Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mustang1
    • By mustang1 4th Jul 11, 10:12 PM
    • 249Posts
    • 280Thanks
    mustang1
    Optima Legal - hopeless on my remortgage
    • 4th Jul 11, 10:12 PM
    Optima Legal - hopeless on my remortgage 4th Jul 11 at 10:12 PM
    I received my first mortgage offer from Woolwich on 5 May. A couple of weeks ago, I changed to a reduced rate and received my revised offer on 27 June.

I have always been working towards a completion date for my remortgage of 1 July. Optima Legal wrote to me a couple of weeks ago to say that everything was fine and they were ready to go ahead. I called them last week to check they had received my revised offer letter and they said they had and it was all good to go.

I called on Friday to confirm if it had been completed and they said there was an error on mortgage offer because it says my address is Flat X and on the Land Registry title it says "First Floor Flat" so there isn't a match. They said they now need a new offer letter and Woolwich will have to go back to the surveyor to get this checked

They say it's going to take a couple of extra weeks to get this sorted and it's costing me about £8 a day whilst I'm stuck on Natwest's SVR. I know it's not loads but it's still money.

Can I make a complaint against them? Has anyone had any experience about this? Just so mad that they tell me everything is fine and then at the last minute they raise something they should have noticed 2 months ago!

And breathe....
Page 2
  • sglilley
    Optima Legal - Shower of !!!!

I can't believe the banks are still using this firm of complete Muppets,they are an absolute joke. Similar thread, they had my mortgage deeds signed 58days later, the day before so called completion, they decide to tell me its completedincorrectly, my witness has the same surname (my mother), why o why couldn’t theyhave said that when they first received it.

• Funny old game
    • By Funny old game 27th Jun 14, 3:44 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Funny old game
    You generally can't use a relative, let alone a parent, to sign a deed, they tell you that in the pack.

Irrespective of their timing you should have read the literature.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 27th Jun 14, 6:00 PM
    • 58,448 Posts
    • 51,818 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I can't believe the banks are still using this firm of complete Muppets,they are an absolute joke. Similar thread, they had my mortgage deeds signed 58days later, the day before so called completion, they decide to tell me its completedincorrectly, my witness has the same surname (my mother), why o why couldn’t theyhave said that when they first received it.

Originally posted by sglilley
    Perhaps they would expect people to read the instructions given. So the final check was just that.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
  • cvn25
    Have been dealing with them since June. (Case was opened 170 days ago to be precise) My re-mortgage forms part of an agreed court order which was due to be settled on 17th October. This is still ongoing which leave me at risk of being "in contempt". They are top of my list of one of the most difficult and slow companies to deal with.

Every correspondence take 2-3 days to "go through the system". They have repeatedly asked for the same things which have already been sent. They say they haven't got things that I know they have as my solicitor has a copy. Deadlines have been missed time and time again

Next time I re-mortgage if they are involved I won't bother !!
    • Mortgage_Mark
    • By Mortgage_Mark 3rd Dec 14, 11:50 AM
    • 851 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Mortgage_Mark
    They are a pain in the backside from a broker's POV too, they will seldom speak to us, however as various people have pointed out above - they are free so you get what you pay for.

I had a remortgage case recently where they completed when the client didn't want to! The property was downvalued by £50k and that effected the borrowing that he could obtain (he was raising equity for some home improvement works), so there was a challenge to the valuation (which, of course, was unsuccessful) and it just stagnated. Both us and the client told them no further action was to be taken, however they reached the date when completion was originally set for, and went ahead anyway, only trying to call the client to confirm. As they couldn't get hold of him, they transferred the funds anyway.

Shocking. Thankfully they managed to properly correct the transaction and get the previous mortgage reinstated but still.
    I am a mortgage adviser.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • LyndonRoberts2015
    • By LyndonRoberts2015 7th Apr 16, 11:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LyndonRoberts2015
    Worst Legal Company Ever!!!!
    Optima Legal has got to be the worst legal company i have ever come across, you get allocated a case handler but you can never get to speak to her no matter how many times you call and you WILL NOT get an email reply, every time you ring you get fobbed off and they always say "i'll call you back" (because they don't know the answer) but never do.

a simple re-mortgage should take 3-4 weeks max but my case has been opened for 68 days now and still no end in sight with 3 redemption figures later.

Optima Legal employ a load of donkeys who lack passion, sense and drive.
    • minimike2
    • By minimike2 7th Apr 16, 1:36 PM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 1,480 Thanks
    minimike2
    Holy thread revival, Batman!
    I am a mortgage industry professional. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Viking13
    • By Viking13 7th Apr 16, 2:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Viking13
    Good to see they are still terrible after all this time
    Same goes for me, they are a joke. I'm currently 90 days in and both myself and my ex are very stressed out. I'm constantly asking for updates and despite me chasing them repeatedly I have not once spoken to my case adviser! Still no end in sight. They did nothing on the case for over a month, I called to pay the transfer of equity and it then took another month for them to send the forms! Been charged £13/day interest by existing lender and the early repayment charge is also creeping up as a result! Made three payments since they requested the 1st redemption statement but am now £1,000 worse off! Will never be tempted by 'free legals' ever, ever, ever again. Will defo be lodging a complaint. Pah.
    • fedupshep
    • By fedupshep 17th Apr 16, 8:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fedupshep
    Optimas the Terrible
    Yes, they are still extremely bad. You do not have a case handler as these people are basically a conveyance factory and can only really operate because there may be 1 qualified person amongst a workforce of loads. When having any dealings with Optima under any circumstances make sure that every phone call received or made to/from them - time, name and conversation content is diarised. This also goes for anyone else in connection with your application as it's all provides the full picture of events. Do not ever send them original documents even if they insist. After they've messed up which they inevitably will, write a lengthy complaint letter to the Managing Director (who will probably laugh which proves how arrogant they are) including the diary details. A copy should also go to the Managing Director of whichever finance company your using together with copies going the Financial Ombudsman even for their records. I did all of this and got a very good response (and compensation) via the finance company I was using but its obvious not a lot of notice was taken long term. Optima MD secretary called me trying to get me not take the complaint as far as it can go, even admitting they had employed people off the street who had no experience whatsoever. This company thoroughly disgusted me which only fuelled my enthusiasm not to be bullied. The biggest moral of the story is use your own solicitor/conveyance even if you have to pay.
    • Whitehr1973
    • By Whitehr1973 5th Jan 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Whitehr1973
    I feel your pain, they are absolutely useless. They held up my application as there was a restriction on the deeds (although we have remortgaged 3 times in 11 years with no issues). Only after bitterly complaining and insisting on speaking to a legally trained person or a Mangers under threat that i would instruct the lender i was going use my own solicitor's did I get anything useful in the way of advise.

They can request the full deeds from your lender for free, but refused. I had to pay £22.50 to get a copy of my deeds to understand the restriction (which clearly states doesn't apply to residential dwellings if they had done any work they would have seen yes straight away). I am now waiting for them to confirm what happens next and agree a date.

Any one remortgaging offered the free conveyance service by your Lender (Mine is Nat West) it's worth doing a quick cost benefit analysis and get a qoute from an independent solicitor. In our case the delay has cost us £280 in savings so far (month delay in switching lenders) I could have instructed my own solicitor for that and benefiting from my new rate by now.

I realise not everyone savings will be as significant, but if they are get qoutes for your own conveyance, it's quicker, simpler and much less hassle than these call centre 'computer says no!' Clowns.
    • Maxcooper
    • By Maxcooper 11th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maxcooper
    Pathetic
    It matters not one bit is they offer a free or reduced cost service, if a serivice is offered and a time scale agreed they should abide by that commitment. This bunch of cowboys have taken over five months for a simple transfer of deeds for which I was quoted four to six weeks.
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 24th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    I am 84 days into my remortgage with Coventry, who use Optima for free legals. For the past few weeks, there has been no progress. Every piece of paperwork has been supplied and there is nothing else needed according to the Dashboard........ and yet no completion date set and no response to my many emails over the last few days. I'm left wondering if everyone's abandoned ship.
    • ec9wrr
    • By ec9wrr 8th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    ec9wrr
    Terrible. I am only remortgaging so thought whats the worst that can happen if I use the free legal service? They have an online portal, that should be good I thought.

I've emailed three times and sent 27 messages on the online portal. The portal says all messages are responded to within 48 hours. It's now been two weeks and I've had no reply. Not a single reply.

I've just sent them notification that I will be charging for each time I have to call them. It seems calling is the only way to get an answer! Even then they're useless. When I asked for clarification on a fee they said it would be "around £40 to £70". Well which is it, I asked. 4 minutes on hold and they still didn't know what it would be. "the fee depends on the bank you're using". Ok, so my bank is xxx what's the fee? Still no reply.
    • onetwothree.
    • By onetwothree. 10th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    onetwothree.
    Avoid Optima Legal at all costs!
    This firm is dreadful. They represented my mortgage company, so i had no choice about using them.
    They charged me £300, messed up my mortgage, so that the offer ran out and I lost the mortgage. I haven't had any money back from them. When I rang to ask what was going on (and for a change they actually answered the phone) they charged me £50 for the call with no warning that it was a premium rate line. They lost papers, continually spelt my name wrong, the name of the property wrong, they lost papers I had sent them .......No one I dealt with was even a legal exec, let alone a lawyer, and they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.
    Unbelievable. I used to be a solicitor so I really do know an incompetent service when I see it
    • pepperpop
    • By pepperpop 10th Apr 18, 6:03 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    pepperpop
    Im thinking probably the best thing to do would be to get in contact with the mortgage company who use them and get them to complain.
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 10th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Glover1862
    They get there eventually, my remortgage took a while, they are owned by Capita, says it all really!!

I used entact for a btl again with cbs and they were very quick, 10 day and two text messages and all done.
    • dowukripper
    • By dowukripper 11th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dowukripper
    Optima Legal 2018
    The service supplied was first class we had a trouble free remortgage through HSBC who use Optima as their legal agent.

They use an online Portal where you can upload any required documents and the telephone help is again first class.
    Im posting because the last post is several years old and companies do read their own feed back and can change.

I presume they have as I would recommend
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 7,630 Posts
    • 7,758 Thanks
    davidmcn
    companies do read their own feed back and
    Originally posted by dowukripper
    ...ask their staff (again) to post positive reviews?
    • Chalice1017
    • By Chalice1017 16th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chalice1017
    Optima are an AWFUL company
    It is not about patience! Optima are offering a service and they are paid; does the fact that the borrower is not paying make it OK for them to ignore comms and deny the existence of documents just because 1 letter of the postcode is incorrect? I have never known an organisation so flagrantly appalling. My remortgage took over 3 months and FIVE offers from Halifax to complete. After I complained their response was 'I feel we have reprocessed your mortgage effectively and efficiently'. Well I do not, and neither will they once I have enlightened them to certain facts they've conveniently left out of their investigation. I am so angry. Patience?! This company doesn't DO anything unless they're hounded daily from all directions!! If you look up employee reviews for this company you may even start to feel sorry for the poor souls answering their phones; they are clearly suffering even worse than the borrowers. Thank heavens I didn't pay directly for their 'service' since it is worth less than nothing.
    You may think I'm done ranting but if anyone else tries to say 'well it' s free so what do you expect' you'll find I haven't even started.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

436Posts Today

5,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin