How Much To Charge For Recorded Delivery?

Options
Hi,

I'm about to start selling on eBay, and was planning on selling some old computer GPU's and RAM that seem worth a bit on ebay now. (high end AGP's and 1GB DDR ram sell for around £10+ each.)

The thing is, how much would royal mail charge for something that is around:

1) 7" in lenght, and 5" in width - This is for most of the GPU's
2) 6" in lenght, 2" in width - This is for the RAM.

I don't want to overcharge to not scare people away, but I don't want to undercharge either as it will come out of my pocket.

Thanks!

Comments

• chancesare_2
    chancesare_2 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    You can use the price finder on Royal Mails website. With normal first and second class you are covered to £41 in value if the item goes missing.

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc

Be aware that Paypal and Ebay item not received claims are only covered if you supply a tracking number (showing delivery), recorded is 74p on the price of first or second and gives no more compensation and doesn't always track.

You have to decide if you want to be 74p cheaper than some sellers but with the same overall protection. If you are subject of a Ebay or Paypal dispute you can refund but claim from Royal Mail.
  • Adams1
    Adams1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    chancesare wrote: »
    You can use the price finder on Royal Mails website. With normal first and second class you are covered to £41 in value if the item goes missing.

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc

Be aware that Paypal and Ebay item not received claims are only covered if you supply a tracking number (showing delivery), recorded is 74p on the price of first or second and gives no more compensation and doesn't always track.

You have to decide if you want to be 74p cheaper than some sellers but with the same overall protection. If you are subject of a Ebay or Paypal dispute you can refund but claim from Royal Mail.

Thanks budd, Recorded (Signed For) First Class will only cost £2.98 for 500 grams. Thats not bad me thinks.

You have confused me a little when it came down to the whole "but with the same overal protection" thing. Are you telling me that if I where to send recoreded delivery, that the thing is not really trackable?
  • chancesare_2
    chancesare_2 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    Adams1 wrote: »
    Thanks budd, Recorded (Signed For) First Class will only cost £2.98 for 500 grams. Thats not bad me thinks.

You have confused me a little when it came down to the whole "but with the same overal protection" thing. Are you telling me that if I where to send recoreded delivery, that the thing is not really trackable?

This board is littered with people complaining that the recorded delivery they sent/received has not tracked.

If someone is going to say they haven't received it, then you can claim from RM up to £41. So, why take the expensive option? It is entirely up to you, but buyers like cheap postage and if they don't get it, they will mark down your stars and you will put your account in jeopardy.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,236 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 January 2011 at 5:19PM
    Options

Recorded is not a trackable service, you pay an extra 74p for a signature but in many areas that is never obtained. So for the purposes of a paypal claim it is rarely worth bothering with.

Also remember that ultimtely it is the seller that pays the postage and if you send say 50 items a month that is going to cost you £37 extra for recorded. You would have to meet a lot of dodgy uyers to make that worthwhile.

Also remember that if you can pack the items thin enough to go as a large letter you can get 500grammes for £1.32 (without recorded)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I'm about to start selling on eBay, and was planning on selling some old computer GPU's and RAM that seem worth a bit on ebay now. (high end AGP's and 1GB DDR ram sell for around £10+ each.)

The thing is, how much would royal mail charge for something that is around:

1) 7" in lenght, and 5" in width - This is for most of the GPU's
    2) 6" in lenght, 2" in width - This is for the RAM.

I don't want to overcharge to not scare people away, but I don't want to undercharge either as it will come out of my pocket.

Thanks!

Work on around £2.50 for the GPUs including the Jiffy bag and the last RAM I sent 1st Class Recorded cost me £1.40.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure