New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Making your own "selection box"

7 replies 4.2K views
gingin_2gingin_2 Forumite
3K posts
My children don't eat sweeties that often but I don't mind at christmas, however I find the big commercial chocolate selection boxes contain sweets that are too big for them (i.e I have a 2 year old and would never let her eat a whole full sized chocolate bar). I would like to try and make something up myself but am not sure how to go about it, has anyone got any imaginative ideas for presentation and contents, I am thinking it might be a good value way to bulk out their stocking. My children are 2 and 6.

Replies

• jamgirljamgirl Forumite
    215 posts
    i've never bought selection boxes for my 3 but buy individual packets i know they like and put them in their stockings.
    i've also never bothered with wrapping them up (bad mother....lol) and they have always been happy.

i'm sure someone who is more creative will be along soon with some presentation suggestions :-)
  • Hi All,

You should also be able to get various sweets/chocs in multipacks (even BOGOF offers possibly) far far cheaper than buying a selection box, as they are almost always way overpriced for what you really get!

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • FrellFrell Forumite
    171 posts
    you can get the fun size packs, and use them to make your own selection packs that way.
  • annie-cannie-c Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Extend the idea of the advent calendar - if you are creative - make somthing that holds a funsize bar of chocolate for every remaining day of the school holidays :)
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about those little boxes of smarties or chocolate buttons.
    Jelly babies or jelly tots. They come in quite small amounts.
    You could put the little packets in a jar and let them choose from the sweetie jar. If they get them in a stocking ,they are likely to eat the whole lot at that age.
  • annie-cannie-c Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could put 1-a-day-for-the-holidays into a glass kilner jar (cost about £1.50 in IKEA or Lakeland). Decorate with ribbon, (and glass paints if you fancy it!), and a hand-made note from father christmas, explaining that there is one a day. :)

The seals are really heavy for little fingers to undo, so they would need help to take out their daily treat.;)

The Easter bunny could fill it up and recycle it as an Easter gift later on.......:p
  • annie-c wrote:
    You could put 1-a-day-for-the-holidays into a glass kilner jar (cost about £1.50 in IKEA or Lakeland). Decorate with ribbon, (and glass paints if you fancy it!), and a hand-made note from father christmas, explaining that there is one a day. :)

The seals are really heavy for little fingers to undo, so they would need help to take out their daily treat.;)

The Easter bunny could fill it up and recycle it as an Easter gift later on.......:p

Now that is clever, thanks ever so much :). I even have a spare kilner jar and didn't even think of using it for that, I should be able to blag another from my mum.

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas.