PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Single Money Saver living on my own

Options
hiya, i have a flatmate but we tend to eat seperatley - mostly because I like to eat healthily and she ash takeaways every night!

Just wondering how much you spend on food a month/week? I'm trying to stick to £40 a month (this is my first month of doing it) is this realistic?
***PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT***

Reclaimed my bank charges - got £250 back from HSBC and £88 from First Direct :)

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    It certainly can be. I would recommend you go to the library and look for some cookery books aimed at Students - they have great recipe ideas for one, obviously aimed at a small budget and any recipes which feature for more than 1 can be frozen into individual portions for you to eat/share at a later date.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a student living on my own in term-time. On average I spend £7/week on groceries, but I do usually start the term with some stuff in my storecupboard.
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd say no way - lol But please prove me wrong, I spend about £30 a week on food stuff and think £10 a week is impossible!!
    Just look at some of the basics - £5 per week on fruit, £1 milk, £2 cerial then you've got to start looking at your main meals !!
  • crana999
    Options
    £5 per week on fruit? :eek: what do you buy?!
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crana999 wrote:
    £5 per week on fruit? :eek: what do you buy?!
    Suppose I eat more than most but still not a lot - a Bannna,Apple,Orange a day. May be not £5 but not far off if that makes sense - lol
    If you like meat, thats goin to be a few £ a week. I'm still not convinced that a healthy diet can cost less than £10 a week
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sureeks wrote:
    hiya, i have a flatmate but we tend to eat seperatley - mostly because I like to eat healthily and she ash takeaways every night!

Just wondering how much you spend on food a month/week? I'm trying to stick to £40 a month (this is my first month of doing it) is this realistic?

what is this £40 going to cover? is it only your evening meals or is it your entire food budget?

ie will you be buying stuff for lunch and breakfast and snacks out of that?

will it have to cover any other household items like tea, coffee, biscuits, washing up liquid, salt, seasonings, vinegar (dont start ...), washing powder or is it purely for you and the food you consume?

if its only for your food and mainly three solid meals a day then I reckon you can do it if you dont mind cooking things from scratch and planning your meals well in advance and utilising and special offers that crop up.
    Blah
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    Aletank wrote:
    I'd say no way - lol But please prove me wrong, I spend about £30 a week on food stuff and think £10 a week is impossible!!
    Just look at some of the basics - £5 per week on fruit, £1 milk, £2 cerial then you've got to start looking at your main meals !!

£2.00 on cereal?! a week? what are you buying - the variety boxes? with the greatest respect, I think we can flatten your £30 a week with little or no prob. i feed me, my mum, my two cats and all my visitors for less than that ;) step up toe the plate and take on the challenge yourself :D
    Blah
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    I've just realised your name is ale tank not alan tek

I love being dyslexic ;)

does your £30 include some tinnies?
    Blah
  • crana999
    Options
    Aletank wrote:
    Suppose I eat more than most but still not a lot - a Bannna,Apple,Orange a day. May be not £5 but not far off if that makes sense - lol
    If you like meat, thats goin to be a few £ a week. I'm still not convinced that a healthy diet can cost less than £10 a week

Well, I buy a lot of fruit & veg, and I think my diet is pretty healthy, but I don't spend that much on food. I'm vegetarian, which probably helps.

Seriously though where do you buy this fruit from? I only have access to Sainsbury's Central and a market.. I normally get Sainsbury's Basic apples (62p for 1.5kg, about 8p each), satsumas/clementines or similar from the market (8 or 10 for £1), occasionally bananas (about 13p each) or kiwis (8 for 99p on offer).

One banana, one satsuma, and one apple on that would cost less than half what you're paying..! (I don't know about oranges. I don't like them!) and it is cheaper if you eat more apples and fewer bananas and satsumas.

Why don't you try writing down all your groceries and their prices for a week - stick your list up and I'm sure we can help ;)
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    I'm with you on 100% this crana999 I average 10 or 15p per piece for fruit MAXIMUM - I buy whatever is the best value on the day wherever I am so even five bits a day @ 15p = £5.25 so 10p for three portions a day is only £2.10

I usually have two portions of fresh fruit a day and lots of fresh or frozen veg (again whatever is in season and cheap!)
    Blah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport