Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Jobseekers allowance for over 60s
    • #1
    • 3rd Apr 11, 10:26 PM
    Jobseekers allowance for over 60s 3rd Apr 11 at 10:26 PM
    Right then, I am 60 years old, have never claimed a bean in my life and was self employed for 40 years with all tax and NHi contributions up to date.

    I gave up my business a couple of years ago.. I just felt worn out, no specific illness or injury, just had enough..

    I own my own home and have about 50k in savings plus receive 110 a month personal pension..

    I work as a TV "extra" about one day a month, which earns about 80 a time .

    I can see that if I live to a decent age, my savings are not going to last... SO...If I go along and sign on for jobseekers allowance, am I likely to get any ??? and will they seriously expect to find me work at my age....?
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 3rd Apr 11, 10:37 PM
    • 11,156 Posts
    • 7,327 Thanks
    • #2
    • 3rd Apr 11, 10:37 PM
    • #2
    • 3rd Apr 11, 10:37 PM
    There are 2 types of Jobseekers allowance - contribution based and income based but both of them require you to be looking for work
    If you had been self employed it is likely that the NI contributions you made, whilst counting towards your pension, will not count for CB JSA
    Your savings will discount you from IB JSA so you may have to wait till pension etc kicks in before receiving anything
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 4th Apr 11, 1:02 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 2,401 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    • #3
    • 4th Apr 11, 1:02 AM
    • #3
    • 4th Apr 11, 1:02 AM
    You won't get JSA but might well be entitled to pension credit (unless you live with a partner who has an income which takes you over the threshhold as it would be assessed jointly). You can apply once you have reached state pension age (if you are a woman), or the state pension age of a woman your age (if you are a man!). See calculator. So if you were born before October 1950 you could claim pension credit now (Pension Service 0800 99 1234 ).

    Because your income is so low, you would get it even with your 50k savings. It wouldn't be much (less than 20 a week) but you'd also get council tax benefit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,746Users online

Martin's Twitter