Refused MBA card despite 999 credit score

Options
Paying massive interest on a couple of cards at limit so wanted to get an MBNA Platinum cad and do a balance transfer at 0% for a year.

Checked Experian to see what my credit score was like and it's 999 out of 1000.

Thought I'd have no problem but MBA declined me saying I had enough credit. I was not wanting to increase my credit, but simply wanted to make use of their 0% APR and get rid of the other 2 cards.

CAn they turn me down because they think I'm just going to move my balance an will obvioulsy not be paying any interest???

:mad:

Comments

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    CAn they turn me down because they think I'm just going to move my balance an will obvioulsy not be paying any interest???

Yes - they are a business - and like any business they can refuse to do business with anyone they want to.

M.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I suspect they realise they wouldn't make much money out of you.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Credit scoring websites are a waste of time and effort.

Every lender has their own scoring system, so if you wanted to get credit from Experian they would give you 999/1000 but MBNA may only give you a score of 750/1000 and HBOS a score of 3/10

What is important to one lender isnt as important to another.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you already have an MBNA run card?

Or worse, is one of the ones you want to BT from run by MBNA?

https://www.stoozing.com/cards.htm
  • BONJOEY
    BONJOEY Posts: 819 Forumite
    Options
    yes if you already have a card run by mbna , and there are a few, they wont give you another x
  • densol_2
    densol_2 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    I had this with a Virgin card - I wanted to get airmiles. They turned me down and I have a brilliant credit rating. Again I already had two cards with MBNA and I am a little bit of a rate tart so I suppose that is why!
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland :D

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
  • dennyboy
    Options
    Seems to be rife within the credit card industry, they are defo getting picky! I have just been turned down for a capital one Platinum card, my credit record should be excellent, I have never missed a payment on any. Looks like my Nationwide Card will be getting paid from the stooz pot!!! This is the first time I have been turned down, I have got 6 CC at the moment, and Capital one was the first card I was going to pay the 2% balance transfer fee one!! !!!!!!rrr.
  • dazed
    dazed Posts: 881 Forumite
    Options
    do you have cards that have outstanding balances apart from the transfer ones ?

Do you have cards that have zero balances but have limits available to you ?

Post a bit more info please.

MBNA look at your file by a person and on a application to application issue. They are looked at by humans not a number crunching machine.

They will not decline you for being 'picky' rofl
    Man who stands on toilet is high on pot. - Old chinese proverb.
  • Joto_2
    Joto_2 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    Have you spoken to MBNA?

We were refused by M&S and couldn't understand it. The girl we spoke to couldn't understand it either, was very apologetic and authorized the card straight away without any further information given/asked.
    It's always worth a call. If you do have a lot of outstanding balances you could always ask them to do the balance transfer online (is this the one where you need to spend £100 and then clear it? which wouldn't make it 0% but cheaper than you are paying now?
    Good luck.
    Look after the pennies and the £££s will look after themselves
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family