Really Unsure where to start with ACE catalogue

Options
xxlaurissaxx
xxlaurissaxx Posts: 2,253 Forumite
edited 11 March 2011 at 2:17PM in Debt-free wannabe
I am writing this as I have offered to help my Aunty with her struggle with ACE catalogue.

She bought 2 jackets and a bike for around £200 altogether around [STRIKE]6 years [/STRIKE]ago in 2001 and has been paying them around £50 a month for nearly 6 years:eek: She is a pensioner and is now struggling with the payments. I am guessing they just keep adding interest on and that why she has paid so much.

I am looking for help as to getting this stopped as she has more than paid the 3 items over and over again. She has only recently told me about this or I would have done something sooner.

How do I go about helping her :o I feel really sorry for her and want to help her out. I really dont know whaere to start though. Is it similar to reclaimimg PPI?

Does she need to write to them asking for a statement or anything first?

Many Thanks, any help will be really really appreciated.

xxlaurissaxx
0/2013
:beer:

Comments

• honeybear68
    Options
    I would ask her to give them a call when you are there and give permission for them to speak to you regarding the account, find out exactly how much she spent and what her balance is and go from there like you say she has paid for this more that once with all the 50pm payments she has paid. it is nothing similar to ppi as they are a saving club company almost run similar to the way provident work check the small print,I tink you might find they are part of another company.
    :money:
  • honeybear68
    Options
    thats £3600 for 3 items find out how much these items were at the time of buying them.
  • honeybear68
    Options
    http://catalogueguide.co.uk/acecatalogue.html
    have a look at this web page you will find how many companies are actually attached to ace.
  • honeybear68
    Options
    Terms and Conditions

Credit Agreement Regulated By The Consumer Credit Act 1974

This agreement is between Express Gifts Limited (trading as Ace), whose principal postal address is at Church Bridge House, Church, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 4EE and you.

Key Financial Information

Credit Limit
    We will determine from time to time how much credit you may have under this agreement and will notify you of that amount. The amount of the credit available to you may be advised on statements you receive and in other communications that may be sent to you.
    Payments
    Every 28 days we will send you a statement showing your outstanding balance and the minimum payment amount, payable by you within 21 days (from the date of the statement).
    The minimum payment amount will be 6% of your outstanding balance or £10 (which ever is the greater). You are free to pay off the balance more quickly if you wish. You may pay off the balance in full at any time and no further interest will be payable.
    APR
    We charge the following APR's: 29.5% (Variable) if you pay by direct debit; or 44.9% (Variable) if you pay by other methods.

Other Financial Information

APR Calculation
    In calculating the APR we have not taken into account any changes which we may make to our interest rates, or any other charges which we may introduce or vary at any time by giving you notice.
    Total Charge for Credit
    Example credit limit of £275: If you make purchases up to the full amount of this credit limit, assuming that you repay your outstanding balance over a 12 month period by way of equal instalments (first instalment within 28 days) and that any interest rates remain the same throughout this period, the total charge for credit under this agreement will be £40.56p (if you pay by direct debit) and £59.01p (if you pay by all other methods).
    Interest
    The Interest ("Service Charge") rate is 29.5% per annum if you pay by direct debit or 44.9% per annum if you pay by other methods.
    Provided we receive payment of the entire balance by the date shown on the statement no Service Charge will be applied.
    The Service Charge is variable and is calculated as follows: 2.0 pence in the £1 every 28 days if you pay by direct debit; or 2.9 pence in the £1 every 28 days if you pay by other methods. A minimum Service Charge of £1 shall apply.
    Where any part of an outstanding balance shown on any statement ("Previous Statement") is brought forward to the next statement, we will add a Service Charge to such brought forward balance, together with a pro rata Service Charge in relation to any purchases added to the outstanding balance on your Previous Statement for the period between despatch of each item purchased and the date of the Previous Statement. No Service Charge will be charged on any Default Sums incurred by you after 18th September 2008.
    Allocation of payments
    You hereby direct us and you agree that such direction is repeated at the time of making every payment, to allocate payment to the sums which make up your outstanding balance in the following order: 1. All Default Sums as charged and shown on your statements; 2. All Service Charges as charged and shown on your statements; 3. All Payment Protection Plus Property premiums as charged and shown on your statements; 4. All other financial products supplied as charged and shown on your statements; 5. All purchases of goods and services shown on your statements; 6. All purchases of goods and services not yet shown on a statement.

Key Information

Charges
    Default Sums: Should you fail to make a payment or pay less than the minimum amount due by the specified date and we or someone acting for us have to remind you to make such payment, we reserve the right to charge you: a Default Sum of up to £20 each time that we have to remind you; and the amount of any other losses and reasonable costs we incur as a result of your default. These will include (but are not limited to) the costs of tracing you, notifying you of your default and enforcing payment of any amount due. Other Charges: Any purchases you make will be subject to compulsory postage and packing charges. All charges shall be added to your outstanding balance.

No Cancellation Rights
    This agreement is non-cancellable. You have no rights to cancel it under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the Timeshare Act 1992 or the Financial Services(Distance Marketing) Regulations 2004. MISSING PAYMENTS
    Missing payments could have severe consequences and make obtaining credit more difficult.
    IMPORTANT – READ THIS CAREFULLY TO FIND OUT ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS
    The Consumer Credit Act 1974 lays down certain requirements for your protection which should have been complied with when this agreement was made. If they were not, the creditor cannot enforce this agreement without getting a court order.
    The Act also gives you a number of rights. You can settle this agreement at any time by giving notice in writing and paying off the amount which you owe under the agreement.
    If you would like to know more about your rights under the Act contact either your local Trading Standards Department or your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau.

Additional Terms and Conditions

We may change the terms of this agreement. We will tell you about any changes that we make. For example, we may make changes to our Interest or Charges.
    We will tell you about any such changes by either notifying them in or with any invoice, statement, catalogue, or any other separate written notice. Changes will happen at least 7 days after we tell you about them, or upon the expiry of such notice period as is required by law.
    Should you fail to make payments or pay less than the minimum amount due by the specified dates, we reserve the right to treat this failure as a material breach of your obligation to us, in which case we may ask for immediate repayment of your entire outstanding balance in accordance with the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
    We may transfer to any other party any or all of our rights and duties under this agreement at any time (including, without limitation, our duty to provide credit to you). We may do this without telling you. Your rights under this agreement and your legal rights (including those under the Consumer Credit Act 1974) will not be affected.
    If any provisions of this agreement are found to be invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall continue in full force and effect.
    The policy pages of this website and your catalogue contain specific terms and conditions relating to (i) the goods or services which you purchase; (ii) the general operation of your account; and (iii) the processing of your personal data by us.

By placing your order you agree to accept our terms and conditions which include this credit agreement, and you agree to be bound by these provisions and those contained within this website and your catalogue.

top of page
  • xxlaurissaxx
    Options
    Thank you Honeybear68, thats been a huge help. It is really appreciated. She pays by going to the post office so her APR is 44.9% :eek:

Im guessing all she is paying now is interest that keeps getting added on. What should I say/ask them on the phone? Im going to ask how much the items were originally when she bought them, but will they be able to tell how much she has paid over the last 6 years altogether? Also Is there anything else I should ask?
    The payments are really killing her every month and I hate to see her like this.

Im going to her house on Friday lunchtime so will call them on Friday.

Many Thanks

xxLaurissaxx
    0/2013
  • honeybear68
    Options
    you could ask for a payment plan (reduced payments) which she could afford each month bearing in mind they may ask for income and expenditure information. so it may best to be prepared for this. they should be able to give a printout of her statments ask for this but as you can see by the total over 6 years I would have thought the items were paid for unless there have been missed payments and then there would be charges add also.
  • xxlaurissaxx
    Options
    I dont think there was any missed payments as shes normally on top of paying her bills (except when sky kept taking the payments at the wrong date and she incurred bank charges) I will definately aske her tonight though when I call.
    Do you think if it is only interest that she is paying, I should ask them to stop and close her account? Is this worthwhile?

Thanks

xxLaurissaxx
    0/2013
  • honeybear68
    Options
    I dont think there was any missed payments as shes normally on top of paying her bills (except when sky kept taking the payments at the wrong date and she incurred bank charges) I will definately aske her tonight though when I call.
    Do you think if it is only interest that she is paying, I should ask them to stop and close her account? Is this worthwhile?

Thanks

xxLaurissaxx

you could ask them to freeze the account untill it is sorted out hopefully this will stop further interest, have a word first. get the information from them
    • balance
    • statement
    honeybear68.
  • xxlaurissaxx
    Options
    Thank you for all your help. I will call them on Friday and post back what they have said xx
    0/2013
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well,

Even at the 44.9% this debt should have bene paid off in five months, so something very wrong is going on here.

I think you need to ask for A Subject Access request which will produce a full record of all transactions over the last 6 years.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport