What is the support or work-related component of ESA?

Options
I currently claim ESA, but what just wondering what is meant by the support or work-related component of ESA?

I havent had any cold-weather payments and after having looked on the Direct gov site it says:
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are in receipt of Income-related ESA, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments if you also have any of the following:
  • the support or work-related component of ESA
Just a bit confused by what that is. Thanks in advance

Comments

• bargain_huntin
    Options
    Just to add, I also get low rate DLA, but I don't think that is taken into consideration for this.
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These are called components.

After what's supposed to be 13 weeks and your ATOS medical, you are either found able to work and signed off ESA, or they agree that you are too poorly but think there is work you could do so put you in the work related group
    Or can't work at all and place you in the support group.

When you receive a component, your weekly benefit will increase. If you are placed into support group the component is higher than the work related group.

If you look on direct.gov, I think it's got info on there.
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure