Moneyway problem

Options
Hi,

Contacting on behalf of my mom (60yrs old) who has been a customer with Moneyway(formerly Secure Homes) for 10+ years.

She has recentl decided to close her account with them, only to be informed that she owes them over £400.

In the last 18 months she has been sent 2 cheques from them for £500+ and £200+, as they told her she was in credit. She used the money to do some work on her house.

Mom is really stressed as she doesn't have that kind of money lying around to pay back.

I think they have mis managed her account, and she shouldn't have to pay them back.

They have never written to her and told her she was in arrears, only when she chooses to close the account, do they spring this on her.

What should we do and say?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Socceroo73 wrote: »
    Hi,

Contacting on behalf of my mom (60yrs old) who has been a customer with Moneyway(formerly Secure Homes) for 10+ years.

She has recentl decided to close her account with them, only to be informed that she owes them over £400.

In the last 18 months she has been sent 2 cheques from them for £500+ and £200+, as they told her she was in credit. She used the money to do some work on her house.

Mom is really stressed as she doesn't have that kind of money lying around to pay back.

I think they have mis managed her account, and she shouldn't have to pay them back.

They have never written to her and told her she was in arrears, only when she chooses to close the account, do they spring this on her.

What should we do and say?
    Have they explained why the £400 is owed?

If not, ask for an explanation.
  • llanigon
    Options
    I to have the same problem with Moneyway.
    I was sent a letter from Talon saying I owe £1400. Talon is part of Moneyway Debt Recovery.
    I closed my account over 2 years ago and they only started to chase me last year and I am still fighting with them now as I can’t understand how the account got so bad when I was told I was in credit!!!
    Please fight them, don’t let them win until they have given you a full statement of account from when you first opened your account until the date you closed it. (They still won’t give me mine for some strange reason!!!)
    Proof that all the bills had been paid as I am getting chased for some bills there where looking after and should of been paying (again still waiting for them to send proof to me)

They are not very helpful when it comes to asking for help at all, so fight them and you sit tight and wait for the information you need before you pay any money towards them. If they send threatening letters send the harassment letter back to them as legally they should send you the information you have requested!

I have heard many complaints about them now and would never ever recommend using them to anyone

Good luck and keep us posted and I will let you know how we get on also!!
  • Big-guy_4
    Options
    I had a major issue with Money Way, Years ago they were a helpful friendly service but since the name change they seem to have become less helpful. I had my account since 2002 & had the PPI option since then, during 2009 I was put on short time & struggled but managed to pay my bills. We would telephone them on a regular basis to see if all was OK to which they would inform us all was fine. 2 or 3 days later I would get a letter saying they couldn't pay a bill due to a lack of funding. The final nail was when they bounced a mortgage payment & this has never happened to me in 10 years, I was stunned. I decided to pull all the payments from them & transfer them back to my bank via a DD. I had just started up my business in October 2009 & just started to earn a decent wage but I was tied up with paper work, compounding my day to day living we were fighting to save our first unborn child & spent many a night in hospital. At the end of Feb 2010 we lost our fight & we were given the shocking news that my wife could have had a molar pregnancy & she was at risk of cancer if it wasn't monitored & surgery was carried out. At the end of Febuary 2010 I sent MoneyWay a letter explaining we were not happy & we wanted to part company & could they let us know what was owed so we could sort matters out. We heard nothing for 2 months then a letter from a Talon debt collectors demanding a payment of some £2200. I was shocked, I couldn't work out how they came to this figure, I complained & they bounced it back to Money Way who sent a statement of accounts which is something I had never seen. Even with me not paying my onebill account they had forced over £1000 of PPI, shocking as they managed not to pay any bill for my account being some £600 behind through 2009. They seem to be interested in there own pockets & have no interest in there customers. It is clear that telephoning them to explain a situation doesn't work & in the end you have to resort to a pointed letter of complaint. I have now payed off all my debt owed & have now been looking into claiming back my PPI. One thing that wasn't clear is the schedule of liabilities doesn't inform you how much you pay for your PPI & I only found out after I demanded a full statement. Some may saywhy didn't you sort things out before but if you were in our shoes back then you would understand how bad things were.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure