Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 3rd Oct 06, 12:01 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Childcare Vouchers: cut childcare costs by 1,000/year Discussion Area
    • 3rd Oct 06, 12:01 PM
    Childcare Vouchers: cut childcare costs by 1,000/year Discussion Area 3rd Oct 06 at 12:01 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Childcare Vouchers: cut childcare costs by 1,000/year Article

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

For the old thread click here

Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 33
    • andyp200
    • By andyp200 8th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andyp200
    Vouchers and tax credits
    Hello,

I am soon to become a Dad and am already racking my brains about how best to tackle childcare costs. I understand that you cannot collect vouchers whilst also receiving the tax benefit scheme, but was wondering if it was possible/ advisable to start collecting the vouchers from birth and then use them when I send our child to nursery at about 9 months. If I were then to stop collecting via the scheme would I be able to move over to the tax credit 20% off whilst paying the remaining cost in part with the vouchers previously accrued.

I.e is there any way to use vouchers previously earned whilst benefitting from the new scheme? If not, I think I would be marginally better off with the new scheme.

Thanks for any help,
    Andy
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 4,959 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    sheramber
    yes you use any vouchers you have before moving to tax free childcare scheme

https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/childcare-vouchers
    • Ladyst
    • By Ladyst 9th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ladyst
    Just found out when I spoke to my employer's scheme that you can't transfer to a different scheme if you change employers and they use a different voucher provider; you'd still count as a 'new entrant' even if you've been getting vouchers before October 4th when the scheme closes. This means I can't move job for FIFTEEN YEARS if I want to keep getting vouchers! Seems totally unfair.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 4,959 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    sheramber
    It tells you that on the government website.

Similarly, you may move to an employer who does not run a child care voucher scheme. Not all employers do. It is voluntary.

So you choice of new employer was limited anyway
    • Sarah_Connolly
    • By Sarah_Connolly 10th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarah_Connolly
    Having done the comparison for the coming year we would save 500 switching from vouchers to the new tax free scheme. However as my youngest would be eligible for 30 hours free childcare from 3 (he starts nursery shortly at age 1) is there a way of comparing long term savings?
    My eldest is also in childcare before/after school and to note we have no local family so will be relying on childcare for school holidays.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

8,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin