Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gingin
    • By gingin 23rd Oct 06, 9:01 AM
    • 2,887Posts
    • 8,948Thanks
    gingin
    Making your own "selection box"
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:01 AM
    Making your own "selection box" 23rd Oct 06 at 9:01 AM
    My children don't eat sweeties that often but I don't mind at christmas, however I find the big commercial chocolate selection boxes contain sweets that are too big for them (i.e I have a 2 year old and would never let her eat a whole full sized chocolate bar). I would like to try and make something up myself but am not sure how to go about it, has anyone got any imaginative ideas for presentation and contents, I am thinking it might be a good value way to bulk out their stocking. My children are 2 and 6.

Thanks
Page 1
  • jamgirl
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:28 AM
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:28 AM
    i've never bought selection boxes for my 3 but buy individual packets i know they like and put them in their stockings.
    i've also never bothered with wrapping them up (bad mother....lol) and they have always been happy.

i'm sure someone who is more creative will be along soon with some presentation suggestions :-)
    • buses7675
    • By buses7675 23rd Oct 06, 9:36 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    buses7675
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:36 AM
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:36 AM
    Hi All,

You should also be able to get various sweets/chocs in multipacks (even BOGOF offers possibly) far far cheaper than buying a selection box, as they are almost always way overpriced for what you really get!

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • Frell
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:38 AM
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:38 AM
    you can get the fun size packs, and use them to make your own selection packs that way.
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 23rd Oct 06, 9:42 AM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:42 AM
    • 23rd Oct 06, 9:42 AM
    Extend the idea of the advent calendar - if you are creative - make somthing that holds a funsize bar of chocolate for every remaining day of the school holidays
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 23rd Oct 06, 11:26 AM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 7,576 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 23rd Oct 06, 11:26 AM
    • 23rd Oct 06, 11:26 AM
    What about those little boxes of smarties or chocolate buttons.
    Jelly babies or jelly tots. They come in quite small amounts.
    You could put the little packets in a jar and let them choose from the sweetie jar. If they get them in a stocking ,they are likely to eat the whole lot at that age.
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 23rd Oct 06, 11:31 AM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 23rd Oct 06, 11:31 AM
    • 23rd Oct 06, 11:31 AM
    You could put 1-a-day-for-the-holidays into a glass kilner jar (cost about £1.50 in IKEA or Lakeland). Decorate with ribbon, (and glass paints if you fancy it!), and a hand-made note from father christmas, explaining that there is one a day.

The seals are really heavy for little fingers to undo, so they would need help to take out their daily treat.

The Easter bunny could fill it up and recycle it as an Easter gift later on.......
    • gingin
    • By gingin 23rd Oct 06, 3:19 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    • 23rd Oct 06, 3:19 PM
    • 23rd Oct 06, 3:19 PM
    You could put 1-a-day-for-the-holidays into a glass kilner jar (cost about 1.50 in IKEA or Lakeland). Decorate with ribbon, (and glass paints if you fancy it!), and a hand-made note from father christmas, explaining that there is one a day.

The seals are really heavy for little fingers to undo, so they would need help to take out their daily treat.

The Easter bunny could fill it up and recycle it as an Easter gift later on.......
    by annie-c

Now that is clever, thanks ever so much . I even have a spare kilner jar and didn't even think of using it for that, I should be able to blag another from my mum.

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

8,311Users online

Martin's Twitter