where and how to sell 'gift' standard life shares

i have held standard life since the beginning and can only ever remember seeing the shares being held in an account' and they were saleable through a dedicated site/ service. İ know this has changed over the years and i am looking to sell soon--i have no actual share certificate(i dont think?) and i dont know the account number for the service that took over from the original scheme --i am out of the uk so i cant see my mail or stuff connected to this but would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction!
mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.

Comments

• Too_Bloo
    Too_Bloo Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This site should point you in the right direction

https://www.standardlifeshareportal.com
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    as i am not home and my dividends are paid directly into my bacc--where do i find out my share acc number to register on the portal---will it be the reference on my dividend payment?(it do i have to wait to get home to scour paperwork?
  • barak
    barak Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    de1amo wrote: »
    .....--where do i find out my share acc number to register on the portal---will it be the reference on my dividend payment?.....
    Yes, your shareholder's account number is normally shown on a dividend voucher. On my dividend vouchers where the registrars are Capita [like yours] it is the "Investor Code" that is my Shareholders' Reference [not the "Reference No."] and that's what you need to register on the share portal. :)
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
  • de1amo
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i get my dividends by email notification and they just ****** star out the dividend number!! the reference number on the actual payent of the money into my account doesnt work!!--i looked through the 'shareholder info and could find no easy answer!
  • barak
    barak Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    de1amo - You really need find out whether -
    [1] you have [or should have] a share certificate and are therefore on the shareholders' register - which will enable you to sign up with the share portal and sell your shares through the registrar [Capita] or any other broker or
    [2] your shares are held in a nominee account - in which case you will not be on the shareholders' register and will have to deal with the nominee company.

You could try contacting Capita although I'm not sure how much information they will give you on the phone or by email. I suppose
    they might confirm whether or not you are on the register of shareholders.

Capita Registrars - General Registration Communication
    Telephone:
    (from outside the UK: +44 (0) 20 8639 3399)
    Lines are open Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5.30pm
    Facsimile: +44 (0) 20 8639 2220
    E-mail: [EMAIL="ssd@capitaregistrars.com"]ssd@capitaregistrars.com[/EMAIL]
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
  • de1amo
    Combo Breaker First Post
    this registrar has become very difficult since they stopped the original share dealing service--sl shares are a real dog and i sense they have made it difficult for people to sell. we are not all sat at home waiting for the ceo to snail post us.--i am used to companies going from 'new share' to sending out the share certificates and not just changing 'numbers'--just proves what a crap company they are!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure