Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 February 2011 at 10:51AM in Debt-free wannabe
This thread is specifically to discuss the booklet

To discuss or ask a question just click 'reply'. Thanks!

(This thread was also used for discussing an early sneak peek of the guide, so some of the early notes include suggestions for that.)
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• nee-naw
    nee-naw Posts: 73 Forumite
    Excellent work Martin .... very well done. :money:Hero to the masses.

Congratulations on a job well done!!!:T
  • tugrin
    tugrin Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A very much needed piece of literature addressing a problem which is the economic equivalent of the diabetes epidemic. It is stunning that you have been left to deal with this issue single handedly without help from government/ business - you should on the honours list for the help you provide to all of us anyway - but this excellent booklet should lead to a knighthood at least!
    debt free 2021 at current DMP rate[/COLOR] (probably be in an old peoples home by then)
  • I am so glad that you have taken the time to put this together. It needs publicity and my guess is there will be so many people who identify with it immediately.

This subject has been swept under the rug for far too long now...it needs to be recognised & discussed openly.
  • madhouse
    madhouse Posts: 390 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 17 February 2011 at 9:11PM
    Fantastic Martin,Jenny and Marianne as a full time parent and carer to a young adult with Asperger's syndrome, I've learnt a lot from this already. Our son has very poor communication skills and although I am an appointee for him he handles his own benefit money. It has taken years of tuition to make him understand the value of money, and his Dad will now joke he's so aware he's tight! But I worry about what will happen one day when we are not available to guide or protect him and this has given me reassurrance that he already has some protection. Well done and thank you, I look forward to the finished copy.:T:T
  • Excellent work martin, I am one of the many unfortunate people who have debt and suffer from a mental health problem. Unfortunately there still is some stigma attached to mental health and some people are not willing to admit having such a problem. i have been lucky to have a very supportive family, employer and have received help through work initiatives. One such initiative is "beating the blues" and excellent cbt programme that helps change a negative to a postive, helps so much!
  • Just downloaded this...fantastic Martin...you deserve a big thank you
  • Great document.:T

I have one query based on personal experience:

p34
    "Take advantage of disability discounts
    If you receive disability living allowance (DLA), there is a raft of discounts available. One of the best is a Disabled Persons Railcard, which costs £18 and cuts a third off your ticket and an adult companion’s – they don’t have to be a carer.
    To qualify, you must get Attendance Allowance or the disability living allowance.
    People receiving certain benefits get reduced fees and charges at most libraries. Ask at your local one to see what it offers."

I believe that Disabled Persons Railcard and other Travelcards are only available for people on higher rate mobility. Certainly on the lower rate I have been told that I cannot obtain one. Please tell me I am wrong because travel is getting so impossibly expensive.

Also it is very humiliating to prove to all and sundry that one is receipt of benefits eg at the library where you can be well-known to the librarians. Have you any advice on how to prove your right to reductions without producing lots of papers?
  • Hi Martin

On page 18 - it refers to cutting off the water supply as a last resort - in fact cutting off a domestic water supply is illegal, no matter how big the debt. Of course, this would not stop the water company taking action in the courts for a CCJ but the water supply must still stay connected nonetheless.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Very impressive & imformative :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vorobyey wrote: »
    Great document.:T

I have one query based on personal experience:

p34
    "Take advantage of disability discounts
    If you receive disability living allowance (DLA), there is a raft of discounts available. One of the best is a Disabled Persons Railcard, which costs £18 and cuts a third off your ticket and an adult companion’s – they don’t have to be a carer.
    To qualify, you must get Attendance Allowance or the disability living allowance.
    People receiving certain benefits get reduced fees and charges at most libraries. Ask at your local one to see what it offers."

I believe that Disabled Persons Railcard and other Travelcards are only available for people on higher rate mobility. Certainly on the lower rate I have been told that I cannot obtain one. Please tell me I am wrong because travel is getting so impossibly expensive.

Also it is very humiliating to prove to all and sundry that one is receipt of benefits eg at the library where you can be well-known to the librarians. Have you any advice on how to prove your right to reductions without producing lots of papers?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/PublicAndCommunityTransport/DG_4001063

Eligibility
    To qualify, you must meet at least one of the criteria listed below. The application form lists the proof you will need to confirm that you're eligible for a Railcard.
    You qualify if you:
    are registered as visually impaired
    are registered as deaf or using a hearing aid
    have epilepsy and have repeated attacks even though you receive drug treatment
    have epilepsy and are currently prohibited from driving because of your epilepsy
    receive Attendance Allowance
    receive Severe Disablement Allowance
    receive the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
    receive the higher or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
    receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
    receive War or Service Disablement Pension for a disability of 80 per cent or more
    are buying or leasing a vehicle through the Motability Scheme
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport