2010/11

For courses starting in 2010/11, you’ll be able to apply for the Fee Grant and Course Grant to help ‘top up’ any lower level qualification – regardless of where you’re studying, what course you’re taking or whether there’s a break in your studies

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Applyingforthefirsttime/DG_171530

Thanks for checking that out, shegirl - looks promising, doesn't it. :)

Only problem for the OP may be that they have received funding for the top up year already...

Is it three years funding you have already received, OP?

As I understand it, you won't need to pay the ELQ fee rate as long as you haven't already graduated, but you may not get full student funding, depending on what it is you want to do.

I'm sure there will be a way though.

We need Taiko on here! :D
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    OP, don't beat yourself up about not self funding your HND - it would still count towards the maximum number of years even if you had.

I agree that there are other ways than the OU to study by distance learning (external degree with the University of London are particularly good) but the OU are very flexible and might be the ideal way of topping up your HND, either in the same subject or by opting to aim for an open degree.

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/
  • mightyboosh
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys, it really is appreciated as i'm at a loss at the moment.

As far as I am aware I have received 3 years worth of funding (2 for the HND and 1 for a related degree course which I did not finish) how do I make sure for certain?

In terms of the OU this does sound interesting, of course my first choice would be to study full time and work part time, however I've read that employers look down upon OU degrees when compared with a conventional degree, anyone have any experience or thoughts on that?

My HND was in Interactive Media and the 'top up' degree I didn't finish was 'Creative Computing' to be honest they sound similar but the material I was taught very much different.

I have A-Levels in IT so was thinking about Comp Sci or Comp Eng, I would dedicate myself wholly to the course as this last six months have been a real low point for me and I would jump at the chance to get learning again and start moving forward.

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In terms of the OU this does sound interesting, of course my first choice would be to study full time and work part time, however I've read that employers look down upon OU degrees when compared with a conventional degree, anyone have any experience or thoughts on that?

If your goal is full-time study then the OU is not for you, although it might well be easier to find funding that way.

I must disagree with what you have heard about the view of employers. Open University courses are generally judged to be of high quality in the Teaching Quality assessment, and OU degrees tend to command a great deal of respect. In particular, when I was considering studying Computing with them (more than ten years ago!) their main level II course had just been given an award for excellence by the British Computer Society. However, some employers do prefer people who have had the full-on university experience, something that cannot be provided by distance learning.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're going to struggle for funding on a full time route, I'm afraid. You'll need to self fund the fees for the first two years, but will still get a maintenance loan.

However, the loophole would be part time funding. If you undertake a course part time, you'll be able to avoid ELQ, providing the course you do is an honours degree. Reason being, previous study isn't counted on a part time application.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure